1 1
SethInMI

sky tie repair

years ago I disassembled a sky tie and replaced the cordura with left over tie die from my rig. The elastic in band has failed so I got some new elastic band and am going to disassemble it and replace the band.  Was there anything in how I sewed it (other than my fail on straight lines) that made it prone to failure? (I have maybe 250 jumps on it)

image.png.47a838999360d76ee7d50c5ed6c8442c.png

7 hours ago, SethInMI said:

years ago I disassembled a sky tie and replaced the cordura with left over tie die from my rig. The elastic in band has failed so I got some new elastic band and am going to disassemble it and replace the band.  Was there anything in how I sewed it (other than my fail on straight lines) that made it prone to failure? (I have maybe 250 jumps on it)

Poor quality elastic is the problem here. I made keepers once from what I thought was good 1" elastic. They all stretched out like that in a couple months.

8 hours ago, SethInMI said:

Hi Seth,

At my local fabric store, I recently came across an elastic that they call a 'belting' elastic.

I have not used any of it. 

The ladies at the fabric store told me that it is made to not twist when used in belting.  It comes in 1" and 1 1/2" widths as I recall.

Jerry Baumchen