RStock1981

What is the difference between AFF cert and "A" license?

I am a curious about the sport and was wondering what the difference between an "AFF Solo cert" and an "A" license is? I know with an A license you can jump solo anywhere in the country, but what does an AFF cert actually do?

Also, how much would a AFF course run me total with a few re-jumps if necessary? I know different jump zones vary, but just give me a guesstimate, thanks.

Students get cleared for solo status/self supervision as a part of their student progression. This means they can jump alone, without an instructor, and can also jump with USPA coaches instead of instructors for evaluation jumps as they work towards their A license.

An A license enables jumpers to jump by themselves or with other licensed jumpers at any USPA drop zone (and ones outside the US but policies vary by country). Students at any level can only make student jumps under the appropriate level of supervision for their progress as a student. Each dropzone has their own method for student progression, and while it is possible for a student to move from one dz to another, the specifics are on a case by case basis for each location. To say it another way: the USPA has guidelines for what students are taught, and each dropzone determines how they teach it, so transferability and crossover of students varies.

AFF solo status means you can self supervise your freefall, but still have many restrictions on what you can do.

A license means that you can jump mostly unrestricted at any DZ.

Cost for AFF does vary, but usually ranges from $900-$1100 USD plus between $150-$200 for any jumps you have to do twice.

Before you have your A license, you are still a student.

In the UK, this means you need to have an instructor on the plane with you (even if they are jumping with someone else - this will often mean a higher ticket cost), restricts the size of canopies you can jump compared to a licensed skydiver and the winds you can jump in, as well as (drastically) who can jump with you if you're not doing a solo. I suspect other places are similar.

It will also make it harder for you to jump at dropzones other than the one you are training at - not impossible, but difficult and probably not worth it.

The good news, it doesn't last long. Ten more jumps in the UK, a few more or less in other places plus a little bit of testing.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

GAjumper84

A license means that you can jump mostly unrestricted at any DZ.

Almost any DZ. There are a few out there that, because of their landing area conditions, restrict to higher license jumpers. But they're fairly rare.

Then of course there's the tandem-only places but that's a whole 'nother discussion.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke