yvanpec

international standard way of doin stuff.......

piisfish

For Dubai, Don't expect to Jump the Palm

Again, where do you jump in Switz ?

yup, 500 jumps and a D license. I m visiting Dubai for something else than skydiving, so if I can still squeeze a couple desert jumps i'll be happy.

We visited the Sion DZ last november (or october...) and my buddy and I had a real good time there. So this will probably become my home DZ for the winter and Yverdon for the summer as the club moves there for the summertime. I have heard of excellent things about the Bex DZ as well.

Closest is Annemasse in France but I don't like the staff, I don't like the way they conduct their business, I don't like their plane, I fucking hate them I guess ! :o
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

i kinda brought this up in the welcome-forums..

once you have a swiss license, you're free to go pretty much anywhere. i jumped in the netherlands with my teeny-tiny-towel-canopy, way below what they enforce, no headache; at all.

but you sure as hell do pay for that premium, and put quite a few jumps on top of that as well. it's worth it in the long run.

on the other hand, i've had several US-jumpers come visit, either their insurance wasnt sufficient, or their license.. two out of three didnt get to jump.

as i said in the welcome-forum: we all make our choices and we live with them!

:)

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

... Apparently the french have a progression system for canopy sizing. Given a certain exit weight and a certain amount of jumps, you're given a smallest size canopy you're allowed to jump. First downsize is apparently at about 110 jumps and then 150,200 etc etc....so it's a good idea tu jump there once you have acquired some experience somewhere else I guess or you'll be renting gear for some solid time. ... :)
..................................................................................

The Federation Francais du Parachutisme is just trying to keep you alive.
Down-sizing canopies too early is a leading cause of death.
I have been ranting about wing-loading since 1983.

Even gov't agencies cannot agree on international standards.
For example, about 15 years ago, the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO a branch of the United Nations) agree to simplify airspace by designating it Class A, Class B, etc. This made work way easier for visiting pilots because the letter codes meant the same thing in all countries.
The USA is one of the few countries without Class F airspace (F=fear, be very affeared when flying through Class F airspace because it contains fires, riots and mudslides and military ranges, etc.) Instead, the USA stuck with a bewildering array of Military Operational Areas (MOA), restricted airspace, etc.

riggerrob

I respectfully disagree.
Guns, fast cars, small canopies....don't kill people. It takes a retard to look down the barrel to make sure the barrel's clean, a retard to see how fast his car can take the corner, and a retard so pull hard on a handle 30ft above a grass field.
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

yvanpec

I respectfully disagree.
Guns, fast cars, small canopies....don't kill people. It takes a retard to look down the barrel to make sure the barrel's clean, a retard to see how fast his car can take the corner, and a retard so pull hard on a handle 30ft above a grass field.

Save this post somehow, print it, create a link or anything and if you stay in the sport long enough read it again in 4-5 years.

I'll probably get proven wrong. And I'll admit, and I have no issues with that. :P

In my mind, safety is just a more complex equation than small canopy = death although I am sure it plays a large part in it.

It's more like: canopy type x canopy size x weather x mentality x experience x dropzone x instructors x risk taking = injury OR no injury depending on the inputs. I don't think it's totally stupid of me to think that.

yvanpec

and a retard so pull hard on a handle 30ft above a grass field

Until someone cuts them off out of nowhere on final, and their hand acts before their sense of self-preservation.

Mistakes are really easy to make and we all make them. They just get (mostly) smaller as we acquire experience. The trick is to set yourself up so that your mistakes aren't fatal, and scale your risk as your actual flying ability increases.

The scale of error that can kill you on a small canopy is way smaller than "pulling hard 30ft from the ground". Nowhere near retard levels, believe me.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

jurgencamps

Do you have a Swiss skydiving insurance or only an USPA insurance?
Because if you are not a US citizen or do not have a "green card", USPA does not insure you when you are skydiving in Swiss, France, ...

So, I have a USPA license therefore I am good to go when I come to the states (probably 3-4 times a year) and also a SwissSkydive insurance so i am also good at home :)

it's pretty cheap and has great coverage.

yvanpec

***Do you have a Swiss skydiving insurance or only an USPA insurance?
Because if you are not a US citizen or do not have a "green card", USPA does not insure you when you are skydiving in Swiss, France, ...

So, I have a USPA license therefore I am good to go when I come to the states (probably 3-4 times a year) and also a SwissSkydive insurance so i am also good at home :)

it's pretty cheap and has great coverage.

no license, no insurance. it's pretty simple.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

virgin-burner

hmmmm I emailed the Bex DZ and the nice lady told me the SwissSkydive insurance is a prerequisite to even be able to start getting your license.

So you're saying you're only covered once you are licensed ? this doesnt make sense whatsoever.

yvanpec

hmmmm I emailed the Bex DZ and the nice lady told me the SwissSkydive insurance is a prerequisite to even be able to start getting your license.

So you're saying you're only covered once you are licensed ? this doesnt make sense whatsoever.

dude, if you want to jump here, you will need a swiss license; no getting around it.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

virgin-burner

dude, if you want to jump here, you will need a swiss license; no getting around it.

So how do I get my license if I cant jump because I don't have any insurance ?.....B|

you're thinking backwards here.

Bonjour Yvan,

Merci pour ton intérêt pour l'école de parachutisme Flying-Devil.

Nous reprenons l'activité parachutisme le 2ieme WE de Mars a l'aerodrome de Bex.

Tu es bien sure le bienvenue avec ta licence A, pas de soucis:-)

Par contre il est impératif de contacter SwissSkydive pour assurer ton materiel / pour les dégâts sur tiers qu'il pourrait engendrer pour le montant minimum imposer en Suisse ( 1 Million de francs Suisse). Merci de prendre contact avec Stephan Heinrich: +41 (0) 41 375 01 04.

Par contre si tu habites en Suisse il faudra a plus ou moins long terme passer ton equivalence de licence Suisse.

Nous te souhaitons une excellente journée et nouvelle Année.

Bisous
Lydie
www.flying-devil.com
079 435 12 32

riggerrob

CSPA requires Canadian resident skydivers to buy CSPA membership if they expect to be covered for third-party liability insurance. That insurance covers damages to property of (non-skydiving) third parties if you land on their car, for example.

Is the non-skydiving status of the third party necessary? I know here in the Netherlands our standard third-party liability includes any third party. A friend of mine did his first CRW-coaching jump a while ago. The instructor slapped a radio on the side of his helmet, and his Lightning came with a complimentary riser strike on opening, ripping off the radio (property of the instructor). Insurance covered it completely.

riggerrob

CSPA requires Canadian resident skydivers to buy CSPA membership if they expect to be covered for third-party liability insurance. That insurance covers damages to property of (non-skydiving) third parties if you land on their car, for example.

yeah same here. up to a million bucks I think.

The world standard units for aviation is feet for altitude and nautical mile for distance even in countries using metric system like Canada and Europe...etc
The beauty of the nautical mile is that it corresponds exactely to one minute of arc on a great circle. A minute of arc =((one great circle)/ 360x60). Since aviation and boats navigation maps have degrees and minutes of arc showing, when navigating, one minute (one graduation of a meridian on the map) is exactely one nautical mile =1852 meters.
I have jumped in Europe with my altimeter graduated in feet without any problem.
Note : a meridian is half a great circle between the N&S poles.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I don't know, all the Swedes were using altimeter that displayed meters last time I saw them. That's where I got the saying, "We jump at 4, you pull at 4". I thought that was clever.

and all the Brits were using Stones as their weight system.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

The other beauty of thinking in nautical miles is that nautical miles are much easier for mental math. Since a nautical mile is 6040, it is easy to ignore the 40 feet and then you can quickly relate 6000 feet to the 60 seconds in a minute or the 60 minutes in an hour when calculating "distance travelled" in your head.
For example an airplane travelling at 100 knots covers 100 nautical miles per hour.