Hooknswoop

How does your home DZ's aircraft maintenance compare to other DZ's?

Most aircraft cables are no stainless. You can get them but they are not standard.
But I did reciently inspect the cables and pulleys in my 56 182 during the annual inspection and they only needed a little retentioning. I can't see a skydiver pulling floor panels to check cables. Can't see them going into the wings either.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.

Most of the piston-pounding Cessnas that I jumped from had exposed aileron cables running across the cabin ceiling. I often gazed at those control cables while riding to altitude. I can also see the ends of tail control cables during a walk-around. CASA is telling us that cable end fittings are the most likely place of failure.

I have yet to jump out of A/C that is falling apart and it had exposed cables running thru where? There is a cable that runs through the ceiling? What do they do?

Majority of skydiver would not know from blah, blah cable to snowcone.

If the A/C shows up engines running, and they say, "Now call", you get on the air plane.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Hey Rob,

On the seaplanes we use stainless cables due to corrosion. The standard carbon steel cables have a tendency to rust.
The down side to using stainless is that it is actually a softer metal than carbon steel so anywhere it rubs on a fairlead or conduit it ends up blending fairly easily.

Your standard Cessna 182 has very straight cables runs with very few fairleads so to get cable wear would take a long time.
The biggest problem area I've found to be is where the cables make a sharp 90 degree turn at the top and bottoms of the fuselage frame where the aileron cables make there runs out. Primarily at the top pulleys that are more exposed to outside conditions.
deHavilland, now Viking, has a 5 year life limit on all primary control cables in the Twin Otter. It applies to everyone.

Austrailian AD #37 is to address cables manufactured with specific types of stainless steel fittings swaged to the ends. There have been a FEW failures of the cable ends where they cracked and let go of the cable swaged within. Ugly situation but very rare. I believe there have been failures of the threaded "shaft" as well that were discovered with the safety wire being the only thing holding the control cable together.

Don't you wish there was a good use for all those perfectly good cables we've retired over the years?

Jon

jonstark

Austrailian AD #37 is to address cables manufactured with specific types of stainless steel fittings swaged to the ends. There have been a FEW failures of the cable ends where they cracked and let go of the cable swaged within. Ugly situation but very rare. I believe there have been failures of the threaded "shaft" as well that were discovered with the safety wire being the only thing holding the control cable together.

Don't you wish there was a good use for all those perfectly good cables we've retired over the years?

Jon

...................................................................................

That reminds me of a service bulletin (CW03-01) issued by Capewell, requiring inspection of cracking ripcord pins. Apparently the problem started with changing to a different alloy of stainless steel.
Ripcord pins are swaged (squeezed) onto cables much the same way that end fittings are swaged onto aircraft control cables. Most ripcords are made of aircraft quality control cable.

The FAA has advised ongoing inspections of certain stainless steel control cables, but will not require 15-year replacement. AOPA file photo.
The FAA has advised ongoing inspections of certain stainless steel control cables, but will not require 15-year replacement. AOPA file photo.
Australia’s Civil Aviation Safety Authority has issued an airworthiness directive mandating a 15-year replacement cycle for control cable assemblies made from certain types of stainless steel. The assemblies are installed in a range of aircraft, both helicopters and fixed-wing.

The FAA, however, will not follow suit. An agency spokesman said the FAA studied the issue in the past, and determined that a special airworthiness information bulletin issued in 2004 will be sufficient to maintain safety. That bulletin advises of potential corrosion and cracking with a particular alloy (known as SAE-AISI 303 Se), and broadly advised inspection of control cables and fittings during 100-hour and/or annual inspections.

The FAA noted that foreign regulators have jurisdiction over their own aircraft, and made no comment on the AD issued by CASA tat requires replacement of applicable cables and fittings with 15 years of service. The CASA notice does not include an estimate of how many aircraft and operators are affected, but anticipates that the AD “may lead to a spares and/or maintenance personnel availability shortage.”

Operators in Australia were given until Jan. 1, 2018 to comply.
Replying to: Re: Stall On Jump Run Emergency Procedure? by billvon

If the plane is unrecoverable then exiting is a very very good idea.