Matti3

Suits VS a Rig (What to get first)

So I went to the pro shop at my DZ asking about equipment. I really want to get a suit first because thats what I can afford right now, but he recommends the rig...
Just for financal reasons I wont be able to get the rig/everything else till next year probably, but I want to be more comfortable in a jump suit and booties in the meantime. Does anyone see a problem with getting a jumpsuit first? :P

I'd say get the rig first. Which can be used for all discipline.

keep looking thru classified, sometimes you can find ridiculously good deal.

Buy used main/reserve for sure.

I've sold my AAD after 100 jumps and never looked back. Really up to you. I don't have kids or pets to look after so, I never felt the need for an AAD.

Skyhook is nice but not a necessity. I have normal RSL and I have 4 cutaway with it, 2 with camera helmet on, 3 of them fast spinning linetwist that I couldn't kick out on JVX and Velo. Also I have one cutaway with the Skyhook and the skyhook did not engage and it turned into normal RSL opening.

GoPro is mandatory, how else are you gonna capture all the cool shit that is gonna happen?. :P

Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I would say to get the jumpsuit first. If you can find a used RW suit with booties, get that. It won't cost that much and it feels good to have a jumpsuit that is yours. You know that it will fit and that it isn't covered in some strangers sweat. Get the suit now and save up for the rig. If you switch disciplines down the line, you can always get a new suit, but I strongly suggest to build up RW skills before moving on to anything else.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Anyways Ive really just started skydiving, i only have 30 Jumps but Like I said, I am fixing to go to Korea for a year, in the mean time I'm cool with rental gear, can save up there but I would like a suit to jump with in the meantime

U can skydive with a rig and no jumpsuit...not the other way round lol.....and nah i would get a rig first atleast u can still jump and not spend shitloads renting a rig...depending on how much a rig costs to rent that is..
FTMC

if you plan on doing RW, might as well just get a properly fitting suit with booties and grippers since you actually need those to do non-zooish RW

keep your eye on the classifieds here and on facebook to piece a rig together from used parts, no need to go nuts on something that you're going to pound into the dirt as you're learning
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

The first thing I bought off student status was a jumpsuit and a helmet. You will feel better in your own gear, and if you intend to do any tunnel time, you can fly your own suit. You can get a solid belly suit for $500 or less, which really is a drop in the bucket for gear.

If you jump at a medium to large sized DZ, it is not uncommon for newer jumpers with more funds, and hence, their own gear, to share if they are not jumping. This is very common at my DZ, especially if you are a lady. Just make sure it is solid gear, with properly size canopies.

Gear rental is a huge fund suck, but it keeps you in the air. Keep an eye out for used gear. Find something safe and used to jump. Once you get a decent chuck of jumps under your belt, you can upgrade for all of the bells and whistles. I know several jumpers that blew their wad right away on custom gear, and by the time the gear arrived, other things had drawn their attention away from jumping.

Also keep in mind that there is very little profit margin on a suit vs a rig. Of course the gear store wants to to buy gear.
"I love when humans fly,"

You can rent or borrow a rig, you need your own helmet, altimeters, and suit to jump.

Rent to stay current, work through the first downsizes moving off student canopies towards a 1:1 wing loading, and to see what you like. Wait until you understand the options offered for a rig before you buy one, and use the time you plan to be away to piece together used gear (just use a friend/family's US shipping address to use).

JohnnyMarko

Get the essentials first...goggles, helmet, altimeter

Then get a jumpsuit

Then get a container, reserve and AAD

Then demo as many canopies as possible (if you can) before buying one you like

This is the best advice. My list is slightly different .... altimeter first, helmet / goggles, audible. Jump suit.
Life is short ... jump often.

Jumpsuit and a helmet. Both used if you can swing it. Stalk the classifieds and the skydiving gear for sale fb group and see what you can scrounge up. I would do another 100 jumps before you get your gear. Find a canopy that you'll settle in to and get a rig that is sized for the gear you'll want to be on for a little while. I rented/borrowed until I got down off of my student 190's and knew I could get a container for a 150 and eventually go down to a 135 in it. Now I'm on the 135 for the long haul and know I'll get the most out of my custom gear purchase for a long time to come.

If you want the rig now, I would go used on that too. Jump the crap out of it and if you want to downsize still, then resell that and look for your custom gear you'll be in for a long time to get the most out of what you'll spend for it.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

jumpsalot-2

***Get the essentials first...goggles, helmet, altimeter

Then get a jumpsuit

Then get a container, reserve and AAD

Then demo as many canopies as possible (if you can) before buying one you like

This is the best advice. My list is slightly different .... altimeter first, helmet / goggles, audible. Jump suit.

I actually think I bought an alti first as well....I would skip the audible though (for now)...to me, it is more important less experienced jumpers get in the habit of checking a visual altimeter rather than rely on a beepy thingy in their helmet...my $2.00

Jumpsuits are over rated anyway lol i hate them and hardly ever use one....i dont need the drag, grippers are gay and it's 2million degrees where i jump u just about die before u get to height....6 people packed together in a little cessna for 20mins in summer....jumpsuit fuck that shit
FTMC

People with over 1000 jumps says the rig.

People with less than 1000 says the jump suit.

hmmmmmmmm.

If the rental is cheap than go for rentals. Typically rental for the whole day costs 50-75 bucks. If you rent it for 10 days that is 500 bucks.

For a chick, yoga pants and a long sleeve shirt works just fine. As far as grippers go, competent LO can put someone in a spot where they don't need grippers.

As far as booties goes 50% of the people don't even know how to use them properly.

It used to be 90%, but since the tunnel came around and more people are aware of what their leg is doing, finally you see more and more people being able to utilize booties.

If you are set on getting a jump suit, get a new one made for you, according to your fall rate, made by reputable jumpsuit company.

If you weigh less than 135, chances are you are gonna need zero drag. (Yoga pants/t-shirt). If you weigh around average jumper, you'll need some drag, If you weigh more than the average you need more drag.

That all depends on the body position, and how flexible you are.

To figure out all that you need to jump more.

Good luck keep renting container that doesn't really fit you. If you rent them more than 20 times(@$50), that is 1000 bucks. I hope you can do simple math.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Um, I would re-read this thread. That's not true at all.

To the OP:

Obviously you can jump without owning either a jumpsuit or a rig, because you've done it at least 30 times now.

In my opinion, if you're going to seriously learn how to belly fly, I'd first get a custom jumpsuit with booties. Assuming you learn how to use your booties, your dives will be more successful, and you'll progress faster. Plus, easier to learn how to use them now, before you develop too many habits without using them.

While you're developing your belly skills, you will also be learning canopy skills, and by the time you've saved up for a rig, hopefully you'll be at a comfortable parachute size that you can stay on for at least a few hundred jumps.

ghost47

Um, I would re-read this thread. That's not true at all.

To the OP:

Obviously you can jump without owning either a jumpsuit or a rig, because you've done it at least 30 times now.

In my opinion, if you're going to seriously learn how to belly fly, I'd first get a custom jumpsuit with booties. Assuming you learn how to use your booties, your dives will be more successful, and you'll progress faster. Plus, easier to learn how to use them now, before you develop too many habits without using them.

While you're developing your belly skills, you will also be learning canopy skills, and by the time you've saved up for a rig, hopefully you'll be at a comfortable parachute size that you can stay on for at least a few hundred jumps.

+1

Suit.