Flyhighguy

Wide Legs Fix?

I'm fairly new to skydiving. Started in November and now on 60 jumps. Just finished my brels but I now have muscle memory of wide legs.

Are there any exercises that anyone knows or something that I can do to bring my legs in? They are a little wider than shoulder width but when I try and drive forward by putting my legs out I don't get much push.

Tapping heels together is a standard way to focus attention on what one's legs are doing, out of sight.

You can also fly with legs pressed completely together for a while. At this stage (60 jumps), you don't need legs super wide any more to stay upright. Then after flying that way, relax them outward a little from that.

Legs together is also a trick for more arch if ever needed, as one can arch more at the hips with legs close than wide. If your legs are typically really wide, it is also possible you don't have any arch at all at the hips, so changing the legs might change your fall rate a little, depending on what you do.

Edit: Not being able to drive forward can also imply too much arch given to the upper legs, so just putting lower legs straight still leaves them sticking too much upward. Although that's less likely to be possible if legs really are way too wide. Am surprised this didn't get sorted out in your tunnel time ... but everyone gets some bad habits.

Try and get with a very experienced FS coach. The newest leg techniques are actually based on having a fairly wide leg stance, and angling your lower legs inwards and engaging your booties at all times. You may be trying to fix something that you will want to learn soon after.

But, overall, this is getting in the realm of small tweaks that are better to address in person, not online.
Remster

Toe taps are better because they usually also result in extended toes, which help drive you forward.

I solved my leg position problem by visiting a wind tunnel. This was the first civilian wind tunnel, circa 1980. I learned more - about leg position - during 5 minutes in that tunnel than during my previous 20 jumps.

Thanks guys! Did toe taps in the air today and also focused on pushing the balls of my toes up and my legs came in automatically. So much more drive and also felt alot more comfortable!

Funny thing is, watching my tunnel videos my legs aren't too wide. It just seemed to be when I'm in the air!

Flyhighguy

Thanks guys! Did toe taps in the air today and also focused on pushing the balls of my toes up and my legs came in automatically. So much more drive and also felt alot more comfortable!

Funny thing is, watching my tunnel videos my legs aren't too wide. It just seemed to be when I'm in the air!

I've noticed the straps from the rig seem to make me want to keep my legs farther apart. That may be why that's happening to you. Not much you can do about it, though, just gotta get used to it.

I always get a bit amped up for my first couple minutes in the tunnel, as I automatically check my emergency handles, and they're not there.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Flyhighguy

I'm fairly new to skydiving. Started in November and now on 60 jumps. Just finished my brels but I now have muscle memory of wide legs.

Are there any exercises that anyone knows or something that I can do to bring my legs in? They are a little wider than shoulder width but when I try and drive forward by putting my legs out I don't get much push.

It's pretty clear that Dee is keeping your legs apart.
Every fight is a food fight if you're a cannibal

Goodness is something to be chosen. When a man cannot choose, he ceases to be a man. - Anthony Burgess

Hey Remster, I know you've mentioned that new style before. Just like a mantis, a more "unstable" position still works fine if one learns to deal with it.

But how soon are experienced coaches recommending it? I know one can teach mantis in the tunnel to someone with zero jumps.

But at the average dz I'm not sure how the average instructor is going to fare if they're the only person telling a newbie they can not just relax their arch but dearch at the hips.

And if one is flying somewhat cupped as one's neutral point, does that not make it a little harder to slow down more? No problem if one is with one's 4 way team all dialled in, but is it maybe a little tricky if with random jumpers?

After all if the original poster were trying on some jump to speed up and can't, it might be partially because he doesn't realize his legs are too wide to add arch.

So the idea you mentioned makes sense as a more "advanced" technique (whatever that implies), but as with many new ideas, it is hard to be the only one to advocate something - especially from early on - if the rest of the system doesn't support it yet.

Flyhighguy

Not saying this is the reason for you, but: I've noticed some people fly wider in times of uncertainty or tension - it's like some hardwired instinctive reach for stability. Could just be the adrenaline of skydiving vs the security of the tunnel!

Skydiving is so very much a mental game. Getting better often means being more aware of the workings of our own minds in different situations and adjusting for it :)
(TL;DR: sometimes "relax" :$.)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?