2 2
JerryBaumchen

Ich bin ein Berliner

18 hours ago, neilmck said:

Obviously the crowd understood what he was saying and his German was correct.  However it is amusing to consider that it could be taken to be like going to Hamburg and claiming to be a Hamburger.

In the same way that someone might say "I am a New Yorker" and have people think that they were claiming to be a magazine.  I mean, I guess someone might think that, but 99.9% of people are going to understand it.

I also had a West Berlin experience back in 1988 but not as noteworthy as yours.

While stationed with the US Army in West Germany, I jumped twice into the 1936 Olympic Stadium with the British Army of the Rhine Parachute Team in celebration of the British/American/French Armed Forces Day in West Berlin. Prior to being stationed in Germany I was on the 82nd Airborne Team.

To this day, I have no idea how the Brits found me and invited me to participate. The view from above was spectacular and sad at the same time. Two years later when I was a civilian living in Germany, the Wall came down and thousands of refugees poured into West Germany. It was a great time to be alive!!

• Like 3