Yossarian

reserves

how are reserves packed to make them open so fast and reliably? are they made from a different material? (ive seen them out and they seem thinner, smoother than mains if you see what i mean). has anyone got any pics showing the stages of a reserve pack?

has anyone got any pics showing the stages of a reserve pack?

some pics here
http://www.sidsrigging.com/articles/What_do_I_get_for_$40.htm

and packing instructions for your reserve will be in its manual. eg see under "manuals" for the reserve manuals on
www.performancedesigns.com/canopyinfo.asp
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

has anyone got any pics showing the stages of a reserve pack?

some pics here
http://www.sidsrigging.com/articles/What_do_I_get_for_$40.htm

and packing instructions for your reserve will be in its manual. eg see under "manuals" for the reserve manuals on
www.performancedesigns.com/canopyinfo.asp

Damn I've got to change that page, I charge $45 now...
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

The pics will show you a lot, and it takes most riggers a good hour or more to do a reserve. You should either sit well back and watch a reserve being packed, or perhaps watch BASE jumpers packing their rigs. BASE rigs have no reserve, or as they will tell you, they're jumping their reserve every time. anyway, BASE jumpers pretty much learn to pack their canopies like a reserve and they take all the time and care in the world with it - no 10 min. "throw it together & voila" packjobs like skydivers do.

And yes, the fabric is different. It's a calendared low porosity ripstop that's generically called "F-111". There once was a real F-111 brand that has sonce gone out of business since the owner died (of natural causes). But F-111 was introduced around 1980 and was a real revolution in very strong lightweight fabric that could pack smaller than anything seen so far, even now. For most of the eighties, sport mains were also made of F-111. Then around 1990, zero prosity material came along, which is somewhat thicker and notoriously harder to pack, but has much greater longevity and permits radically better canopy performance over a longer lifespan. But reserves never (with one notable exception) went to Zero-P for a number of reasons. It isn't really necessary, as reserves are so seldom used, it packs much smaller, and according to some published articles, Zero-P has a more catastrophic failure mode than F-111. Apparently F-111 has more localized failures if it goes, but Zero-P can just blow all to hell if it goes. That's what I read at the PD website anyway & why they say they don't use it in PD reserves.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

... Zero-P has a more catastrophic failure mode than F-111. Apparently F-111 has more localized failures if it goes, but Zero-P can just blow all to hell if it goes. That's what I read at the PD website anyway & why they say they don't use it in PD reserves.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I suspect that the "blow all to hell" phenomenon is more related to wing-loading and reinforcing tapes.

For example, tandems were the first F-111 canopies routinely loaded more than one pound per square foot. I have torn more first-generation (F-111) tandem mains "from nose to tail" than I care to remember. Those tears usually started at the B or C lines and rapidly spread along the chord-wise (rib) seam.
I have only seen one (F-111) reserve torn "from nose to tail" but buddy exceeded all the placarded limits (over-weight, over-speed, head-low, unstable, etc.) when he scared his Cypres.

The solution - to minimizing "nose to tail" tears - was to add span-wise reinforcing tapes to the bottom skin.
Now SRT are standard on most canopies designed to be loaded more than one pound per square foot. A similar solution is diamond-shaped reinforcement patches found on Icarus canopies.

First of all, reserves are designed to open fast with large nose openings and special brake settings.

Secondly, reserves are packed "loose"with nothing wrapped around any other part (i.e. reserve tails are never wrapped around the rest of the canopy).

Third, the nose is left wide open, even spread.

The primary reserves pack thinner is tighter containers, which increases the rigger's workload, but do not affect opening speed.