BleuCiel

Finally! The terminal velocity of a cat!

mcordell

*** After all cats have save millions of persons from starvation by eliminating mice from the cereal warehouse.

So it is your belief that millions of people would have died because of mice eating cereal in a warehouse?

I don't know about millions of people, but grain loss to rodents in third world countries without adequate secure storage facilities, is a serious problem.

Quote: "We estimated the annual grain losses/shop due to rodent consumption, contamination, spillage, and wastage to be 740 kg. There are about 5.500 shops in the major and minor markets: the annual losses would approximate 4000mtlyear, or about 0.3% of the estimated I.225 million mt that move through the markets yearly."

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/wildlife_damage/nwrc/publications/95pubs/95-2.pdf

The cats are not harmed in these tests - they take it right in stride.

format

***Unless it is explained, how a "cat" (all cats) have the same descent rate, and how the 60 mph terminal velocity figure was determined, the article is just a bunch of speculative bullshit, pretending to be something else.

And, I even wonder if any living thing can reach terminal velocity in such a short distance. Humans can't reach terminal velocity in fewer than about 12 seconds. Can a cat?
Bunch of silliness.

Think of a feather and express the time needed for it to reach terminal velocity in milliseconds.
Than reread your post.
dpreguy

I get that an object with a lower terminal velocity will reach that terminal velocity faster than a higher one. Duh.
You are assuming you know the terminal velocity of a falling cat.
Reread your own post. And, while you are at it, reread mine and see if you can figure out why you missed the point.

I reread yours and mine... and I am assuming, again, you wrote that you wonder if any living thing can reach terminal velocity in such a short distance (time).

So, naturally, I made an extreme comparison with a feather. Harmfull intention (or so it appeared in my mind :P ).

mcordell

So it is your belief that millions of people would have died because of mice eating cereal in a warehouse?

I think billions are at stake without cats (don't ask me how)
and I like dogs.. even some fat people too
What goes around, comes later.