bbrodes

Flying with your rig as a "tote"

It's my first time "flying" with my rig tomorrow (ct to deland) and I am trying to figure out if I can bring my rig as a "tote, handbag or briefcase" and a carry on a gear bag with my wingsuit and alti's etc. has anyone had experience with this? It seems small enough to fit under the seat, I guess that's the cut off. It's a 170 main 160 reserve. Any help would be greatly appreciated! I read through the travel threads and didn't see anything about this

A lot of these smaller regional jets will allow two carry on items but the larger ones they want to check at the gate and return it to you as you exit the plane. Be prepared to give one up so they can put it in the cargo hold during the flight.

You might get to keep both with you if the flight is not very full.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

MikeJD

***Definitely put your rig in something. What if someone spills a drink?

Or decides to shift it out of the way using that convenient silver handle?

Or tells you you need to check it as bagage.
Then it will be in the hands of the people loading and unloading the plane and all the dirty conveyers of the two airports.

I have now flown twice with gear. I put one of my rigs in a typical rollie type bag, nothing else per TSA requirements, and put it in the overhead bin. I also had another small bag with my laptop, etc. As for my other rig, same thing, in it's own rollie and I checked it. The rest of my gear, clothing, etc. was in a second checked bag.

Mine fits in a carry-on sized roller.

I wouldn't carry it loose. At some point you have to stow it, either under the seat, or in the overhead. Without a cover you are just asking for the snot nose kid in the seat above you to dump his apple juice all over it.

You also have to run it through the x-ray, and they filed with all types of grease and grime, another reason for a bag or cover of some sort.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

If it fits a carrying cabin luggage, yes, but be ready to brief the luggage inspection attendants. They will scan thouroughly the rig with X-rays, they will have a sample paper rubbed on the rig for any explosive detection and will have it verified by a very very sensitive device. If you are a hunter, beware because that device can sniff an incredibly small amount of explosive or gun powder.
Beside that, you should before hand show the Transportation Security Administration text about Parachuting (see in attachment).
Be also ready to show the card provided by the AAD manufacturer showing an X-Ray picture of what they are about to see in the X-ray machine. Be ready to answer their questions about what is in your reserve. If you are not aware, get a briefing from your rigger.;)

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

I had my parachute card all ready, but the TSA guys at both airports I took it through already knew the deal with the whole thing. Both airports swabbed it for explosives, but I still made it through security faster than my buddy who was traveling with a laptop.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

SkymonkeyONE

In my case the answer is "yes". My rigs are tiny enough to fit into a briefcase-sized gun bag. I would never try to carry one in the open; it's lame.

This right here.:)
I've got a gear bag that is overhead-bin sized. I can even get a couple of jumpsuits in it.

My one tip is to wrap the chest strap through the reserve handle and stow it. Keeps the TSA and anyone else from easily pulling it.

I put my gear in a rolling bag-- suits, alti, etc, too. Don't carry it in the open for all the reasons everybody else already listed. You want to get through security unnoticed. I don't want to be bothered, so I'm not going to carry my rig through on my back like "LOOK AT ME!!!! WWWWEEEEE!!!!!" Roller bag and no issues here.... unless I am drinking in the airport bar and I'm the last one on the flight and forced to gate check it, but then I brought that on myself I guess ;)

Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

FYI. I flew both domestically (USA) and internationally with my gear. The flight began in the US and ended up in China. I was reluctant to check my bag (two free checked bags) because it had about $6000 worth of gear in it. I purchased excess value insurance from the airline. Had to explain to the gal behind the counter that there is such a thing. It allowed me to insure the gear to a max of $5000.00 which cost $50.00. Not many people know you can insure your checked bag in excess of the normal airline liability.
The maximum "normal" coverage on an international flight is $2000.00 I think.

just got back from a trip. my rig with a cypres 2 had no issue going through security, my friend's rig packed with a Vigil got stopped both ways in the x ray machines.

they explained my cypres was clearly visible but the vigil didnt show parts and what not that well. They almost didnt allow it to fly with us on the way back from Spain.
Better be on the ground wishing you were up there than being up there wishing you were on the ground.

yvanpec

they explained my cypres was clearly visible but the vigil didnt show parts and what not that well.

An unfortunate side effect of that solid Vigil case. Friends and I had a similar problem in the US once, but they let us through in the end. Can't recall if they did an extra swab test.