TomWatson

Airbag vest protects from high speed crashes

This has possibilities for skydivers...

The Inflatable Suit That’s Protecting Ski Racers in 90 MPH Crashes

"When ski racers glide away from the start house on the Birds of Prey Downhill World Cup at Beaver Creek, Colorado, they launch up to 200 feet off jumps and reach speeds close to 90 mph, all with just an open-face helmet, goggles and a semi-rigid back protector for safety.

But at this week’s World Alpine Ski Championships, held on the same course, the pro racers competing for podium spots may get a little more help: a wearable airbag from motorsports company Dainese that inflates automatically in a crash.

The system, called the D-air Ski, is based on an existing airbag system Dainese developed for motorcycle racing. Ski racing’s governing body, the International Ski Federation, approached Dainese in 2012 about adapting the suit for ski racing. The ski version covers a racer’s torso and shoulders and uses an array of sensors to monitor velocity and position; it fully inflates in 100 milliseconds if it senses a crash..."

http://www.wired.com/2015/02/dianese-d-air-ski-crash-suit/

Like an AAD for your reserve chute, this could be like an AAD for bad hook turn landings.

Those Dainese units have been used in Moto GP racing for a few years, now. Their main purpose is to protect the neck in a crash. They do that by pressing evenly against the bottom of a MC helmet, stabilizing the neck. Jump helmets don't have a prominent lower edge like that.

Sorry, but I don't see the application for skydiving, either.

mcordell

That's a damn big bike you are driving.

As a point of reference, a HD Ultra Classic weighs in at about 850 lb.'s. Throw in the usual saddle bag stuff- tools, x-tra oil, chaps, rain gear, electric vest, x-tra gloves, water, camera, and you're close.

Maybe it could help in the event of a low turn or swooping accident? Not going to keep your legs from breaking but it could help prevent injuries that would result in death (ie spine, internal injuries, etc).

The main issue would probably be cost as the device does not sound cheap. We pay $1250 for a device that detects two different things (speed and altitude) and signals a small cutter. The airbag itself would cost quite a bit not to mention the computer controlling it.

Just my 2 cents ;)

As Joe already said, this has come up before. The Dainese units I've seen, press uniformly against the lower edge of a full face helmet. Guess a G3 would be the closest thing to those, but still lacks enough purchase/leverage around the bottom, IMHO.

I'd be more afraid of the thing misfiring, than comforted by its protective value.

hmm...

could it work? Maybe.
Remember that these vests were designed for motorcycle racers where the impact is not actually that hard to the ground. It could help in a high speed crash by adding additional "padding". Could it help a jumper? I don't know. The physics in a skydiving misadventure are hard to gauge. An unrestrained fall? no way. A bad landing? maybe. Protect the legs? Nope, not in the design.

Now, maybe people could use it to say... protect the brain and/or spine and that could be a good use but remember you're pretty restrained in your gear so either it has to go outside of your gear or inflate under it. See the issues?

Its a cool concept but... I don't see how it could be adapted.

With that in mind, we can't solve problems if we don't brainstorm them so... to the OP: keep at it. One of us will possibly develop the next "thing" that keeps people jumping and alive.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

I always thought the V-Lock used in some canopies could be applied to biking gear, just much smaller scale, with lots of locks.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.