1 1
JoeWeber

The Supreme Court is our biggest problem

Recommended Posts

32 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Bullshit.

You can work hard, achieve success AND understand you may have had some help/luck/privilege along the way. It isn't a zero sum game.

And....you can work hard and still not have success. Don't pat yourself on the back too hard airdvr. Yes you worked, but you also didn't start from nothing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
1 hour ago, SkyDekker said:

Bullshit.

You can work hard, achieve success AND understand you may have had some help/luck/privilege along the way. It isn't a zero sum game.

Unfortunately the right has far too many snowflakes in its ranks these days for them to understand that. You have to deny the reality that being white generally makes life that bit easier because recognising it would hurt their precious feelings.

Edited by jakee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, airdvr said:

One possibility for sure.  If I say I'm living the dream right now I'll be tagged as having white privilege.  It diminishes the hard work I've done throughout my life.

No, it doesn't.  It just means you were playing the game on an easier setting.  People can still win the game if they work hard enough.  It's just a lot harder if your race (or gender, or sexual orientation, or religion) sets the difficulty to "hard."

I had several benefits when I was born based purely on what race I was, what gender I was, where I was born, who my parents were, what my genetics were and what sexual orientation was.  I did not squander those benefits and worked hard to get where I am now.  But it was absolutely easier for me than for someone who was born black in the US, or born in Nigeria, or born to drug addicted parents, or born with a cleft palate.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, billvon said:

No, it doesn't.  It just means you were playing the game on an easier setting.  People can still win the game if they work hard enough.  It's just a lot harder if your race (or gender, or sexual orientation, or religion) sets the difficulty to "hard."

I had several benefits when I was born based purely on what race I was, what gender I was, where I was born, who my parents were, what my genetics were and what sexual orientation was.  I did not squander those benefits and worked hard to get where I am now.  But it was absolutely easier for me than for someone who was born black in the US, or born in Nigeria, or born to drug addicted parents, or born with a cleft palate.

I get it however, painting with such a broad brush does more harm than good.  You don't have to look far to find successful non-white people.  How did they do it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, airdvr said:

I get it however, painting with such a broad brush does more harm than good.  You don't have to look far to find successful non-white people.  How did they do it?

They might have had other luck, and some of them might have worked harder. It’s not impossible for people of color also to have the right gender, above-average intelligence, and connections, etc. 

They might have had to work harder, and they might not. It’s just that on average, people in power select others like them, and people in power tend white and male.

Wendy P. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I get it however, painting with such a broad brush does more harm than good.  You don't have to look far to find successful non-white people.  How did they do it?

There are tails on all bell curves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

, and people in power tend white and male.

Wendy P. 

and in America they get richer and richer as the decades go by.

spacer.png

While minorities make no progress.

spacer.png

and America remains the most unequal country among the G-7

spacer.png

America, wins the hunger games.  You can thank Rupert Murdoch for that. With runner up awards to FOX.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, airdvr said:

I get it however, painting with such a broad brush does more harm than good.  You don't have to look far to find successful non-white people.  How did they do it?

Why does it do harm?  It is reality, and it is never a mistake to understand more about reality.

Yes, you can find plenty of successful non-white people, just like you can find plenty of successful gay people, successful women, successful people with no legs and successful Muslims.  They were all playing the game on a harder setting than you were.  Again, that does not mean that you don't play the game well, or didn't try really hard, or work really hard.  Indeed, you may have worked far harder than many other people, and that's great.  But your work went farther than the same work from that black man did, because he was starting at a harder setting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, airdvr said:

I get it however, painting with such a broad brush does more harm than good.  You don't have to look far to find successful non-white people.  How did they do it?

He literally addressed that point in the post you’re replying to.
 

I’m honestly curious what it is you think he said?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, airdvr said:

 You don't have to look far to find successful non-white people.  How did they do it?

You don't have to look far to find successful people who never graduated from high school.  Not as likely successful as those that did, but they are there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Bye Bye Roe v Wade

Republicans got the gold mine. Democrats got the shaft.

We aren't telling women that they must wear full body bags and be with their male guardian when outside or that they can not go to school or work in nearly every possible job. Not yet, anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

We aren't telling women that they must wear full body bags and be with their male guardian when outside or that they can not go to school or work in nearly every possible job. Not yet, anyway.

One of the justices wrote in their opinion that marriage equality and right to contraception is next. No real stretch to see Loving v. Virginia being re-discussed in the near future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

One of the justices wrote in their opinion that marriage equality and right to contraception is next. No real stretch to see Loving v. Virginia being re-discussed in the near future.

Yes.Thomas. So much for the Enlightenment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
(edited)
33 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

One of the justices wrote in their opinion that marriage equality and right to contraception is next. No real stretch to see Loving v. Virginia being re-discussed in the near future.

No chance. The guy who wrote that, Clarence Thomas, is in an interracial marriage himself.

 

Edited by yoink

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

More than one SCOTUS Justice lied under oath to get confirmed. I believe perjury is illegal in the US as well. There simply aren't consequences for that level of society.

trump lied his way through four years in office w/o consequence. As of now six will decide what 330 million will and won't do.

Its time to face it. The christian right's deal with the Lucifer has paid off. They will be celebrating white and christ. McConnell and his clan will be toasting with the finest Bourbon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

And it is all Biden's doing. 

Not sure if that is sarcsm.

RBG's arrogance in hanging on when she should have retired led directly to this.  My wife WAS a huge RBG fan, but now she has nothing good to say for her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yoink said:

No chance. The guy who wrote that, Clarence Thomas, is in an interracial marriage himself.

 

Maybe. On the other hand he might be thinking: "Ginni, baby, I love you but the law is the law."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

1 1