1 1
JoeWeber

The Supreme Court is our biggest problem

2 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Agree. The problem with "illegal immigration", properly called undocumented immigrants. Is a refusal of congress to have a meeting of minds to deal with it...

The problem with "illegal immigrants" (they are here illegally), is largely imaginary.

Remember the 'refugee convoys' that were coming?

How many actually showed up? 

The claims of 'open borders' is utter bullshit.

The idea that illegals can come into the US and get instant 'government assistance' (especially 'while veterans are homeless and starving') is just as bad.

But the xenophobes, even the ones on here, don't care about truth. Or reality. They just want someone to blame.

• Like 3

I'm a little concerned about the just-released opinion on using public funds at religion-sponsored schools.  The people who brought the case chose the right example -- Maine has failed to provide public options for all students, and so in some places the parents have only two private options: the secular school which can be funded by vouchers, or the sectarian school that can't.  I think the real complaint should have been against the state of Maine for not providing sufficient public options for more students.

Unfortunately, at least according to the coverage playing at my office on FOX (CNN is across the room), it's being hyped as saying (all) parochial schools should be eligible for vouchers the same as secular private schools.  If this is in fact the decision by the SC, we're in trouble.  However, if the majority decision was written in a way to highlight that in THIS case (due to lack of available options for publicly funded education), the religious schools should be eligible for vouchers, but that in general, religious institutions are still not eligible for public funding, then I imagine the FOX analyst is being deliberately selective in her summary.  And I actually would be okay with that decision if it is followed up with a timeline or other requirement for Maine to get their affairs in order and establish a few more schools in more rural areas.  Otherwise, I would recommend Jewish and Muslim organizations quickly establish similar education institutions and petition for vouchers to support "school choice" and see what happens.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, TriGirl said:

Otherwise, I would recommend Jewish and Muslim organizations quickly establish similar education institutions and petition for vouchers to support "school choice" and see what happens.

Ooh! I like that idea!

29 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

Why can't Wiccans, Rastafarians and Satanists have control of their children's publicly funded education as well?

If any of those organizations want to establish a private secondary school and get it accredited, I absolutely advocate for them doing the exact same thing.  The quickest and surest way to get these fundies to lose their minds though is by setting up the counter example with a religion they actually take seriously.  It's also the only way it gets due consideration by the courts, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, airdvr said:

I grew up with the american dream being trotted out with every opportunity and in many ways it still applies.  It's just that so many people have been shut out for whatever reason it seems they've given up hope.  Explains the long lines buying lottery tickets I guess.

Because the "American Dream" is identical to all other "opium of the people". It is a way to control the masses. A way to keep them distracted from the use and abuse they are going through for the benefit of a limited few. If you work hard enough, if you suffer through years of being underpaid and overworked, one day the mythical American Dream will reveal itself to you.

1 hour ago, TriGirl said:

I'm a little concerned about the just-released opinion on using public funds at religion-sponsored schools.  ....

Unfortunately, at least according to the coverage playing at my office on FOX (CNN is across the room), it's being hyped as saying (all) parochial schools should be eligible for vouchers the same as secular private schools.  ...

If religious schools must be publicly funded, I wonder if that means they will also be bound by the state curriculum and employment rules?  Will they be required to teach about evolution, and not (or not just) the Book of Genesis?  If they accept public funds, can they still teach hatred towards LGBTQ people, or refuse to hire teachers based on their sexual orientation?

I foresee further cases making it to the SC.  I also expect (given the leaning of this court) that any effort to require schools to teach actual science, or to avoid teaching hate, will be struck down as infringing on "religious liberty".  In the eyes of this court "religious liberty" means evangelical Christians are protected from having their feelings hurt, which means everyone else will have to abide by evangelical Christian rules regardless of their own beliefs.

15 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

If religious schools must be publicly funded, I wonder if that means they will also be bound by the state curriculum and employment rules?  Will they be required to teach about evolution, and not (or not just) the Book of Genesis?  If they accept public funds, can they still teach hatred towards LGBTQ people, or refuse to hire teachers based on their sexual orientation?

They currently are not bound by the state employment rules, and curriculum only to the point of a minimum for accreditation (a pretty low bar).  I agree that if someone tried to sue for the other issues you mention, they will scream "religious freedom" and get away with it.

1 hour ago, kallend said:

Supreme Court's conservatives say innocence is not enough to avoid being executed by the state.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/01/arizona-death-row-supreme-court-shinn-innocence/

Hi John,

And, some people wonder why I am opposed to the death penalty.

Jerry Baumchen

3 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi John,

And, some people wonder why I am opposed to the death penalty.

Jerry Baumchen

And many people wonder why a country that claims to be "civilized", still has the death penalty.

45 minutes ago, ryoder said:

And many people wonder why a country that claims to be "civilized", still has the death penalty.

Support for the death penalty in Canada is consistently over 50% of those polled. It is the same in nearly every nation that no longer imposes it.. Abolishing it is basically an elitist position. I do not support it even though there are people who I know deserve it. I am one of the elite I suppose.

On 6/20/2022 at 1:36 PM, Phil1111 said:

It used to be all Pakistani workers. But i think they all moved onto driving semi-trucks now. Because they make the big bucks.

Not so much Pakistani berry-pickers as it was Punjabi-born grand-fathers and grand-mothers picking berries in the fields surrounding Pitt Meadows Airport. Those Sikhs were raised on farms in the Third World, making them much physically and psychologically tougher than Canadian-born teenagers. It also helps that many British Columbia farms are owned by Sikhs who immigrated from the Punjab.

But silly me, there I go religiously stigmatizing people based upon their religion instead of their country of birth. Much of the Punjab region was incorporated into Pakistan after it separated from India in 1949. Pakistani Muslims promptly encouraged millions of Hindus, Sikhs, etc. to move out of Pakistan.

Given the Pakistani gov'ts' subsequent reputation for honesty, rule-of-law, fair elections, transparency tolerance of Taliban, etc., it is a wonder why anyone would want to remain in Pakistan. (sarcasm alert)

7 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Because the "American Dream" is identical to all other "opium of the people". It is a way to control the masses. A way to keep them distracted from the use and abuse they are going through for the benefit of a limited few. If you work hard enough, if you suffer through years of being underpaid and overworked, one day the mythical American Dream will reveal itself to you.

Worked for me.:D

(edited)
9 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

The problem with "illegal immigrants" (they are here illegally), is largely imaginary.

Remember the 'refugee convoys' that were coming?

How many actually showed up? 

https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/national-media-release/cbp-releases-may-2022-monthly-operational-update?language_content_entity=en

More than a million so far this year.  AKA a fraction of the number Russia used to invade Ukraine.

Edited by brenthutch

3 hours ago, riggerrob said:

sorry brenthutch,

I am not quite understanding your last post.

Are you implying that more than a million refugees have fled Ukraine?

How many Ukrainian refugees applied to come to the USA?

He's saying Russia invaded Ukraine with less than a million troops, implying that immigration at the southern border is the same kind of invasion. Just without the guns. Or the tanks, APCs, artillery, rockets, thermobaric weapons, bombers, fighter jets, helicopters or warships.... but otherwise just the same.

6 hours ago, jakee said:

He's saying Russia invaded Ukraine with less than a million troops, implying that immigration at the southern border is the same kind of invasion. Just without the guns. Or the tanks, APCs, artillery, rockets, thermobaric weapons, bombers, fighter jets, helicopters or warships.... but otherwise just the same.

Wait a minute...

George Soros is behind the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Wow.

(edited)

Coming soon to a street near you. More concealed carry handguns. I'd suggest extra caution when driving because Dallas style road rage shootouts are more likely. Remember an armed man is a polite man.

Crime should start to fall because more guns on the street. Allows bad guys with guns to get shot quicker.

More religion, more guns and more "economic freedumb" to come.

Edited by Phil1111

On 6/21/2022 at 12:31 PM, SkyDekker said:

One possibility for sure.  If I say I'm living the dream right now I'll be tagged as having white privilege.  It diminishes the hard work I've done throughout my life.  Something some generations don't seem to understand.  No one is going to hand you anything.

Too many birds...not enough worms.

18 minutes ago, airdvr said:

If I say I'm living the dream right now I'll be tagged as having white privilege.  It diminishes the hard work I've done throughout my life. 

Bullshit.

You can work hard, achieve success AND understand you may have had some help/luck/privilege along the way. It isn't a zero sum game.

• Like 3