1 1
JoeWeber

The Supreme Court is our biggest problem

So a primary system that leads to extremism. An electoral system that lets a minority of extremists determine policy and statutes for the majority.

Then a system that lets those extremist minority politicians appoint judges. That determine the law of the land. In accordance with their political interpretations of constitution and statute.

These extremists will use any mechanisms and actions. To manipulate these systems for their own advantage without morality or restrictions.

America is in for a difficult battle.

44 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

So a primary system that leads to extremism. An electoral system that lets a minority of extremists determine policy and statutes for the majority.

Then a system that lets those extremist minority politicians appoint judges. That determine the law of the land. In accordance with their political interpretations of constitution and statute.

Well when you put it like THAT....

:(

On 6/18/2022 at 8:06 AM, brenthutch said:

It’s not all gloom and doom guys, you have to look at the good stuff too.  The SC is getting ready to make it easier for citizens to protect themselves and it looks like they will brush back an overreaching EPA with a new ruling on CO2.

"Within days, the conservative majority on the Supreme Court is expected to hand down a decision that could severely limit the federal government’s authority to reduce carbon dioxide from power plants — pollution that is dangerously heating the planet.

But it’s only a start.

The case, West Virginia v. Environmental Protection Agency, is the product of a coordinated, multiyear strategy by Republican attorneys general, conservative legal activists and their funders, several with ties to the oil and coal industries, to use the judicial system to rewrite environmental law, weakening the executive branch’s ability to tackle global warming.

Coming up through the federal courts are more climate cases, some featuring novel legal arguments, each carefully selected for its potential to block the government’s ability to regulate industries and businesses that produce greenhouse gases."

Hold the press. perhaps Joe is right and the SC could be the biggest problem.

4 hours ago, GeorgiaDon said:

I'd throw the primary system into the mix.  That ensures the extremists (in both parties) control who gets to run for election.  Combined with gerrymandering, the primary system ensures that its mostly the loonies that get to run the show.

At least in Britain they are honest enough to admit it.

https://www.omrlp.com/

14 hours ago, jakee said:

They also stem from the two Senators per state thing, which is even more anti-representative.

I think this one gets overlooked far too often. Most people just go to the EC because it's the well known one, but the Senate representation is just another massive second bite out of the pie for Republicans, simply because rural areas tend to trend conservative.

This also is another reason it annoys me so much when Republicans win and immediately act like they have a mandate to do anything they like. Even with the massively disproportionate advantages of rampant gerrymandering, the EC, and the Senate allocations, they still barely win. If the scales were actually balanced they wouldn't win at all.

On 6/18/2022 at 10:49 PM, Phil1111 said:

Inflation is higher in the US because everyone who wants a job is working and there are 11 million plus unfilled jobs

More than anything this is the biggest problem right now.  We need more brown folks from the south to do the menial jobs no one here wants.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, airdvr said:

More than anything this is the biggest problem right now.  We need more brown folks from the south to do the menial jobs no one here wants.

The nation, like Canada, was built on the backs of hard working immigrants. And of course slaves for a couple hundred years. 

I suspect that large numbers of Baby Boomers (born between 1946 and 1964 ergo 58 to 76 years old today) retired during COVID-19, reducing the numbers of workers. This labor-shortage is only going to get worse until it bottoms out circa 2050 when the last Baby Boomers die off. This labor-shortage will force first-world nations to import more and more workers.

Labor-shortages have forced British Columbia to import berry-pickers from Mexico for the last decade or so.

2 hours ago, riggerrob said:

I suspect that large numbers of Baby Boomers (born between 1946 and 1964 ergo 58 to 76 years old today) retired during COVID-19, reducing the numbers of workers. This labor-shortage is only going to get worse until it bottoms out circa 2050 when the last Baby Boomers die off. This labor-shortage will force first-world nations to import more and more workers.

Labor-shortages have forced British Columbia to import berry-pickers from Mexico for the last decade or so.

It used to be all Pakistani workers. But i think they all moved onto driving semi-trucks now. Because they make the big bucks.

2 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Hi Rob,

That, and the laws about children under 18 in the workforce, as to what they can & cannot do.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I think I was about 10 yrs old the first time I went into a berry field.  Not anymore.

20 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Rob,

That, and the laws about children under 18 in the workforce, as to what they can & cannot do.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  I think I was about 10 yrs old the first time I went into a berry field.  Not anymore. It was then and there I decided to become an engineer.

FIFY

• Like 1

5 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Possibly but I think a great number of people have given up looking for jobs.  I'm noticing many more well spoken people doing service jobs in restaurants and gas stations.

I grew up with the american dream being trotted out with every opportunity and in many ways it still applies.  It's just that so many people have been shut out for whatever reason it seems they've given up hope.  Explains the long lines buying lottery tickets I guess.

32 minutes ago, airdvr said:

Possibly but I think a great number of people have given up looking for jobs.  I'm noticing many more well spoken people doing service jobs in restaurants and gas stations.

I grew up with the american dream being trotted out with every opportunity and in many ways it still applies.  It's just that so many people have been shut out for whatever reason it seems they've given up hope.  Explains the long lines buying lottery tickets I guess.

From what I’ve read, the Baby Boomers are the last generation in the US with a pretty good chance of having it better than our parents across the board. We had more heavily subsidized universities (therefore cheaper relative cost for college); housing was way more affordable on average, and when we were young workers, the pay scales weren’t quite as skewed towards the CEOs and C-suite types, so frankly there was more left for more general workers.

There are still opportunities, but now they’re not waiting, they have to be sought with more diligence and luck. 

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, airdvr said:

Agreed.  I have long been a proponent for a work-visa program that works like this:

You show up at the border.  They do a biometric check.  If you are not a criminal, you are given a work visa and allowed in.  No other requirements.

You get paid minimum wage (or above) - but you also get taxes withheld at whatever the maximum rate is.  You can get a partial refund for those taxes if you file for those taxes, and physically pick up the check at the US embassy of whatever country you came from.

Any crimes while in the US and you're banned in the future.  If you cross illegally you are also banned in the future.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

There are still opportunities, but now they’re not waiting, they have to be sought with more diligence and luck. 

Yes - and you need more training to get those opportunities, AND the cost of that training is getting higher and higher.

When I went to MIT it had the highest tuition in the country.  Adjusting for inflation, today it would be average.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

It used to be all Pakistani workers. But i think they all moved onto driving semi-trucks now. Because they make the big bucks.

That’s how they will educate their children so that they succeed here. Like immigrants have always done.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billvon said:

Agreed.  I have long been a proponent for a work-visa program that works like this:

You show up at the border.  They do a biometric check.  If you are not a criminal, you are given a work visa and allowed in.  No other requirements.

You get paid minimum wage (or above) - but you also get taxes withheld at whatever the maximum rate is.  You can get a partial refund for those taxes if you file for those taxes, and physically pick up the check at the US embassy of whatever country you came from.

Any crimes while in the US and you're banned in the future.  If you cross illegally you are also banned in the future.

Hi Bill,

Re:  No other requirements.

With this exception, I absolutely agree with you.  I am all for legal migration to this country; and damned opposed to illegal migration.

Jerry Baumchen

5 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Re:  No other requirements.

With this exception, I absolutely agree with you.  I am all for legal migration to this country; and damned opposed to illegal migration.

Jerry Baumchen

Agreed, illegal migration is how we got Trump. (And how we might get him again)

4 hours ago, kallend said:

Truly ignorant voters are our biggest problem.

I could make an argument that ignorant voters have always been with us, but what is different today is Rupert Murdoch's proganda machine and its Trumpist toadies spreading lies. January 6 could not have happened without the mass brainwashing. Fox "News" is just as culpable as Trump's Whitehouse crime mob.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ryoder said:

I could make an argument that ignorant voters have always been with us, but what is different today is Rupert Murdoch's proganda machine and its Trumpist toadies spreading lies. January 6 could not have happened without the mass brainwashing. Fox "News" is just as culpable as Trump's Whitehouse crime mob.

Agree. The problem with "illegal immigration", properly called undocumented immigrants. Is a refusal of congress to have a meeting of minds to deal with it. As Bill suggested report at the border and after security checks get in line with temporary work visas. Hire immigration officials and judges to deal with the issue in a timely fashion.

As drought, global warming, recession ads fuel to the fire of gang violence and drug cartels. S. Americans will come in bigger numbers and that feeds the Murdoch's/GOP narrative. But since 1994 the number of Americans who are anti-immigrant has declined by about 1/2. It's FOX and the GOP that want to paint the issue as a big one. This is the latest PEW polling to 2021.

spacer.png