AndreLapointe

SIU Skydivers

AndreLapointe

Did anyone notice the late US Olympic wrestler David Schultz,
played by actor Mark Ruffalo, wearing SIU Skydivers shirt in the movie Foxcatcher ?

a cool one like mine! ;)

My roomie & I had those made up in 1980....THAT'S weird!

His Bio (Schultz) says he was a skydiver....Hummm

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Hi Jim,

And just to refresh your memory:

I remember being a 'Skydiving Saluki' and having you come and address one of our club meetings prior to the 1980 collegiate nationals...which was held in Marana.

Later that year I ran into Tom Schapanski at an old timers accuri meet in Annawan, Il.

I gave him one of our SIU SKYDIVING TEAM tee-shirts which he didn't take off for the whole 3 day get together!

http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/Skydiving_History_%26_Trivia_F21/1973_Collegiate_Nationals_P2418838/

Jerry Baumchen

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jim,

And just to refresh your memory:

I remember being a 'Skydiving Saluki' and having you come and address one of our club meetings prior to the 1980 collegiate nationals...which was held in Marana.

Later that year I ran into Tom Schapanski at an old timers accuri meet in Annawan, Il.

I gave him one of our SIU SKYDIVING TEAM tee-shirts which he didn't take off for the whole 3 day get together!

http://www.dropzone.com/forum/Skydiving_C1/Skydiving_History_%26_Trivia_F21/1973_Collegiate_Nationals_P2418838/

Jerry Baumchen

Yup...that was in reply to Bill Wenger - Man do YOU ever have a memory!

I contacted my ole college roomie today regarding the tee shirt in the movie.

Too freakin' weird!

We had those made up in late '79 after we'd gotten the club back up and running...sold to club members originally then to anyone who went to school at SIU & made a jump.

Did so at a small profit to help fund the nationals...The freefall figure on the shirt was taken from a pic of my room mate & I did the design.

Best of our recollection there were 100 shirts made in total...a single run that took a few years to liquidate.

That shirt in the movie certainly isn't 35 years old...go figure! :D

HEY I GOT AN ANSWER! ~

~ I sent out a few emails shotgun style to addresses I could nail down relating to the movie.

Got a reply from a production assistant! 'Likely scenario / best recollection' type thing -

"Period props and costuming" are pulled from one of many such inventories made available to the set director.

It was probably donated to, then purchased from a 2nd hand clothing thrift shop type of store.

~ *Here's the cool part...
Since he WAS a Skydiver they wanted to portray that part of his personality.

THAT SHIRT was chosen over some others because of the large bold lettering and the contrasting colors... fine line art & lettering don't come across as well on screen. (take note tee shirt designers)

~ ~ So I'm guessing it was the new tee shirt I gave Dr. Haberstroh back about 1986!

Dr.Jack was one of my Advertising professors, wrote the book "Ice Cube Sex" which is about subliminal advertising.

He'd moved to L.A from SIU about the same time I moved to San Diego...we stayed in touch during the years after graduation and I was invited to his home for dinner a few times

We became friends at school when he realized I was a Skydiver...seems he'd opened the first hang glider school on the west coast as a younger man.

He'd brought his wife out to the DZ near school a few times to hang out and watch. Got him an observer ride once, which greatly helped my GPA. :)

He passed away a few years back, probably never wore the shirt & it was likely donated to someplace by his widow.

My shirt is famous ~ ~ COOL BEANS! B|

Checking out Foxcatcher and found this thread. Was jumping at Minier with the Illinois State University skydiving club and went to Collegiate Nationals 81-83, way too much fun for a college student. I had completely forgotten the above "poem" but had to comment. At ISU, it was made more
succinct; probably because of a shorter attention span.

We're the boys from Illinois
We love to fuck and fly
We beat our cocks on jagged rocks
And screw Wisconsin bitches.

(First piggyback rig: Piglet container, Starlite round with a spider slider and a navy con reserve with some blood on it - my mentor/rigger/friend? told me he was able to buy it cheaper that way).