skydude2000

Scariest jump?

I've had many jumps that got scary as they went along and they only seem scary afterwards, but the scariest of my jumps to make was the first antennae jump with Phil Smith and Phil Mayfield (a philler load). I know it's BASE, but in 1980 pre BASE days it was a skydive with a pucker factor.

fastphil

I've had many jumps that got scary as they went along and they only seem scary afterwards, but the scariest of my jumps to make was the first antennae jump with Phil Smith and Phil Mayfield (a philler load). I know it's BASE, but in 1980 pre BASE days it was a skydive with a pucker factor.

it's funny you have the same picture on post 21 of this thread:-)
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Somewhere between my 15th-20th wingsuit jump I was in a four way with a few good friends that I trusted to fly with (none of us had any real wingsuit experience) . Around 5k (this was also our agreed upon break off altitude) I rolled to my back, and flew under a friend. We made eye contact, and I rolled back over. That’s when I was hit in the back of the head hard enough to knock off my rear facing gopro and audible that was mounted on the outside of my helmet. Around 3.5k I came to under a good main canopy with no memory of deployment and very distorted vision that lasted about 10 very scary seconds. We all made it back to the dz for uneventful landings.

well, in my "vast experience" consisting of almost two hundred jumps before i turned 18, i'd say the scariest jumps are under paracommanders. my dzo is an old guy, so naturally, he's got a lot of old pc's and he wants to scare me. so ive been digging them out and i have ressurected 6 paracommanders and a sierra that haven't seen the air in 35 years. every one of those has me shaking before i leave the plane. i dont know if it will burst, or if i will have to pull those pesky capewells..

and god knows i do not want to come down under the 1960s belly warts.

so far i've had one partial malfunction. there were a couple of burn holes in one of the canopies. i didnt have to chop it. one had the pilot chute wrapped around one of the lines that put me into an eternal spin. it was correctable, but man did that land hard!!

Chasing a static line student holding onto his sleeved main.
Chasing one of my friends with a blown Lopo, spinning faster than I could under my square.
U only make 2 jumps: the first one for some weird reason and the last one that you lived through. The rest are just filler.
scr 316

Last solo consol jump (18th jump) before qualifying for my A, had a bad wind shear at 5000. CCI talked me through it and said if I was at all concerned about it, to pull a little high (I was routinely pulling at 4,500 at the time). Had been a real battle to get through my AFF and consol jumps so just wanted it all over and done with so decided to jump.

Pulled at 5,500 - BIG mistake! Would have been better off pulling at my normal height. Canopy had fully inflated and I was just doing my checks, when suddenly I got whipped backwards as I hit the shear. Bearing in mind we had been put out what looked like miles in the wrong direction from the DZ, I was completely disorientated and it took me a few seconds to work out what was happening. I got down safely and landed in the landing area but refused to jump again that day. I didn't jump again for 6 weeks after that little incident, then ended up having a mal on my first qualified jump which ended with my first reserve ride. :S

A mind once stretched by a new idea never regains its original dimensions - Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr

Last weekend. -13F at altitude. No gloves (dumb I know, I forgot them).

Couldn't feel my hands at pull time. Hands not working correctly. It all worked out - mostly by luck and probably a little experience.

Its scary when you loose the sense of touch with your primary pulling mechanisms. For some reason this was scarier to me than chasing an AFF student down in the basement.

Be safe(ish) all.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

No shit, there I wuz, thought I was gonna die. Around my 50th jump or so at 100ft on final, looked down and saw a piece of paper doing circles across the grass, followed by a canopy collapse. Started furiously pumping the brakes and the canopy re-inflated at about 50ft. Landed sideways hard and fast with a textbook PLF that allowed me to walk away from it. Everyone who saw it thought I was a goner.

Was jumping an MC1 and had another guy cut across me 100 odd feet off the ground. Stole all my air. All I could see was the planet coming at me at a rapid speed. Text book PLF, but landed on a uneven mound which resulted in some titanium additions to my ankle. My next jump under a round a few months later I nearly ended up landing on the hard runway (was sweating bullets at the thought), but managed to make it to soft grassy field and had a very soft touch down instead :)

the first time i jumped a certain antenna in the lovely state of nevada was by FAR the scariest for base. we only climbed halfway to about the 700' marker, and decided to go because we were packed slider down, i had all of about 10 base jumps at the time. my friend went first and left me on it, and no matter how many times i tried to count down from 3, i would stop myself just before launching and breathe, and do it again. it took me about a full 3 minutes before i finally exited.

sky- definitely my only night jumps ive ever done. north shore, oahu, at pacific skydiving center. not only could i not see the LZ under canopy until around 2k feet, but on the right hand side was an abyss of death black, even darker than the rest of the island, which was ocean. and god forbid you land out there at night.........
gravity brings me down.........