camaroluvr447

Is this jumpsuit too tight? (pics)

so i just got this used suit. i like it well enough but it may be a bit tight. Waist is fine but across the chest is a bit snug, and it hugs my back as well. I can arch and all that, but its skin tight. on a cold day you could probably see my nips haha. any opinions? (on the suit not on my nips) ;)

thanks!
stay safeish.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UHol6kYnyaWTdDdEhnYnBwb2c/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UHol6kYnyaLUZ2YVBkSndxVzQ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UHol6kYnyaTi1feWpBZjZGLW8/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3UHol6kYnyaSVc0S3ludnVydlE/view?usp=sharing
Some rules can be bent. Some can be broken. But you cant break all the rules all the time.

It all depends on your height-weight ratio. I have a tight Tony Suit pit special because I'm 5'-6" and 160 lbs. It helps me stay down with the big boys. But I also have loose arm sleeves that I can add on if I'm jumping with light weights. ;)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hey DHemer I see you hail from SA, I made my very first jump there in 2012 up the coast from Capetown! I was so hooked after that haha. What's the skydiving scene like in SA? I can fit a single layer of thin thermals over a tee shirt or something. Not very much at all. Some chilly skydives may happen in this thing.
Some rules can be bent. Some can be broken. But you cant break all the rules all the time.

DHemer

Can you fit a weight belt under the jumpsuit or some thermal layers?

One safety point it might be worth repeating here... wearing weight belts underneath jump suits might be a bad idea if jumping near water. I have no idea whether this would be an issue for the OP, but DHemer's avatar has a very nice coastal scene, which reminded me of this.

I'm NOT totally useless... I can be used as a bad example

As long as it's not exploding when you go to sit or something, should be fine. Grab a digital altimeter or hit the wind tunnel and see how fast you fall. If you also had a baggy one, you could use them selectively to increase your range.

I spend a few minutes in the tunnel every so often going up and down like a yo-yo and trying to hang out at the top of the tunnel where the air's starting to die down. That's really improved my ability to match speeds with a formation.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Objectively, the suit is not too tight. For someone with 90 jumps, however, you may find yourself stuff with "only one speed" -- i.e. not able to slow down enough when you need to do so. If you're set on getting into RW competition, like 4way, this may not be a problem -- others can put on weights and you want to be on the fast end anyway. But if you are trying to jump with a wide range of folks doing different types of jumps, you may have difficulty keeping up with anyone who doesn't fall fast.

Thanks guys this is all good insight! I have some tunnel time coming up in a couple weeks and will see how that goes with the suit. Looks like fall rate will be the biggest issue. just have to see how it goes now.

My first couple of jumpsuits were similarly tight. I was ok with that, mainly because I dreaded the prospect of having to wear lead - but it was a real drag (no pun intended) having to jump in cold weather with no room at all in the suit for an extra layer of clothing.

These days I've embraced the whole weight belt thing, and I'm a lot happier. I can have a little more room in the suit, and still keep up with my team mates without breaking my back.

Be aware that the tunnel isn't really the best measure of how your suit will perform in freefall, though - to be comfortable, most people have to wear significantly more lead than in the tunnel than they do when they skydive.

In the first pic, its so tight that its drawing pull wrinkles to your lats.

In the last pic, the suit seems very tight across your back.

Perhaps you have a local rigger who could open the seams on the sides and add a couple of inches of spandex or nylon material down to your waist to loosen it up a bit. Booties? Can your rigger build and integrate those into the suit also?

Course, you don't want to add anything to take away from the whole "cute butt" thing you got going on.

Boy, you look mighty cute in them there jeans T voice> :D

Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

BIGUN

In the first pic, its so tight that its drawing pull wrinkles to your lats.

In the last pic, the suit seems very tight across your back.

Perhaps you have a local rigger who could open the seams on the sides and add a couple of inches of spandex or nylon material down to your waist to loosen it up a bit. Booties? Can your rigger build and integrate those into the suit also?

Course, you don't want to add anything to take away from the whole "cute butt" thing you got going on.

Boy, you look mighty cute in them there jeans T voice> :D

Haha no i wouldn't want to take away from that haha. I already have a bootie suit, this one is my "booty" suit haha. I will have my rigger take a look and see what he can do, that's a good idea.

Completely agree with wearing weights outside the jumpsuit when near water. I jump over farmland typically and prefer them inside

[Off Topic]

Scene in SA is small and only about half the DZ are really active. I tend to do a lot of travelling to boogies as my DZ only has a small Cessna and I like me some altitude. If you find yourself in SA again most dropzones will accommodate you if you have an FAI recognised licence

Trafficdiver

Why don't you bring it into the tunnel and have them slow the air speed down. Ask the instructors to guide you on getting the most out of your body to slow down. Try to grab every sq inch of air,.

I'd they say it's too tigt, get rid of it.

great idea. i will be in the tunnel in this month so I will definitely do that! I guess my biggest concern is I am just about to get a coach rating and i may need something that offers more flexibility in fall rate to match a student.