4 4
brenthutch

May’s Global Temperature coldest in 9 years

9 hours ago, mistercwood said:

Literally no one claims otherwise

Their entire shtick is based on making up arguments of the "other side". They've been arguing with an Al Gore in their head for decades.

When you try to debate them they'll say so much made up crap that's so nonsensical it's clear that they're not arguing with you at all - just the extremist liberal ghosts in their head. It's sad, really.

4 hours ago, billvon said:

So let's do that.  We don't even have to go back 100 years, let's just go back 60.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/opinion/commentary/fl-op-edit-daytona-beach-volusia-county-shrinking-rising-seas-20191213-ixmk3rypcnhsxlgxbupw73zora-story.html

Looks like you are, once again, a victim of right wing misinformation.

daytona.jpg

This kind of misinformation is used by both sides. These photos almost never have a reliable timestamp to indicate the position of the tides. Sure, sea levels have been rising as an overall average, around 6 inches over the last 100 years, although these photos appear to show a greater difference over 60 years, hence my scepticism.

4 hours ago, metalslug said:

This kind of misinformation is used by both sides. These photos almost never have a reliable timestamp to indicate the position of the tides. 

Exactly.  Which is why pictures, rather than measurements, are a poor way to judge such changes.

On 9/21/2022 at 2:34 AM, olofscience said:

Their entire shtick is based on making up arguments of the "other side". They've been arguing with an Al Gore in their head for decades.

When you try to debate them they'll say so much made up crap that's so nonsensical it's clear that they're not arguing with you at all - just the extremist liberal ghosts in their head. It's sad, really.

Thats why its so hard to ban a troll. Their entire cognitive being is filled with conspiracy nonsense.Like alcoholics or heroin addicts suggestions and persuasions have zero effect. Worse there is no conspiracy anonymous or Naltrexone to treat the disease.

10 hours ago, Slim King said:

I used to live there and I still go to the beach all the time.

Insurance companies (the people whose job it is to know the threat that sea level poses) have this to say about your experience:

"The average person visiting a favorite beach or fishing hole surely won’t notice the difference."

https://www.insurancejournal.com/news/southeast/2017/07/26/458874.htm#:~:text=NOAA's higher scenario projections indicate,Panama City and Cedar Key.

Scientists agree that the water level is rising:

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/2018/02/23/northeast-florida-scientists-agree-sea-level-rise-is-here-and-its-dangerous/13985440007/

2 hours ago, Slim King said:

I've never said the sea level doesn't fluctuate. In fact I have stated it's in a constant state of change. As the photo evidence shows ... There is no visually discernible difference in photo's that span over 60 years.

From the previous link:

"The average person visiting a favorite beach or fishing hole surely won’t notice the difference."

There is no crisis. No one is drowning from rising sea levels.

76 people died during Ian.  Had sea levels been lower, fewer people would have died.

21 minutes ago, Slim King said:

I agree 100%...Name calling is not a logical argument.

Name calling (including things like accusing people of being sexual deviants because of their political views) is generally going to get a warning. There's more leeway here than in other forums, but it's not endless. Arguments are fair game; calling someone's argument the stupidest thing they've heard all day is just fine. It's way better if data is provided as to why that judgment was made.

Wendy P.

1 hour ago, wmw999 said:

... It's way better if data is provided as to why that judgment was made.

Wendy P.

Do you actually expect 'better data' from someone who refuses to answer whether or not he's praise a Democrat in a position of power for the response to a disaster?
Especially after giving huge praise to the guy who voted against relief funds for the Northeast after they had a huge storm?

Fun fact: Florida's Republican senators sent a letter begging for money in the wake of the storm.

THEY DAY AFTER they both voted against funding for...

Storm relief.

Data to support my claim:
https://news.yahoo.com/florida-senators-request-more-federal-181521091.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Slim King said:

That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day!!!!!

Yeah.

The idea that the Senators who represent FLORIDA voted against a bill funding storm relief the day BEFORE a major hurricane hits...

Florida.

Yep, that's pretty stupid.

On the same level as someone voting against storm relief funding, then a few years later, when Governor, begs and pleads for aid money.

I'm glad I'm not in charge. I'd have told DeSantis something like "I'll tell you what, I'll give you exactly what you were willing to give New York in the wake of Sandy. How about that?"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Slim King said:

That's the stupidest thing I've heard all day!!!!!

What is? Since you didn’t quote or refer to a post, I can only assume you’re referring to wolfriverjoe’s post. And since he included a source, I’m not sure what you think is stupid about it. It’s pretty factual. They did vote against the funding bill, disaster relief was in the stopgap funding bill, and they did ask for disaster relief.

Wendy P. 

What I find so humorous about the lack of logic here is that someone posts a shot of low tide 60 years ago 

Let's recap the conversation.

You said "Simply go to Daytona beach and look at it ... Then get a photo of Daytona beach 100 years ago... No discernible difference in the coast line."

I posted two pictures of a huge difference in the coast line that accompanied a letter from a man who said there was a huge difference.

You then said that pictures don't matter.

You are arguing against yourself here.

Then I posted these two  pictures which disproves every claim you've made!

So:

Slim King: Just look at two pictures taken some time apart!  They will show no sea level rise.
Me: Here are two pictures taken 60 years apart that show sea level rise.
Slim King: Pictures mean NOTHING!  There could be tides!  Other things!   Pictures are meaningless!

Slim King 10 posts later: Here are more pictures that show no sea level rise!  That's PROOF!

You're like a parody of a troll.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slim King said:

Then I posted these two  pictures which disproves every claim you've made!!!!! Taken THIS YEAR.

What date, time, tide level?

Again...do you think that NASA has a room full of scientists who just compare two pictures all day to measure the sea level?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, billvon said:

A non cherry picked graph that will be more illuminating to the more science oriented people:

temp-plot.jpg

Also one that lists sources.

I absolutely LOOOOOOVE how the resident troll posts shit with no attribution.

Just a picture. Or a graph.

No source, no mention of where it came from, no NOTHING.

And we're supposed to fall at his feet worshipping his insightfulness and intelligence.

Yeah...
No.

• Like 1