4 4
brenthutch

May’s Global Temperature coldest in 9 years

9 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

Nothing at all. You get to define "not appreciably" however you want. And like I said, coming from you, that definition makes perfect sense.

I know that I, for one, don’t appreciate the shit he posts

8 minutes ago, kallend said:

Since this thread is designed to confuse weather with climate:

https://www.wunderground.com/video/top-stories/heat-wave-sends-european-temperatures-soaring

Record highs in western Europe.

That is what we like to call weather.  Global warming is global.  Hot spells in a region are just that, hot spells in a region.  
Here is some regional cold to offset your heat

https://nypost.com/2022/06/19/northeast-sees-record-low-temperatures-on-fathers-day/

On 6/19/2022 at 4:03 PM, brenthutch said:

That is what we like to call weather.  Global warming is global.  Hot spells in a region are just that, hot spells in a region.

Brilliant argument. Unless there is a global event, there cannot be global warming.

Stunning intellect.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Right. 

Heat waves across the US.

And Europe.

And Asia.

But THAT'S not 'global'.

And the Arctic:

https://www.democracynow.org/2022/6/17/headlines/study_parts_of_arctic_warming_seven_times_faster_than_rest_of_the_earth

But it's currently cold in the Antarctic for no reason that BrentHutch can think of, so there's no global warming.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

But it's currently cold in the Antarctic for no reason that BrentHutch can think of, so there's no global warming.

The oceans are rising, the glaciers are retreating, the CO2 levels are increasing the childish arguments keep on coming from the troll and people keep acknowledging him. The world keeps right on turning anyway.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, billvon said:

And the Arctic:

https://www.democracynow.org/2022/6/17/headlines/study_parts_of_arctic_warming_seven_times_faster_than_rest_of_the_earth

According to NOAA the GLOBE  is no warmer than it was nine years ago, so you might want to take that up with them. Don’t get upset at me, I’m just sharing what government climate scientists say.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, brenthutch said:

According to NOAA the GLOBE  is no warmer than it was nine years ago, so you might want to take that up with them. Don’t get upset at me, I’m just sharing what government climate scientists say.

The NOAA don't need you to misinterpret their press releases for them.

They need someone who can read, for starters.

3 hours ago, olofscience said:

The NOAA don't need you to misinterpret their press releases for them.

Direct quote,

“The average global temperature in May was 1.46 degrees F (0.81 of a degree C) above the 20th-century average ranking as the ninth-warmest May on record — but the coolest May since 2013.”  

(edited)

More strawmen. You're still banging on your strawman that temperatures have to increase monotonically with CO2 level - NOBODY SAID THAT IT WOULD. The fact that you have to "create" the other side's arguments is the most obvious sign you don't have a chance.

2013 isn't even that long ago. July 2021 was the warmest month ever recorded, EVER, and what did we get from you? crickets.

Edited by olofscience

21 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Direct quote,

“The average global temperature in May was 1.46 degrees F (0.81 of a degree C) above the 20th-century average ranking as the ninth-warmest May on record — but the coolest May since 2013.”  

Just because it's accurate doesn't mean it isn't heresy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, winsor said:

Just because it's accurate doesn't mean it isn't heresy.

It also doesn’t make it a trend; it’s a single month, out of twelve, out of roughly 150 years for which we can sort of approximate data. The overall trend is rising. Individual points might be above and below that trend.

After all, I paid less for gasoline the other day than I did last month. Inflation is over, I guess 

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, olofscience said:

More strawmen. You're still banging on your strawman that temperatures have to increase monotonically with CO2 level - NOBODY SAID THAT IT WOULD. The fact that you have to "create" the other side's arguments is the most obvious sign you don't have a chance.

Good article on that:

If carbon dioxide hits a new high every year, why isn’t every year hotter than the last?

PUBLISHED NOVEMBER 23, 2021

Just like your car doesn’t reach top speed the instant you step on the gas, Earth’s temperature doesn’t react instantly to each year’s new record-high carbon dioxide levels.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/if-carbon-dioxide-hits-new-high-every-year-why-isn’t-every-year-hotter-last

CO2_vs_temp.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kallend said:

In 2018 Europe had its worst drought in 500 years.

This summer is worse.  Even the rainy UK has declared a drought.

https://apnews.com/article/european-droughts-dry-rivers-719b51330a47c7a85b060f6426874c5b

When will you finally get it?

Until:

• 2018 is worse than 2017 in every weather aspect simultaneously around the entire world
  • 2019 is worse than 2018 in every weather aspect simultaneously around the entire world
  • 2020 is worse than 2019 in every weather aspect simultaneously around the entire world
  • 2021 is worse than 2020 in every weather aspect simultaneously around the entire world
  • 2022 is worse than... well you get the picture

There is nothing to see here. It is just natural variation. We should continue as though nothing is wrong and not change even the slightest behavior.

36 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

Histrionics aside, global temperatures didn’t even crack the top five even though CO2 levels were the highest in modern history. The only thing getting hotter is the rhetoric.

You might not have noticed down at the gas station while you were pumping premium but other things have been happening in the world. For giggles, why not this time set the tone arm in it's rack and change the record? 

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

You might not have noticed down at the gas station while you were pumping premium but other things have been happening in the world. For giggles, why not this time set the tone arm in it's rack and change the record? 

That would require brent actually learning something. He's wayyyy too old for that, he'll just be on loop until he kicks the bucket, which is in his words - not too far away.

11 hours ago, olofscience said:

That would require brent actually learning something. He's wayyyy too old for that, he'll just be on loop until he kicks the bucket, which is in his words - not too far away.

Actuarial table says I only have a quarter of a century left :ohmygod:

1 hour ago, Slim King said:

Can anyone give me the names of 10 people who have died from Global Warming .... I'll wait. Toto has been pulling back the curtain on Global Warming for 14 years... Check out Tony Heller.

Welcome aboard, you'll do well here.

1 hour ago, Slim King said:

Can anyone give me the names of 10 people who have died from Global Warming .... I'll wait. Toto has been pulling back the curtain on Global Warming for 14 years... Check out Tony Heller.

Sure, here are five million:  https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-07-07/climate-change-linked-to-5-million-deaths-a-year-new-study-shows#xj4y7vzkg

But if you want specific names, here are some of the people who died last year due to climate change in Oregon:

Anderson, Rosemary
Appleton,Timothy
Beck, Carol
Cosgrove, RandallI
Fah, Fred
Gentry, Alice
Harris, Dan
Mallory, Keith
Newbrey, Michae
Pulliam, Wesley