1 1
shibu

Rx skydiving glasses for severe astigmatism

I wasn't sure if this belongs here or in the disabilities forum. I don't think of myself as disabled but I have alot of Astigmatism to the point that most eye doctors I see are surprised by it the first time they examine me.

Skydiving glasses were always an impediment for me. My vision is poor enough that I can't go without them. For a couple of years I found the perfect solution back when Liquid Eyewear made prescription lenses. Now they no longer make prescription lenses and my prescription changed.

The most popular brand on the DZs in NY are Gatorz. They do make prescription lenses but according to their website "Due to the wrap of our frames the prescription range that we can make prescription lenses is:
-3.00 sphere"

My prescription is -3.50 sphere.

Are there any other brands out there I should be checking out that any of you have actually enjoyed jumping with?

What was great about Liquid is that they fit really snug. That's important to me because if I have a hard opening that shifts my glasses even a little bit to the point that most other people would not even notice, I won't see anything but blur until I can readjust the frames on my face.

Edited by shibu
typo

My astigmatism isn't that bad, only -2.75 sph on my worst eye, but I found it was better to jump with a full face, and either use my regular prescription lenses or sunglasses, or my contacts and cheap sunglasses like shady rays.

Full face helmets tend to press the frames pretty tightly to your temples, and they don't shift much at all.

Have you looking it whether you are a candidate for ortho-k. They are hard contacts that you wear over night and they give you a temporary physical correction to your vision that last for the next 24 hours.

• Like 2

I do wear a full face. So maybe I can get away with a pair of sunglasses that are less substantial.

I never heard of Ortho-K. Will ask the doctor about it today.

I’m still interested is what prescription sunglasses other jumpers are wearing.

I have strong astigmatism and I like open face helmets. Just like you, I was using Liquid Eyewear until they stopped doing prescription. 

I switched to Wiley X. They have two models (and I have both) that are specifically made for strong prescriptions. The Boss and the Gravity. The Boss is a little wider. 

https://www.sportrx.com/wiley-x-gravity-adaptor.html

https://www.sportrx.com/wiley-x-boss-rx-adaptor.html

I got them at Sport RX and the service was very good. They come with a strap that helps keep them secure and a foam insert that keeps the wind out. The foam insert can be replaced if needed.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2022 at 3:53 PM, Holroyd said:

I have strong astigmatism and I like open face helmets. Just like you, I was using Liquid Eyewear until they stopped doing prescription. 

I switched to Wiley X. They have two models (and I have both) that are specifically made for strong prescriptions. The Boss and the Gravity. The Boss is a little wider. 

https://www.sportrx.com/wiley-x-gravity-adaptor.html

https://www.sportrx.com/wiley-x-boss-rx-adaptor.html

I got them at Sport RX and the service was very good. They come with a strap that helps keep them secure and a foam insert that keeps the wind out. The foam insert can be replaced if needed.

Hope this helps.

I think this is just what I was looking for. I noticed that the title says: WILEY X BOSS + RX ADAPTOR
Is the “RX adapter“ a prescription insert? My first pair of liquid sunglasses came with a prescription insert until they started making prescription lenses for their glasses.

Do you feel like you need the foam insert? I got them for my liquid sunglasses but stopped using them because there was no difference.

Did you get the anti fog coating?

21 hours ago, shibu said:

I think this is just what I was looking for. I noticed that the title says: WILEY X BOSS + RX ADAPTOR
Is the “RX adapter“ a prescription insert? My first pair of liquid sunglasses came with a prescription insert until they started making prescription lenses for their glasses.

Do you feel like you need the foam insert? I got them for my liquid sunglasses but stopped using them because there was no difference.

Did you get the anti fog coating?

The RX adaptor is not an insert. The frame is designed a little differently where the side extends a little farther out so that the lens can be flatter and accommodate higher prescriptions. if you look at the pictures of the Boss and the Boss + RX adaptor, you will notice immediatly what I am trying to explain. 

I feel like I really need the foam insert, but I have never tried to fly without it as I use an open face. I didn't get the anti fog coating, no need with an open face.

After a year of jumping, I felt like the foam was getting a little flat, and I got a replacement directly from Wiley X that is a little thicker than the original. 

https://www.wileyx.com/wx-boss-removable-facial-cavity-seal-thick-ccbosg2t