srikanth_1980m

Can I get any Job in skydiving world?

I am from India aged 35.I am working as software engineer for past 12 years.Was thinking of switching job.

I am willing to spend some time to get 200 Jumps in 7 Months from "New Zealand Skydiving School".

Can I get any job after this?

Given that I am Indian will employer be willing to sponsor work visa for me.

How does it work.Please advise.

Thanks-Srikanth Punagasela

skyjumpenfool

Are you willing to work for little to nothing, eat ramen noodles, and live in a dilapidated trailer... that leaks? :)

I am also planing to to work on a DZ in summer 2017 and I think this is pretty much the most likely scenario. I'm still hoping to find a trailer that doesn't leak, though... :D

Using the Search function resulted in several postings:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=search_results;search_forum_id=;search_string=New%20Zealand%20Skydiving%20School;search_user_username=;search_user_id=;search_time=;search_forum=all;search_forum_type=all;search_fields=sb;search_type=AND;page=2;mh=50;

You might also use the search function to explore "Work Visas" as it's been brought up on here numerous times.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

Buddy of mine made, I want to say $400 last year coaching. That's apparently too little to declare on your taxes (Came out to about $2 an hour.) After writing down costs, he's probably at a negative number. You can probably do a bit better packing, but I don't know how difficult it is to get in on a packing job. About the only thing that's certain about working at a dropzone is that you're not going to get rich doing it.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

srikanth_1980m

I am from India aged 35.I am working as software engineer for past 12 years.Was thinking of switching job.

I am willing to spend some time to get 200 Jumps in 7 Months from "New Zealand Skydiving School".

What is any job? Scrubbing toilets, washing tandem harnesses, packing sport rigs, packing tandems?

Are you talking about work jumps? No offense but I hope you don't get work jumps most places unless you are heading off to the NZ school with a few hundred jumps under your belt already. I wouldn't want you to have more experience before trying to film myself and a tandem passenger. You wouldn't have enough experience for an AFF rating, and you could do coach jumps but that really isn't a full time thing. I know my DZO would give coach jumps to our aspiring local jumpers first, and it should be that way.

[Quote]

Work visa's for skydiving in the US are extremely hard to come by. It normally isn't even possible, even if there is a willingness for a DZ to do so. There won't be willingness, work visa are expensive and difficult, and they aren't going to do this for a coach rated jumper, or a tandem packer.

Good luck. If I was you I would try to get a placement in the US doing computer programming, and go to the DZ on the weekends.

You can gain experience, still visit the US, and you will be able to feed and shelter yourself during the trip. Do that for a few times and you will have the experience for ratings.

I know people want to cutaway, I get it I am a tax accountant that works 70 hours a week some parts of the year, and is a tandem instructor on the weekends. It is tempting at times, but when it rains all week I don't go broke. If I ever break myself I can still earn money as long as I can wheel myself into work in front of my PC.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Are you a skydiver yet? No offence meant, but it sounds a bit like you aren't.
It's not a problem if not, it might just be a tad too early to think about switching jobs.
Is there a possibility to get training or at least do a tandem jump where you live (e.g. in one of the places named here: http://www.redbull.in/cs/Satellite/en_IN/Article/5-places-to-aerial-dive-in-India-021243307642901)?
I am fairly new to the sport myself so I am not in the position to throw advice around, but if you still want to hear it: Get into the sport, see if this is for you, make the decision about expensive courses later.

If you are indeed already a trained skydiver and are looking for advice for your further progress in the skydiving world then please forget everything I've just said and instead listen to the guys who actually work(ed) in the industry. Thanks ;)

I am not skydiver yet.

I did my tandem already.I have signed up for A-License Course this SEPTEMBER with Skydiveoz (near Sydney)

I like adventures a lot.Was thinking of something like this which interests me.

I am working in Singapore currently.My company can fire me in next 1 year.So was thinking instead of switching job (again into software).I can try my luck.

You can see me in this video.

http://youtu.be/c2zsOG4Lt0Y

But after looking at your comments ,I am rethinking.

You have to be willing to spend a whole lot more to get some decent form of income.....and, untill then, you will be the DZbum..
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

DougH

Good luck. If I was you I would try to get a placement in the US doing computer programming, and go to the DZ on the weekends.

This sounds a familiar story... I wonder where I've heard it before. :P
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

Trafficdiver

I say give it a shot. What's the worst that can happen...you fall in love with the sport and the people and end up pissing all of your money away and live in a leaky trailer.
Could be worse:)

A better question is, what is the most likely thing to happen? What fraction of people who sign up for a FJC remain active in the sport even just to reach the several hundred jump level? Very few. If even half of the students I observed at the DZ I jump at over the last 4 years stuck with it, they'd be running 3 otters full time every weekend. (They don't.)

So the odds are that, for any number of possible reasons, 3 years from now he won't be active in the sport. And if he took on debt, or blew his savings, up front hoping he's be one of small minority that keeps at it, the odds are that he will regret his decision. (And as others point out, it is not a lucrative career, and relative to coding software, a high risk of suffering an injury that prevents you from continuing that career).

srikanth_1980m

It's not so much can you get a job, but can you make a living and are you will to live below the poverty line.

I wish you luck and great success in becoming a skydiver. Welcome!

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

srikanth_1980m

But after looking at your comments ,I am rethinking

Bullshit.
Don't let this bring you down.
If a few comments is all it took to make you rethink, well, good luck succeeding in one of the most humbling and challenging experiences of your life.
But also the best thing you could ever do.

Dough is spot on. Paradoxically, I think you would be able to jump much more with a good job to support one of the most expensive habits/sports I know.
You'll be able to afford good, new, nice gear, spend tons of money in training, tunnel, camps, travelling with friends, and most important in jumping your ass off 2-3 days a week. And trust me, it's a never ending pit.

After a good weekend of training/jumping, you'll be glad to have 2-3 days to "recover" at work.
It's counter-intuitive, but by having a job and spending every extra penny/minute you can in the sport, your will be able to gather up the experience you need to "get a job in skydiving" much faster than if you had no job to support the initial stages. And you won't be going "all in" trying to make a professional living out of sport, which is a bet like in any other sport. Very few people make it, most people stay at the level where they only play for fun, compete at open events, etc. But they still have the time of their lives doing so.

If you want to do it only because you like the generic sense of adventure though, then you have the same chance of succeeding at being a successful archaeologist without knowing anything about archaeology.
I'm standing on the edge
With a vision in my head
My body screams release me
My dreams they must be fed... You're in flight.

DougH

***I am from India aged 35.I am working as software engineer for past 12 years.Was thinking of switching job.

What is any job? Scrubbing toilets, washing tandem harnesses, packing sport rigs, packing tandems?

Are you talking about work jumps? No offense but I hope you don't get work jumps most places unless you are heading off to the NZ school with a few hundred jumps under your belt already. I wouldn't want you to have more experience before trying to film myself and a tandem passenger. You wouldn't have enough experience for an AFF rating, and you could do coach jumps but that really isn't a full time thing. I know my DZO would give coach jumps to our aspiring local jumpers first, and it should be that way.

[Quote]

Work visa's for skydiving in the US are extremely hard to come by. It normally isn't even possible, even if there is a willingness for a DZ to do so. There won't be willingness, work visa are expensive and difficult, and they aren't going to do this for a coach rated jumper, or a tandem packer.

You can gain experience, still visit the US, and you will be able to feed and shelter yourself during the trip. Do that for a few times and you will have the experience for ratings.

I know people want to cutaway, I get it I am a tax accountant that works 70 hours a week some parts of the year, and is a tandem instructor on the weekends. It is tempting at times, but when it rains all week I don't go broke. If I ever break myself I can still earn money as long as I can wheel myself into work in front of my PC.
What an insightful post