Floats18

Best Skydiving Movie EVER (Chris Cowden)

If they had no issue with it, then no harm no foul....however if they reamed you a new asshole I would agree with them as well.

This is the key...

No need for anyone else to get there feathers all ruffled and have a bad day over a video.

On a side note, I was taught to be ok with the spot prior to climbing out (in case you slip and fall), and then not to lag in the door...because a premature in the door could take down the whole plane. Sure, an errant AC over the DZ is one thing, but most door lag seems to be the subsequent result of poor planning.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

this is ridiculous. he didn't even push the guy. he gave him a little nudge and the guy went. if the guy he nudged didn't want to leave the airplane he wouldn't have. it was just a "what are you guys waiting for" nudge. people need to chill out. if he actually pushed him it may be a different story but he DIDN'T

He's right. That didn't look like a push to me.

PUSHING A GUY OUT THE DOOR

now that did occur in the army at ft. benning..and it was usually with a size 12 in the lower back by the jm..while the same jm held on tho the overhead.

we called it encouragement

HOW BOUT IT GEMINI..you ever see pushing in the C-130 at benning..sorry ment the SKYTRAIN

59 YEARS,OVERWEIGHT,BALDIND,X-GRUNT
LAST MIL. JUMP VIET-NAM(QUAN-TRI)
www.dzmemories.com

One of the most hilarious things I have ever seen in Skydiving was when 2 guys where sitting in the back of the plane. We where climbing over a very nice beach in Mexico with the door open. The guy next to the door was sitting there with closed eyes, relaxing a little. I saw that the guy that was sitting away from the door carefully checked the other guys chest strap and leg straps with his eyes, spotet if we where over sea and near to the landing zone, checked the altitude (approx. 6000 feet) and then pushed the guy out of the door.
The last thing I saw of the guy that was pushed out where his extremely widened eyes and a very surprised expression on his face.
I know… dangerous, very bad, USPA shocker, bla bla bla…
But we all had a good laugh!!!

Editet to add:
They where both very experienced Skydivers...
Michi (#1068)
hsbc/gba/sba
www.swissbaseassociation.ch
www.michibase.ch

The fact of the matter was, by the time I pushed them, the pilot was almost demanding we get out now, so at that point I was more concerned with that.

From the start of the video to the time they left the airplane was 8/9 sec. Does not seem long enough to be an issue.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Looks to me that the 8-9 seconds is the time it takes the last 2 guys to move into place. If you factor the time after the green light to the climb out of the other 2 and then the 8-9 seconds it takes for the last 2 to move into place that you see on the video, I would guess the total climb out to be somewhere in the 20+ second range.

The fact of the matter was, by the time I pushed them, the pilot was almost demanding we get out now, so at that point I was more concerned with that.

From the start of the video to the time they left the airplane was 8/9 sec. Does not seem long enough to be an issue.

Sparky

I think the root cause of the "lack of calm and coolness" is no one can see the ground.....also maybe the pilot is low time. correct?

rm

I absolutely LOVE this and how it's become a soapbox for some and a secret joke to other (less uptight) people. Most especially because everyone who was actually THERE and DIRECTLY INVOLVED said that it was neither an actual push, nor was it considered unsafe by any of the parties ACTUALLY INVOLVED.
Speculate all you want, this was some funny stuff, made more hilarious by the grandstanding in here.
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I absolutely LOVE this and how it's become a soapbox for some and a secret joke to other (less uptight) people. Most especially because everyone who was actually THERE and DIRECTLY INVOLVED said that it was neither an actual push, nor was it considered unsafe by any of the parties ACTUALLY INVOLVED.
Speculate all you want, this was some funny stuff, made more hilarious by the grandstanding in here.

I didn't have the patience to read all the comments in here, though Chris told me about some of them. Yours is about the best I've seen or heard of though. When we talked about it on the ground after the jump, the 1st group admitted that they had forgotten to work out who would say go.... We have a history of making humorous (at least to us) videos and posting them for the world to see. So here's a warning to all y'all...... (official disclaimer coming)

If you are humor challenged, you may want to stay away from sidsrigging.com or badfishfreefly.com, 'cause we make fun of ourselves - A LOT!

Everyone that we jump with should understand that WE LOVE TO FLY AND IT SHOWS (sorry Delta) and we will keep having fun and when we see an opportunity to make a funny video out of it - We Will!

I was especially proud of freeze framing that video to show Chris looking mean ('cause he ain't, he's a whus! I could take him with one hand tied behind my back - he's not here is he ? :S)

If you got the joke! Welcome to our fucked up world, keep watching 'cause I intend to have a fun filled season and I've got a camera now :o
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

If you are humor challenged, you may want to stay away from sidsrigging.com or badfishfreefly.com, 'cause we make fun of ourselves - A LOT!

Ah, now here is the problem. *This* group didn't have a problem with it. So now a bunch of folks do not see a problem pushing people out at all. No matter that it could be dangerous, not to mention rude.

Question. A guy pulls low. Is it OK and his right? (I think it is). Is it OK for the DZO to ground him? (Again I think yes).

Question. If a guy pushed another out, and when the two landed the pushie punched the pusher in the face....Would you be OK with that as well? I would.

The simple fact is while it CAN be funny. It can also be dangerous and quite rude.

So while there was no harm, no foul here....I can see danger and how some have the right to be quite pissed about it as well.

And if you push a guy out that does not find it funny...In my world that guy has every right to punch you in the nose....After all, he and his friends might find him breaking your nose funny. I mean as long as its funny right?.....See how "humor" depends on the situation?

A great comedian once said that humor is really playing with peoples pain.

Most humor is at the expense of someone. While I don't mind words, PHYSICAL comedy that could endanger is something else.

I have said it before, and this will be my last word on this, I think it can be funny. I also think that the person pushed has a right to get upset and knock the guy about the head later. So you need to be careful who you push, or be ready to accept a fight.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

and this will be my last word on this

Thank god!! We don't have to be subjected to your over-analytical, tough guy, break someone's face if it happened to me, crap anymore! Pretty much everything you said cannot be related to this video, situation or people involved. No one was pissed who were actually there, but I guess you are right, people do have the right to be pissed off about something that didn't happen to them and also have the right to make a bunch of bullshit out of nothing.

When I go back and watch this video, I can absolutley not believe that THIS is the video people are so upset about! :S

This is just so, so wrong. How can anyone saying that a gentle nudge with the hand is ok?! Are you people insane?

It's quite evident that a swift kick up the ass would have been far more efficient, probably more satisfying, and would have been better for video too.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

It's quite evident that a swift kick up the ass would have been far more efficient, probably more satisfying, and would have been better for video too.

Sssshhhhhhhhh - that's the NEXT video - how the hell did you get to see the storyboards??????????
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

Ah, now here is the problem. *This* group didn't have a problem with it. So now a bunch of folks do not see a problem pushing people out at all. No matter that it could be dangerous, not to mention rude.

You know what Ron? You already established how important your opinion is to me when you made insensitive, crass and downright rude remarks while I was trying to report on the death of a team mate in the incident forum back in 2003. Your heart may be in the right place, but I'm pretty sure your head's up your ass! I know there has to be a purpose for having people with your disposition in the sport - WAIT I got it! Next time I see someone having way too much fun, I'll send them your way, you can suck the joy right out of their life.

(I'm not sure if this crosses the line into a personal attack, if it does, a mod can take it off :S )
Pete Draper,

Personal opinion, for each person to validate or reject on their own. B|
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

>I'm not sure if this crosses the line into a personal attack . . .

Uh, yes, when you tell someone that their head is up their ass that would be a personal attack. For an easy test, imagine what you would think if someone said that to you.

So cut it out. Your one warning.

>I'm not sure if this crosses the line into a personal attack . . .

Uh, yes, when you tell someone that their head is up their ass that would be a personal attack. For an easy test, imagine what you would think if someone said that to you.

So cut it out. Your one warning.

I apologize
Pete Draper,

Thank god!! We don't have to be subjected to your over-analytical, tough guy, break someone's face if it happened to me, crap anymore!

Oh I'm back for this.

Where exactly did I say I would break someones face?....Go ahead look it up. I said I would support the guys right to punch someone if someone was so rude and reckless.

You don't like what I type....DON'T READ IT. If you do try to read it, try making sure you read it correctly, not jumping off half cocked and start making personal attacks.

Sheesh.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334