mr.walczak

Anyone broken their pelvis and continued jumping?

Hey guys, Quick question for you... In October I shattered my pelvis in a motorcycle accident and in the midst of recovering .. Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar injury whether skydiving or not and still been able to jump after recovery?.. Doctors opinions only go so far and would like to hear from someone who has gone through the same thing I have and still continued jumping. How long did you wait? etc

Thanks

P.s heres the X-ray to compare

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7579/15728588858_560e48cb76_z.jpg[/img]

mr.walczak

Hey guys, Quick question for you... In October I shattered my pelvis in a motorcycle accident and in the midst of recovering .. Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar injury whether skydiving or not and still been able to jump after recovery?.. Doctors opinions only go so far and would like to hear from someone who has gone through the same thing I have and still continued jumping. How long did you wait? etc

Thanks

P.s heres the X-ray to compare

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7579/15728588858_560e48cb76_z.jpg

Wrong mark-ups. Corrected.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Yep!! I did. I also broke my back in 3 places. I was a very lucky puppy. It took a couple years and a lot of work, but I fully recovered and now (at age 58) do everything I want.... ski, jump, run, water ski, you name it. The body is an amazing thing, give it time and it will heal.

Find a good doc that understands active lifestyles. Take care of yourself and do what it takes to heal. Then, enjoy your life.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I have a friend that had a minor break and was back jumping in just a few months. Another person that I know, had a very major break, looks worse than yours, and after about 3 years, has not had proper healing and it still trying to get back to normal.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Not me, but a friend. Double femur (one compound) and pelvis.
Swoop gone bad.

Rods in each leg, a couple screws in his pelvis.

Spent the summer in a wheelchair (it happened in May) and jumped again on the one year anniversary.

That sort of injury does have long term consequences. He has pain in his hips on and off.

He was having a lot of pain, so he went to the doc. He came back and said the doc told him he "had a screw loose."

I looked at him and said "I know that, did he say why your hip hurts?"

:P

Also, Douglas Spotted Eagle had a similar injury, legs and hips. He returned to the sky too. It was pretty well documented on here.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I appreciate the replies! Keep em coming! .. I feel good as of the 4 month mark .. I'm working out etc .. Still my left leg/hip isn't 100 percent but I walk almost fine and can jog lightly .. As far as the metal coming out I think it's permanent as far as my knowledge goes.. What's the biggest fear? Opening shock? or a botched landing??

Botched landing.

You might become one of those who just goes mellow under their canopy. I've seen hardcore pond swooper turning into just a dude with a Sabre 2 190.

I've also seen people who just does not give a fuck and still swoop like the old days with pins and plates in them.

It is really up to you.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

mr.walczak

... Opening shock? or a botched landing??

As said above, Landing. Injuries from opening do happen, but the incidence is very low compared with landing injuries. If you do lots of stretching and are able to do a bunch of PLFs from a platform without much discomfort, chances are good.

Kevin K.

Five months after tibia surgery, I can walk without pain most days, but twisting my knee or running still hurts. I go to the gym three times per week to work on rehabilitating weak leg muscles. The surgeon warned me not to run or hop for the first six months after surgery.
If the bones a re-aligned correctly, you should be able to return to all previous sports.

https://www.facebook.com/dspottedeagle/media_set?set=a.1159705546141.25459.1032868837&type=3

https://skyvideo.wordpress.com/2009/10/19/live-live-with-no-regrets-recovery-road-part-one/

4000 skydives since that day. I struggle with cold, still have the rod in my pelvis (and the plate with broken screws).
PT is the hard road back, but it's been well worth it (for me, YMMV)

I too was in a motorcycle wreck May 23rd 2013. I fractured my pelvis and my back in six places. From your story you sound like you are healing well. My wife ask the Doctor if I would walk again, he said he could not give a definite answer that it would be up to me. I was able to take my first steps after 3 months in a hospital bed. I spent four weeks in a rehab hospital. I spent two more months in a hospital bed and wheelchair. I went to physical therapy for ten months and to this day I do stretching and the prescribed exercises from my therapist. On a good day I can walk 100 feet and sit up for maybe a total of 30 minutes. I still hope to get better, I will not give up. Everyone is different in their ability to heal and the exact nature of their injury. I am sure I will never jump or even ride again. You sound like you are healing well. Most Doctors probably would not release you to jump, in the end it is your decision. There are others with these types of injuries that have returned to jumping, I hope you will be on that list.

IIRC my AFFI had a shattered pelvis at one point. Seemed to be just fine.

I know there are many "show me your metal" posts in the disabilities section, may want to pick brains in there too.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

My daddy loved say "It all depends .."

Whether a fractured pelvis can ever jump again depends upon a variety of factors.
How badly did you shatter your pelvis?
How well did the first surgeon put the parts back together?
How precisely were those shattered bones re-aligned?
How fit were you before the accident?
Did you smoke?
How old were you when you cracked your pelvis?
How much supplemental surgery could you afford?
How much bed rest could you afford?
How much food could you afford?
How much rehab could you afford?

Well said, Rob.
I was 48, had money, great insurance, and a strong desire to get back into the air.
It was one of the hardest things I ever did, and often still I wonder if I should have.

riggerrob

My daddy loved say "It all depends .."
Whether a fractured pelvis can ever jump again depends upon a variety of factors.
How badly did you shatter your pelvis?
How well did the first surgeon put the parts back together?
How precisely were those shattered bones re-aligned?
How fit were you before the accident?
Did you smoke?
How old were you when you cracked your pelvis?
How much supplemental surgery could you afford?
How much bed rest could you afford?
How much food could you afford?
How much rehab could you afford?

I crushed my sacrum in '04 and haven't jumped since. Almost a year in the hospital, MRSA, open pelvic wound for 2+ years, 24 surgeries, a colostomy or two, and years of PT made me rethink my priorties, and life in general. Docs didn't think I'd live, let alone walk again but I proved them all wrong. Life now is as good, if not better, than it's ever been. I haven't jumped since 05/24/2004 but I still dream skydiving and live vicariously through my friends . Blue skies.