stratostar

Citizens for quiet skies

FlyingRhenquest

***Got a link for the hot-air balloon complaints? It's entertaining reading.

Nope, I'd just heard it second-hand from a couple of the balloon pilots in the area.

Read her comment under the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKi1bR7Aj7w
:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Oh my gaaaaawwwwddd!

Ms Gibbs identified a BLACK HELICOPTER! Holy Tri-Lateral Commission and Batman...those black helicopters are real.

She got the tail number to and IDENTIFIED the actual make and model of the helicopter. Wow she's getting real hip to aviation!
Ah but she got put in her place by the FAA when she was on such roll!

And the beat goes. I guess we'll see what happens in April 2015 when her lawsuit finally goes to trial.

I've decided to start up a group Citizens for Open Space. You see I'd like to force all of my neighbors to move out and abandon their homes so I can bulldoze them and create open fields around my house. I'd like to raise some live stock and enjoy the peace and serenety of the New England landscape.

All I need to do is forcefully evict 8000 or so of my neighbors. Their presence is in direct conflict to my dreams of a natural New Englamd setting.

I'm setting up a paypal account.

Sounds like a helicopter inspecting power lines to me. Pretty rountine use for a helicopter, IMO. And to do it properly, you need to be close enough to the power lines and associated equipment to be able to "inspect" it. That this nit-wit doesn't understand that and writes this ridiculous screed demonstrates her lunacy.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

ridebmxbikes

My understanding is that when the house was purchased, Ms Gibbs received a letter that stated very clearly that her house was near the airport, and that there was going to be airplane noise, and that the airport had expansion plans which would possibly increase the noise.

When she or her fellow "airplane haters" were posting in the thread, I asked specifically about that letter.

No response from the anti-airplane crowd.
No real surprise at that.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

wolfriverjoe

My understanding is that when the house was purchased, Ms Gibbs received a letter that stated very clearly that her house was near the airport, and that there was going to be airplane noise, and that the airport had expansion plans which would possibly increase the noise.

When she or her fellow "airplane haters" were posting in the thread, I asked specifically about that letter.

She does not live near an airport.
Boulder's airport is 4 miles away.
Longmont's airport is 6 miles away.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ryoder

Really?
I thought it was closer than that.
Maybe it's that she is on the approach path.

I could have sworn there was a letter of some sort when she bought the house. I remember it from one of the news stories linked in one of the threads. I took a quick look, but I can't find it again.

I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time (or the last).

Edit to add:
Found it.

http://www.examiner.com/article/critics-harass-pilots-and-businesses-of-longmont-airport

The statement is given to people "in the airport influence zone."

It doesn't say how big that is. But I doubt that 8 miles is still in it.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Remember this is the same nimrod who complained about traffic from Centennial Airport thirty miles away!

Longmont's airport at top right corner.
Boulder's airport at bottom left corner.

She appears to be "following the money" now...

http://www.dailycamera.com/guest-opinions/ci_27054767/kimberly-gibbs-longmont-airport-woes-self-inflicted

OPINION: GUEST OPINIONS

Kimberly Gibbs: Longmont airport woes self-inflicted
POSTED: 12/02/2014 07:49:45 PM MST

The Colorado Division of Aeronautics is taking some well-deserved heat for grossly overestimating next year's tax revenue from aviation fuel sales. This revenue is used to fund the Colorado Discretionary Aviation Grant Program (DAGP), which supports runway maintenance and other improvement projects for Colorado's 74 public-use airports. The grants for 2015 were initially projected at $15 million, but they were recently revised downward to $3 million - a $12 million shortfall.

Colorado airport managers harshly criticized the division's wild miscalculation. And Longmont airport manager Tim Barth stated that the funding cutbacks will hamper airport and economic growth down the line ("Colorado airport officials admit errors, vow to save grant program," Denver Post, Nov. 19). But there is more to this story than meets the eye.

For those of us who have analyzed the airport budget, it is obvious, at least in Longmont's case, that the funding crisis has been years in the making and largely self-inflicted. Longmont officials have fully embraced a budget model that relies too heavily on federal and state subsidies, and not enough on revenue from airport users - a tiny fraction of residents who actually benefit from the airport. City officials are responsible for charging reasonable fees to use airport property. Yet for many years Longmont has elected to leave money on the table, as the following examples show.

1. The airport has designated a Parachute Landing Area, aka skydive drop zone, covering about 40 acres. Assuming for a moment that the best use for this prime real estate is a drop zone, shouldn't the city earn revenue from its use?

The Longmont Municipal Code (section 4.64.040) clearly specifies a $7,500 annual fee for the use of airport property and further states that no one may use this area without first obtaining an applicable permit. Yet, curiously, the city is not assessing this fee. In fact, there have been no drop zone fees assessed since June 1999.

2. In 2007 the city leased about 180,000 square feet of airport property to a skydive operator. The initial annual lease amount was $41,566 (roughly 23 cents per square foot.) The skydiving company currently enjoys the use of that land. However, that lease is still considered "inactive" and no fees have been assessed or collected - ever.

3. In 2004 and 2007 the city considered a modest $1 per jump fee, which would generate more than $30,000 in airport revenue annually. Both times, this funding option was rejected. Again in February 2012, the Airport Advisory Board (AAB) revisited the proposed fee. A brief discussion followed in which a city employee described the airport budget as "bare bones." Still the AAB voted unanimously to strike all information regarding the skydiving jump fee from the Airport Business Plan, thus hampering any further consideration by the city council. The result: zero revenue.

Longmont officials have a fiduciary duty to manage the airport finances ethically and in the best interests of the community. The first step toward solving the airport budget crisis is ending the great giveaway program. Airport users should pay a fair market rate for use of airport property - especially private businesses that are reaping enormous profits and enjoying a free ride at taxpayer expense.

Kimberly Gibbs is a Boulder County resident and the organizer of Citizens For Quiet Skies.

Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

ryoder

Remember this is the same nimrod who complained about traffic from Centennial Airport thirty miles away!

Longmont's airport at top right corner.
Boulder's airport at bottom left corner.

How about that? Neither airport's runways line up with her house. What a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitch.... :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

cpoxon

She appears to be "following the money" now...

http://www.dailycamera.com/guest-opinions/ci_27054767/kimberly-gibbs-longmont-airport-woes-self-inflicted

OPINION: GUEST OPINIONS

Kimberly Gibbs: Longmont airport woes self-inflicted
POSTED: 12/02/2014 07:49:45 PM MST

The Colorado Division of Aeronautics is taking some well-deserved heat for grossly overestimating next year's tax revenue from aviation fuel sales. This revenue is used to fund the Colorado Discretionary Aviation Grant Program (DAGP), which supports runway maintenance and other improvement projects for Colorado's 74 public-use airports. The grants for 2015 were initially projected at $15 million, but they were recently revised downward to $3 million - a $12 million shortfall.

Colorado airport managers harshly criticized the division's wild miscalculation. And Longmont airport manager Tim Barth stated that the funding cutbacks will hamper airport and economic growth down the line ("Colorado airport officials admit errors, vow to save grant program," Denver Post, Nov. 19). But there is more to this story than meets the eye.

For those of us who have analyzed the airport budget, it is obvious, at least in Longmont's case, that the funding crisis has been years in the making and largely self-inflicted. Longmont officials have fully embraced a budget model that relies too heavily on federal and state subsidies, and not enough on revenue from airport users - a tiny fraction of residents who actually benefit from the airport. City officials are responsible for charging reasonable fees to use airport property. Yet for many years Longmont has elected to leave money on the table, as the following examples show.

1. The airport has designated a Parachute Landing Area, aka skydive drop zone, covering about 40 acres. Assuming for a moment that the best use for this prime real estate is a drop zone, shouldn't the city earn revenue from its use?

The Longmont Municipal Code (section 4.64.040) clearly specifies a $7,500 annual fee for the use of airport property and further states that no one may use this area without first obtaining an applicable permit. Yet, curiously, the city is not assessing this fee. In fact, there have been no drop zone fees assessed since June 1999.

2. In 2007 the city leased about 180,000 square feet of airport property to a skydive operator. The initial annual lease amount was $41,566 (roughly 23 cents per square foot.) The skydiving company currently enjoys the use of that land. However, that lease is still considered "inactive" and no fees have been assessed or collected - ever.

3. In 2004 and 2007 the city considered a modest $1 per jump fee, which would generate more than $30,000 in airport revenue annually. Both times, this funding option was rejected. Again in February 2012, the Airport Advisory Board (AAB) revisited the proposed fee. A brief discussion followed in which a city employee described the airport budget as "bare bones." Still the AAB voted unanimously to strike all information regarding the skydiving jump fee from the Airport Business Plan, thus hampering any further consideration by the city council. The result: zero revenue.

Longmont officials have a fiduciary duty to manage the airport finances ethically and in the best interests of the community. The first step toward solving the airport budget crisis is ending the great giveaway program. Airport users should pay a fair market rate for use of airport property - especially private businesses that are reaping enormous profits and enjoying a free ride at taxpayer expense.

Kimberly Gibbs is a Boulder County resident and the organizer of Citizens For Quiet Skies.

#3 is flat out illegal according to the Feds. Cities and states have tried that and been told in no uncertain terms that such a tax is not allowed. The "short discussion" may have been that... a short discussion about the fact it is illegal. And $30K a year on a $12 Million dollar shortfall is not even a drop in the bucket, its just wishful thinking.

Jump more, post less!

wolfriverjoe

Really?
I thought it was closer than that.
Maybe it's that she is on the approach path.

I could have sworn there was a letter of some sort when she bought the house...

The statement is given to people "in the airport influence zone."
It doesn't say how big that is. But I doubt that 8 miles is still in it.

My house in Yuma, AZ is about five miles from the dual-use city airport/Marine Corps air station -- where they fly Harriers and now F-35s. I could watch Harriers in the pattern barely hear them from my house. Yet I was required to sign a letter of understanding that I was purchasing a home within the noise impact of the field. My house wasn't even under any flight paths! :S
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I'll admit that sometimes living 2 miles from Ellington Field in Houston (where the astronauts all maintain their currency) can suck when they're flying something fast and taking off to the south. You can't hear anything then. They take off in pairs, so it's twice.

Doesn't happen often, but ya know -- the airport was here first. And when I want to watch the airshow, I can just walk to the end of the street.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Our house is about a mile from SFB.
Dreamliners, 777's, Even a couple of AB 380's.
Those are whisper quiet, even on an emergency go around a mere couple of hundred feet over the top of the house.
Seeing a 788 doing a go around right over me is AWESOME!

The MD-80/88's remind me of F-4's. Those old engines are loud!!!

We hear student aircraft ALL DAY LONG EVERY DAY. Cessna's, Cirrus', and a few twins, also the occasional small personal/business jets. They're not loud and you can't hear them inside the house.

Andrea still laughs when I hear something out of the ordinary and immediately go running outside.
:D
Multiple flight apps, binoculars, and flight schedules for the big new birds keeps me pretty happy.
Chasing down the A-4 a few years ago, I made some great friends!

You can build a relatively cheap (<$100) ADS-B receiver and get a free FlightAware enterprise account out of the deal. Just needs power and network (though a new antenna would help greatly).

Lets you track tail numbers and types among other things.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I guess I'm late for this party, and I just now found this thread last night, and have not read the whole thing yet, but from what I've read so far, it appears this bitch is only attacking the DZ's, and I think I saw something about a helicopter, so the question I have is, is that the only group she's targeting and not attacking all aviation? If it is, it would appear to me that this could fall under Discrimination laws!

Jumpdude

I guess I'm late for this party, and I just now found this thread last night, and have not read the whole thing yet, but from what I've read so far, it appears this bitch is only attacking the DZ's, and I think I saw something about a helicopter, so the question I have is, is that the only group she's targeting and not attacking all aviation? If it is, it would appear to me that this could fall under Discrimination laws!

They seem to hate basically all aviation. Should they actually manage to close the DZ down, they'll find something else to harass the airport for. Should they manage to close down Vance Brand, they'd probably start going after DIA. The CQS nutjobs even complain about the hot air balloons in the area from time to time.

We have a name for people like this down in Florida; "Condo Crabs." They buy their condo, scuttle into it and spend all their time up in their neighbors' shit. Such people are usually old, at least mildly crazy and universally hated by everyone. The only joy in their tiny little lives is in harassing others for having better lives than them. Really the best thing you can do with them is ignore them as much as humanely possible and hope that they die of ass cancer as soon as possible. Which I'm pretty sure is how most of the condo crabs in Florida go (They're really VERY old.)
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

Kelly Mahoney told the council that she lives outside of the pre-approved flight plan for planes yet still sees pilots flying airplanes above her home, causing her and her husband to fear for their safety.

"I've tracked airplanes, including Mile-Hi (Skydiving company) descending 100 feet in three seconds, going 80 MPH all while the aircraft is only 300 feet above my house," Mahoney told council. "I can see their eyes."

http://www.timescall.com/longmont-local-news/ci_27151652/longmont-hires-airport-attorneys
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo