stratostar

Citizens for quiet skies

normiss

We're just over a mile from a decent sized international airport (we've had Dreamliners and A-380's).
I LOVE LOVE LOVE when the storm cells force the heavies directly over our house.
Nothing cooler than looking into a passenger window just a few hundred feet over the house on a wingtip!
Andrea laughs at me when in the middle of a conversation, I hear something different and can't stop....I go running outside like a fat kid after the ice cream truck.

A few flight schools, so we see a lot of Cessna's, Cirrus, and a couple of small twins all day every day. Some sweet business jets.

The ghetto buzzard flies pretty regular too. THAT one I hate.

I love airports! Of course I don't have insomnia and sit outside in the dark and whisper about THAT SUPER LOUD AIRCRAFT KEEPING ME AWAKE on a video where the birds and crickets are louder than the damn aircraft. [:/]

:D:D Every time my wife and I visited her grandmother in the New Hyde Park community on Long Island, not far from JFK International Airport, I'd notice these huge jumbo jets on final approach. Lots of 747's from Europe. I wouldn't mind living under a corridor as the noise wouldn't bother me. Just the same, I wouldn't want some part accidentally breaking off a plane and hitting my house, although that's rare.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

normiss

We're just over a mile from a decent sized international airport (we've had Dreamliners and A-380's).

Intentionally? :D:D

I get a lot of low level scud running types of flights going directly over my house as well as some military planes shooting approaches. Almost never get out in time to see the scud runners though.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

hcsvader

Half hour later it happens again. The other tourist at the bar start complaining about how noisy and disruptive it is, the locals say sorry but the military are training all week and they run laps around the island every afternoon.

They're doing cardio wrong... or they're doing it the smart way. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

normiss

LOL.
I'm actually looking at "working from home" on certain days so I can go see the 788 and a 380 land/take off.
It's impressive. B|

Our "working from home" got revoked. Makes no sense, I can do everything except physically check ports are patched from home... even have a VoIP work phone set up at home... but noooo. [:/]

Great, now she has achieved what she is after - cost to the dz. I wonder though how her side of the legal fees are being paid and is there any chance of the DZ recoop their legal fees from her?
Kevin Keenan is my hero, a double FUP, he does so much with so little

mirage62

Great, now she has achieved what she is after - cost to the dz. I wonder though how her side of the legal fees are being paid and is there any chance of the DZ recoop their legal fees from her?

She was asking for donations but I don't know how much she's got left.

Hopefully nowhere near what her attorney charges her.

Poetic justice would be if she has to sell her house to pay her legal fees and has to move somewhere else more in her price range, maybe near a major freeway or railroad....
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

obelixtim

Poetic justice would be if she has to sell her house to pay her legal fees and has to move somewhere else more in her price range, maybe near a major freeway or railroad....

A good chunk of Gunbarrel is RIGHT ON a railroad track! Goddamn thing comes through at 4:30 AM with the conductor leaning on the horn for all it's worth. Strangely I'm the only person who seems to complain about THAT!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

FlyingRhenquest

A good chunk of Gunbarrel is RIGHT ON a railroad track! Goddamn thing comes through at 4:30 AM with the conductor leaning on the horn for all it's worth. Strangely I'm the only person who seems to complain about THAT!

Start an organization: Citizens for Quiet Rails :D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Iago

Start an organization: Citizens for Quiet Rails :D

Ooh, you know I would, but I'm not a whiny little bitch!

You need some of these for the parking lot of the next quiet sky's meeting:):)

Yeah, but these people have already shown that they have NO sense of humor.
Leave no DNA:ph34r:

Wear surgical gloves when putting em on the bumper

Perhaps I'm just too much of an idiot to think like a well-esteemed and open-minded individual like Kim (snicker snicker), but let's say skydiving stopped at that airport. Then what? Are general aviation operations to be stopped as well? What's the point of having an airport then?

If skydivers move out, GA will move in no question and back to square one. If that does happen y'all should get ultralights and buzz the houses. Nothing wrong with that according to the FARs :P
"I would rather be ashes than dust. I would rather be a majestic eagle riding a missile across the sky with sparklers than be an old couch potato." - Jack London (paraphrased)

They've complained about the hot air balloons in the area too. Fact of the matter is, they just don't like seeing anyone in "their" sky. The FAA seems pretty hot to increase the length of the runway so that business class jets can land here without weight restrictions. It sounds like Iron Ridge has the go-ahead to start conducting experimental drone operations out of there, too. Whether skydivers are there or not, operations at the airport are only going to increase.

Even if the airport were completely shut down, we're on the DIA approach and have dozens of commercial air liners, as well as air traffic from other local airports in Boulder, Erie, Broomfield and a few others.

Realistically Longmont's not going to shut Vance Brand down, either. It brings in some fat FAA grants and drives airport-related economic activity. Some of those grants would have to be repaid if the airport were shut down.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?