srikanth_1980m

AFF fear or anxiety

I am good adventure enthusiast. (In decent health)

I did World Highest Bungy Jump, tandem skydiving, World Highest via Ferrata activity, Hiked up dangerous plank walk in Hua Shan, Water rafting etc.

Was thinking of AFF Course. But I don't know why, cannot describe this feeling is it anxiety or fear. I am getting dreams of skydiving daily. At times in dream I feel I should not do it. When I wake up I want to sign up for course.

Is fear common before AFF Course?

How to overcome fear. Please advise.

Thanks,
Srikanth Punagasela:)

Totally normal. EVERYONE I've spoken to has been fearful.

I'd also done tandem, bungys, etc.

IMO. It takes balls to do a full AFF, it won't be easy at times, you'll probably wonder what you're doing it for, you may consider coming back down in the plane, you'll be secretly glad when the weather stops you going up.

The fear won't suddenly disappear after the first AFF jump either (I assumed 2nd jump onwards would be easy). Before you know if you'll be jumping with one instructor, then solo, then doing unstable stuff, then hop & pop. Each time you'll be pushed psychologically.

It does slowly change to excitement though. I'm getting there after 15 jumps, though there is still some fear.

To me this is part of the personal challenge, and just needs grit to get through. And, of course it's all worth it....

You are jumping out of a plane.
If the parachute doesn't work you'll die.
You are likely to feel fear or anxiety at some point.

What matters is how badly you want to do it.

Everything will be more clear when you're standing on the ground again after your first jump. :)

So many I have talked to had fear on at least AFF level 1 including some of the instructors. I certainly did. I think it must be very normal. Learning to skydive is a big thing and it takes some courage, so it seems perfectly rational to give it some thought before you start the course.
What we do is not a natural thing and I am willing to bet in your dream your brain is trying to process what you are thinking about during the day, thats how it works with dreams. Our brains do crazy stuff when we are asleep. But your logical brain when you are awake knows what it wants to do and is smart enough to think about the risks of skydiving and accept it, since you still want to skydive. That desire is probably not going to go away any time soon, so you may as well learn to jump :) Just think what is it that you really want, and if that is to skydive, then do it. Keep that goal in mind when you feel nervous, it can help you push fear aside when you want something bad enough. That was how I got to the door when I was extremely stressed for my level 1 jump. Mental discipline, just forced myself to do it even when part of my brain was screaming "don't do this!" as I sat by the door waiting to jump. The second I was out the door, the fear was gone and I was so happy to be jumping.

I am part way through the course myself now, loving it. Next jump will be Level 4. Each level you do prepares you for the next. Its ok to be nervous, most everyone I have talked to have said they were to start with. And then it becomes fun.

One of the best resources I found for dealing with fear and understanding it is Transcending Fear by Brian Germain. I followed the advice in the book on deep breathing, relaxation and visualisation which worked very well for me, I really recommend it.

You are dreaming about it because you want to do it!! There's only one way out of the situation and it's by doing it!! If you aren't afraid of jumping out of a plane for the first time then you probably aren't human and shouldn't be on this forum. Anxiety, fear, that's all part of the menu. It is important that you find an awesome drop zone though, the people you jump with will make the difference, do your homework and make every effort to go to the best DZ that you can find. I am working on my AFF this year myself. Best wishes!! XOXO
Blue skies, green lights!

Here is another perspective on your anxiety: with the abundance of high-performance activities you seem to like, is it safe to deduce that you pick up new skills pretty quickly? I'm certain you've heard a lot of mention already of how you need to get things right in skydiving, because the consequences of mistakes are so dire. Part of your "fear" likely is performance anxiety -- you know you *need* to get it right, and instructors are watching you, so you worry about getting *everything* right. That lingering question may be, "what if I forget _____?"

Again, totally normal. The good news is that the progression is designed so that almost anyone can learn it safely. There is no dishonor in repeating a level. Your instructors are there to help you learn. Relax and enjoy the journey!
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I think around my 50th jump I stopped being scared. I never lost being a little scared. You are jumping out of a plane but it becomes so much fun you lose the fear and enjoy the adrenaline rush. Then you lose the adrenaline rush and the fear and want to be better each jump. Then...

My first 4 AFF jumps were fine, but from jump 5 I started to get anxiety all of a sudden.

I just broke it down into steps.

Drive to DZ. Manifest. Wait. Gear up. Walk to plane. Jump. Debrief. Manifest...

After manifesting, every time I heard a load call I'd be relieved if my name didn't come up but when it did I just stood up and went to the gear up area. It certainly past in time, once I got my own gear really.

You've already done bungy jumping and tandem skydiving. You already know how it feels like to overcome your fear.

Visualize yourself floating on water as you exit the airplane. The feeling you get is similar to that. The hard part is stepping off the airplane and to remain in control. However, anyone can do it if they set their mind to it...

Skydiving is not a sport that you can do halfway. Decide whether you want to do it or not, then follow through.

Thanks for suggestion.

I am struck between two options.
Option 1: Skydive OZ (Near Sydney),Australian A- License costing 2990 AUD with repeat stage at 100 AUD plus consume solo jump.
This is near beach and they only start course on Monday.Accommodation,Food,Tickets..Trip cost around 4000 AUD.(With 1 repeat considered)
Dates: 21 SEP to 28 SEP (8 Days total)
Jumps:9 AFF + 6 Solo
Weather:Summer

Option 2:Pattaya,Bangkok,UPSA AFF Course with 1 repeat included additional repeat at 290 AUD. This is not near beach and they start course on any day. Accommodation,Food,Tickets..Trip cost around 4000 AUD.
Dates:18th to 27th SEP (10 days)
Jumps:8 AFF
Weather:Rainy

I was thinking to target AFF 1st.And I am afraid of water as I am not a good swimmer.

So altogether confused what to choose.

Thanks-Srikanth

srikanth_1980m

Thanks for suggestion.

I am struck between two options.
Option 1: Skydive OZ (Near Sydney),Australian A- License costing 2990 AUD with repeat stage at 100 AUD plus consume solo jump.
This is near beach and they only start course on Monday.Accommodation,Food,Tickets..Trip cost around 4000 AUD.(With 1 repeat considered)
Dates: 21 SEP to 28 SEP (8 Days total)
Jumps:9 AFF + 6 Solo
Weather:Summer

Option 2:Pattaya,Bangkok,UPSA AFF Course with 1 repeat included additional repeat at 290 AUD. This is not near beach and they start course on any day. Accommodation,Food,Tickets..Trip cost around 4000 AUD.
Dates:18th to 27th SEP (10 days)
Jumps:8 AFF
Weather:Rainy

I was thinking to target AFF 1st.And I am afraid of water as I am not a good swimmer.

So altogether confused what to choose.

Thanks-Srikanth

I would think you have enough to worry about (getting it all correct) without worrying about the water. If the water would worry you, it might distract you from full attention to skydiving.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Learning to swim is a lot less expensive, a lot easier, a lot less scary and a lot more likely to save your life than learning to skydive. Since we're teaching you to laugh in the face of fear and you're afraid of it, go learn to swim, THEN go learn to skydive!
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

srikanth_1980m

Learning to Swim properly, doesn't interest me

While Skydive interests me.

Looking at google maps, if the main landing area is where I think it is, it's about 500 m to the river and about 1000 m to the beach.
It's not impossible for a new jumper to land that much off, but because it is something you really don't want to land in I don't think it's an issue.
Generally, if you have a large landing area and a large and good out landing areas students land off because they 'can'.
Tighter landing areas make them more focused.

Generally...

srikanth_1980m

Learning to Swim properly, doesn't interest me

You are missing out big time. Swimming with the fishes and/or turtles in the ocean is like entering a completely different world... Better yet, you can swim for a long time, and it doesn't cost any money! There's also surfing, jet skis, sailboats...

Skydive Oz is a great dropzone and you'll get awesome instruction there.

Make sure you let them know you can't swim well - but all students jump with a floatation device in case they land in the water (the dropzone is massive but shit can happen).

Skydive Oz is about 4-5 hours drive south of Sydney.