NegroKarlezi

Digital Logbooks

It depends. Mostly yes, but it depends on the person reading it. USPA requires signatures to verify jumps, which most digital logs such as altimeters, protracks, etc. can't accommodate. But there are phone apps that offer the feature to sign jumps. But at the end of the day, it's up to whoever you're presenting it to. I've used my phone app for years now and have never had an issue. Any log electronic or written, can be forged.

D
The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

some dropzones absolutely require paper, whether it's a signed digital logbook or not (I like Paralog's system, as it syncs up with their computer software).

There DZ's that will make you fill out a single log sheet so that you can show them a written logbook. :S

There DZ's that will make you fill out a single log sheet so that you can show them a written logbook.

yup! went to a so cal dz with my logbook back in the days that I actually recorded my jump numbers but ever since I got my D license I never get autographs unless its someone famous or infamous. She looked at it and said "sign that last jump"

to which I replied "uhh what?"

then I signed it... :S

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

D22369

***There DZ's that will make you fill out a single log sheet so that you can show them a written logbook.

yup! went to a so cal dz with my logbook back in the days that I actually recorded my jump numbers but ever since I got my D license I never get autographs unless its someone famous or infamous. She looked at it and said "sign that last jump"

Roy[/quote

So, what's the big idea behind this signing stuff?

Blis

There DZ's that will make you fill out a single log sheet so that you can show them a written logbook.

Roy[/quote

I have no idea!!!! but if you have a great app like this one or other, it's really easy to have it always on you, you have it on dropbox your ipad and your phone.

It's really stupid that some DZ requires paper... it's like so old days! and if the ask you to sign YOUR last jump it's like a scene from Dumb and dumber
Stay safe and keep flying

In theory Its supposed to keep a newer jumper from pencil whipping his way to an expert license and/or getting on jumps they are probably not ready for.
But it doesn't keep a determined cheater from doing so.

Roy

http://www.dropzone.com/safety/Gear_and_Equipment/Voyages_of_a_Skydiver_727.html

P-51 logs...named for the pen that signed them, when people faked their logbooks (nah...no one would ever do that.:P:P )

The gentleman whose logbooks I used in this old article has since left us, but I'd imagine his wife and family cherish these incredibly well-written logs. There is something to be said for paper logbooks, particularly if they're as well done as Eike's were.

My early jumps were written down in exact detail, some with drawings but then I got ratings and started doing back to back loads with no time to write down the what/when/who... then at the end of the day I would write the dive down with info on the where and when but nothing else.

then I stopped logging altogether [:/]

kinda wish I hadn't done that now...

Roy