1 1
Rustbucket350

Flare vs Stall

Flare - converting forward movement into lift.

Stall - not enough airflow over the wing to produce lift. 

To put it simply, a stall is what happens at the end of the flare if you hold it long enough. Once the canopy is no longer moving forward you are in a stall. 

Yep, that's the stall recovery arc. Good habit to practice up high as it helps you learn the canopy's performance envelope. Next time, take note of the altitudes you begin and end the recovery. This moves you from feeling what he canopy can do, to knowing exactly what the canopy does. And keep in mind that these performance qualities will change based on the quality of your equipment. I.e. a new line set will flare very differently than an old worn out one. 

(edited)

Be careful with stall practices. Stalling with rear risers happens quickly but recovers for the most part gently. Stalling with toggles takes normally longer, but the recovery can be more problematic and through you in a spin/twists if done asymmetrically. You don't want that close to the ground.

Edited by Deimian

No I definitely do not want that close to the ground.  When I did it it was above 3000.  I'd like to keep it above 2500.  My instructor on that jump was really cool since aff you're supposed to be getting off the radio.  He asked how I felt about the canopy before we got in the plane and I said I feel good.  As long as its got its shape, it's stable, and steerable.  He said good.  I want to let you fly it.  So he gave input over radio to do turns and such.   He said give me a 90 left.  90 left.  More, more, keep doing that right there.  Then he said give me a 90 right.  Hold.  90 more give it more, more, ok come in

55 minutes ago, Rustbucket350 said:

When I did come in it was late and I knew I wasn't going to make a perfect pattern.  What I did was a nice slow 180 from 190 feet (watching my altimeter for the descent rate).  Then landed square in front of him.  Beautiful.  Slid the landing in but that's whatever.

Did you walk away smiling? That's generally a good jump...

Wendy P.

• Like 1