Erroll

Ex-pats have to pass a test to enter UK??

Dear SkyDekker,

I disagree.

While spelling and word meanings are similar, there are subtle differences between North German and South German pronunciations. North German dialects: Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Icelandic all require new mouth muscles. Danish requires a new set of lip muscles. OTOH Really Southern German dialects (e.g. Austrian) are far more musical than formal High German. Dutch requires a specialized set of throat muscles. Some of my Dutch relatives joke about their language being "not so much a dialect as a throat ailment." Hah! Hah!

1 hour ago, riggerrob said:

Dear SkyDekker,

I disagree.

While spelling and word meanings are similar, there are subtle differences between North German and South German pronunciations. North German dialects: Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Swedish and Icelandic all require new mouth muscles. Danish requires a new set of lip muscles. OTOH Really Southern German dialects (e.g. Austrian) are far more musical than formal High German. Dutch requires a specialized set of throat muscles. Some of my Dutch relatives joke about their language being "not so much a dialect as a throat ailment." Hah! Hah!

I speak both Dutch and German, but have to admit I have lost my Swiss-German over the years.

If there is still any doubt as to the veracity of these reports:-

From CNN: 'Insane and discriminatory'

x

11 hours ago, riggerrob said:

While spelling and word meanings are similar, there are subtle differences between North German and South German pronunciations.

All of this is completely irrelevant. 

From the article : Afrikaans is only used by an estimated 12% of the population.

• Like 2