2 2
IanHarrop

Ash dive with a tube

I've done a couple of ash dives with a fabric case on my arm but I just got a request for another ash dive and I am considering using a tube.

My thoughts are that I can put the ashes in the tube and fold the fabric a few times to keep them in there. I should be able to come up with a way to keep the fabric folded until it's time to release them in freefall.

Thoughts?

(edited)

I've done it 3 times that way. The ashes blow up thru the tube very cleanly and keeps them out of the jumpers face and gear. I just used a couple of wide and long rubber bands to hold the package closed with a pull-up cord tied to the rubber bands and tucked under to make a good handle for pulling the rubber bands off. The trick to get it to work well is to spread the ashes out about 2 feet of the length of the tube. That keeps the weight from slumping lower than your hand when you pull the bands offf. I'll post a pic when I get home of the ash dive for my Best Man from a few years ago.

Edited by jimjumper
  • Like 1

(edited)

This is Jerry Girdlers ash dive from a few years ago. The effect from the ground of the ashes is pretty impressive. I think I modified that tube from just the 2 lines to 3 to keep the opening of the tube more horizontal, although once air is in the tube those ashes are gone!

1118240313_AshDive.thumb.jpeg.57c2e36d40b61e751a6eee0ee035d904.jpeg

Edited by jimjumper
  • Like 1

(edited)

Over on www.homebuiltairplanes.com we discussed an even simpler method for spreading ashes from an airplane. Just take a long strip of [canopy] fabric and pore the ashes along the center-line. Fold the edges in lengthwise, then roll up the strip. Once out in freefall, allow the strip to unroll and release the ashes.

Edited by riggerrob
spelling
  • Like 1

(edited)
2 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Over on www.homebuiltairplanes.com we discussed an even simpler method for spreading ashes from an airplane. Just take a long strip of [canopy] fabric and pore the ashes along the center-line. Fold the edges in lengthwise, then roll up the strip. Once out in freefall, allow the strip to unroll and release the ashes.

Thanks Rob! 

It occurs to me that I could modify this slightly and use crepe paper much like we used for WDI. Then I wouldn't even have to worry if it got dropped in freefall and ended up in the canola. Finding and then getting anything out of canola sucks.

Edit to add: As I think about it more, light weight nylon fabric might indeed perform better and should not be a problem to hang on to by cutting a hole in one end to use as a handle. Easy to deploy for releasing the ashes and easy to get rid of if I'm unlucky enough to have a mal on the jump. Always have to consider the worst case.

Edited by IanHarrop

10 minutes ago, IanHarrop said:

Thanks Rob! 

It occurs to me that I could modify this slightly and use crepe paper much like we used for WDI. Then I wouldn't even have to worry if it got dropped in freefall and ended up in the canola. Finding and then getting anything out of canola sucks.

Edit to add: As I think about it more, light weight nylon fabric might indeed perform better and should not be a problem to hang on to by cutting a hole in one end to use as a handle. Easy to deploy for releasing the ashes and easy to get rid of if I'm unlucky enough to have a mal on the jump. Always have to consider the worst case.

Hi Ian,

Since the device will be a crude, 1-time only thing, rather than cutting a hole in it [ maybe difficult to get your hand out, if needed ], just get a small piece of plastic tubing, fold over one end & sew the tubing in.  This gives you something to easily hold yet easy to get rid of, if necessary.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ian,

Since the device will be a crude, 1-time only thing, rather than cutting a hole in it [ maybe difficult to get your hand out, if needed ], just get a small piece of plastic tubing, fold over one end & sew the tubing in.  This gives you something to easily hold yet easy to get rid of, if necessary.

Jerry Baumchen

Thanks! I like this idea