1 1
Marc K

1.36 wingload with 200+ jumps - too aggressive?

Hi There,

My new Vector v310 with an installed Sabre 135 just arrived:halo:.

I currently jump a Safire149 (1.26 wingload) and feel very comfortable flying it (crosswind, downwind etc...).

The question now is if it would be safe for me to jump my new complete system with the installed Sabre 135 ([email protected]) or if I should replace it with my current 149.

I will ask my coach again but just wondered what you guys think if downsizing to a 135 would be too aggressive with my 210 jumps...?

Thanks so much!

Marc:)

Edited by Marc K

How many jumps have you done during the last month?

How many of those landing were gentle stand-ups?

How many of those landings did you need to slide off excess speed?

How many of those landings did you tumble?

What advice did local canopy coaches give?

7 hours ago, Marc K said:

The question now is if it would be safe for me to jump my new complete system with the installed Sabre 135 ([email protected]) or if I should replace it with my current 149.

With your 149 can you:

Flat turn 90 degrees on short final and still land well?
Flare turn at least 45 degrees and still land well?
Land crosswind and in no wind?
Land reliably within a 10-meter circle?
Initiate a high-performance landing with double front risers and front riser turns to landing?
Land on slight uphills and downhills?
Land with rear risers?

If the answer to all of those is "yes" then you are probably ready.  If you can't do those things on your current canopy then 1) you're not getting all the performance out of it yet and 2) you should seriously consider learning them before downsizing.  Many of those are survival skills that you will be too scared to try on your new canopy because it's small and you promised people you'd "be really careful."

• Like 3

Billvon is right, it is about skills and not the numbers. You might have been fine with that wl 50 jumps ago, or you might not be fine for another 200. Btw, is the Sabre in question a 1, 2, or a 3? If it is a 1, I would recommend staying clear of it in favour of some more modern design....

On 5/30/2022 at 9:44 AM, Marc K said:

Hi There,

My new Vector v310 with an installed Sabre 135 just arrived:halo:.

I currently jump a Safire149 (1.26 wingload) and feel very comfortable flying it (crosswind, downwind etc...).

I will ask my coach again but just wondered what you guys think if downsizing to a 135 would be too aggressive with my 210 jumps...?

Thanks so much!

Marc:)

Yes.

• Like 1