PoNic

First Boogie

Hi! Fresh A-License here.
I am thinking about my popping my boogie-cherry at Carolinafest this year. I was wondering: when you go to a boogie, do you usually go to the whole thing, or just a few days? And if you go to the whole thing, would you suggest I do the same?
I'm worried that because of my low jump numbers and my lack of ability to be on many types of jumps, if I would be burned out and out of stuff to do if I went for the whole week?

Also, if you have any boogie advice, please throw it out here. I've read through a lot of the boogie-safety stuff on DZ.com, but if you have anything new, or something that you feel doesn't get the focus it deserves, please let me know!

Thanks!
Powell

First, if you are new to the DZ, go to manifest and do the usual check in routine, i.e. logbook, USPA card, reserve data card, buy jump tickets/money on account, etc. Make sure you tell them you are new and want a full briefing from an instructor at the DZ. Most good DZs will do this automatically, but some won't. Take responsibility to learn about pattern directions, jump run direction, landing hazards, check out an aeriel picture, etc. Use google maps to recon the area too if you are so inclined.

Next find the LOs (load organizers) and tell them your experience level and what you are comfortable doing. Start with simpler jumps you won't be stressed out over so you won't be anxious after your first break off and deployment.

Now go have fun. Resist the peer-pressure of doing big zoo dives with lots of low jump # people. Have fun but if you have to ask yourself if something is a good idea, it probably isn't.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Don't forget to stay hydrated and fed, it's easy to forget to drink and eat something through out the day while having fun.

And while it's fun to share drinks and stories with your new friends, take it easy on the booze. Jumping hung over because you're at a boogie and want to make lots of jumps is unsafe for you and the others on the jump.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

Just be careful. Boogies are very busy (especially ones like Carolinafest) and have people who are unfamiliar with the DZ, landing patterns, etc. Not everyone will do the homework suggested here and will create hazards. The #1 thing that still makes me nervous in skydiving is other people. When I go to boogies/other DZs for the first time I give people plenty of room. Sometimes this means opening higher to stay out of traffic. I try to make sure I don't put myself in a position to get hit by another canopy in the pattern.

And of course have fun. Boogies are awesome! And I hear great things about Carolinafest.

GAjumper84

Sometimes this means opening higher to stay out of traffic. I try to make sure I don't put myself in a position to get hit by another canopy in the pattern.

Careful about opening higher. It is common for DZs to have maximum pull heights because there can be multiple planes running at busy events. Opening high could put you under canopy with a different jump run dropping right on top of you.

Get a good briefing and follow the rules. If you are uncomfortable pulling below the designated altitude, consider not jumping when they run multiple planes.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

I always like to get there before it starts and start jumping before it gets really busy.

On any new field, I walk out onto it before I make any jumps. What looks flat, often is not flat. Note any less than ideal places that you might want to avoid. It is good just to walk around and get the feel of the area before you come in for your first landing there.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”