1 1
sfzombie13

i have a solution to mass shootings

or at least a plan to help.  i wrote an article about it here, but the tl;dr is how we can combine sensible gun legislation along with mental health concerns to address two different links in the chain.  we could also use church groups to attack another link in the chain, and i am working on that in a juvenile detention center to help on that front.  after all these decades we definitely know what DOESN'T work.  time to try something different.  thoughts?

What does work in Canada are firearms safety courses and mental health reviews before you can earn a firearms Possession and Acquisition License.

I couple of years ago I wanted to renew my PAL, so re-took the FSC and re-applied for my PAL via the RCMP. Since all aspects of Canadian gov't slowed down during COVID, I was not surprised that it took more than 6 months, but after a year I started asking questions. When I eventually got a human on the telephone, the asked me a few questions about my mental health like "Have you contemplated killing anyone?" I also re-assured the RCMP that I had recently discussed with my doctor quitting the psychiatric medications that I was taking for PTSD. My new card arrived in the mail a month later.

As an aside, Transport Canada refused to renew my pilot medical because of those psychiatric medications. I was on the meds because of PTSD. My PTSD was not so much caused by an airplane crash, rather it was caused by a law suit that dragged out for 9 years after the crash.

On 5/29/2022 at 7:46 PM, sfzombie13 said:

or at least a plan to help.  i wrote an article about it here, but the tl;dr is how we can combine sensible gun legislation along with mental health concerns to address two different links in the chain.  we could also use church groups to attack another link in the chain, and i am working on that in a juvenile detention center to help on that front.  after all these decades we definitely know what DOESN'T work.  time to try something different.  thoughts?

OH BOY, I HAVE SOLUTIONS. The penal system as we currently know CLEARLY doesn't send the right message or thwart people in ANYWAY to act civil.  Why is this? To me it's all so very clear. The invested parties who maintain these penal colonies make money from such, PERIOD. So who's vested here? RIGHT, fucking politicians. The string pullers... 

My hard line solution will not be nice, in fact, the harder we make it on these criminals the better... At some point "we" got soft and gave these people "rights". SO, stop being nice to bad people. Waive there rights and send a clear message.   

13 minutes ago, timski said:

At some point "we" got soft and gave these people "rights". SO, stop being nice to bad people. Waive there rights and send a clear message.

I beileve that point was at the writing of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Wendy P.

Just now, wmw999 said:

I beileve that point was at the writing of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

Wendy P.

Come on Wendy, what happened to criminals from THAT time period??? We're looking for the fix...And where did it break down...?

It broke down with the increase in population and the reducing of empty land to exile people to. It broke down with the reducing of class structure (we no longer expect people to "know their place," because we now understand that it goes against the very concept of "all men are created equal.").

That doesn't mean it can't be fixed, but just telling the minorities to fix their problems before we address ours is bullshit. It's like an abusive husband expecting perfection from his wife before he changes a single thing -- and, as the judge, he can always find a fault to pick.

No, we (by that I mean white Americans) are not an abusive husband -- but we do kind of expect our voices to be listened to, and if there's disagreement, we kind of assume that our telling of the story will be taken as the real one, simply because the people who have even more power look like us, and were raised in families like ours.

We weren't raised wrong, just incompletely. Because when we were kids, many more people did, in fact, "know their place." And that place wasn't close to us.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, timski said:

Come on Wendy, what happened to criminals from THAT time period??? We're looking for the fix...And where did it break down...?

Man, you have the harshest penal system and by far the largest proportion of incarcerated people in any western nation, and you also have the worst mass shooting problem. Clearly ‘stop being soft on criminals’ is not the solution.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, timski said:

My hard line solution will not be nice, in fact, the harder we make it on these criminals the better... At some point "we" got soft and gave these people "rights". SO, stop being nice to bad people. Waive there rights and send a clear message.   

I actually had this very same conversation last night.
It was in regards to a murder that happened less than 1/2 mile from my current house (happened before I lived here, but I lived about a mile away at the time it happened).
The killer was caught with the murder weapon (knife) in his truck. Both he & the knife were covered in the victim's blood. There was an eyewitness (a neighbor heard the victim screaming, responded and was almost run over by the killer).

The killer tried very hard (but very stupidly) to claim he was framed.

He used every legal avenue, and has had multiple appeals. Still in prison for life (no parole). 

The person I was arguing with felt he should not have had those legal opportunities (rights). That 'criminals shouldn't have more rights than victims'.

My point is that those rights aren't for criminals. 

They are for the ACCUSED.

Who may or may not be actual 'criminals.'

And if you don't believe that, look at what the Innocence Project did in Illinois.

More convicted criminals on death row were exonerated than were executed.
That's why the governor suspended executions in 2000.

4 hours ago, timski said:

Nothing broke down nor will anything much change. We're simply not the inherently nice, collaborative species we pretend to be. 

6 hours ago, timski said:

OH BOY, I HAVE SOLUTIONS. The penal system as we currently know CLEARLY doesn't send the right message or thwart people in ANYWAY to act civil.  Why is this? To me it's all so very clear. The invested parties who maintain these penal colonies make money from such, PERIOD. So who's vested here? RIGHT, fucking politicians. The string pullers... 

i'm interested to see why you disagree with what i wrote. 

7 hours ago, timski said:

How is this clear to you? Honestly, the logic is bizarre. You're absolutely right that invested parties make tons of money from the penal system and use it to lobby the political system... but you think this creates a softer system for incercerated criminals? That's crazy.

The prison industry makes money per inmate, so it wants more inmates, so it lobbies for stricter sentencing. The prison industry wants to generate greater profit per inmate, so it minimises investment in infrastructure and staffing, so prisons are overcrowded and understaffed. This makes them violent and dangerous places to be, with fewer and fewer 'luxuries' and education / assistance programs for inmates.

None of these vested financial interests in the penal system in any way create an easy life for criminals. The real effect is the exact opposite.

7 hours ago, timski said:

They were tried by a court of law by a jury of their peers, and if found guilty, were sentenced to a punishment that was neither cruel nor unusual.

The Constitution did not suddenly change the US.  It largely codified practices that the new country already had in place.

1 hour ago, billvon said:

They were tried by a court of law by a jury of their peers, and if found guilty, were sentenced to a punishment that was neither cruel nor unusual.

The Constitution did not suddenly change the US.  It largely codified practices that the new country already had in place.

With obvious exceptions due to the organization of the legislature and executive, the Constitution and Bill of Rights clearly have an evolutionary relationship with the English BofR of 1689.. English history IS American history.

9 hours ago, lippy said:

Are you a credentialed historian? :p

The breath of knowledge of John and Billvon is surprising. Although Billvon doesn't have the credentials that John has. The absence of huge releases of steam associated with the toot-toot. Vis-a-vis when Billvon posts is somewhat refreshing.

On 6/5/2022 at 12:13 PM, sfzombie13 said:

has anyone bothered to follow the link to the solutions i have posted?  if not and it was because of linkedin, here they are on my blog called thoughts on security. 

Well written.

I was one of those kids who was relentlessly bullied and contemplated carrying a gun to school. Part of the reason that I contemplated that desperate measure was that no adult listened seriously to my complaints about bullying. A more likely response was a spanking. I never understood how a spanking was supposed to reduce the number of problems facing me???????? So I suffered in silence.

Perhaps all the bleeding school children will motivate Americans to introduce universal mental health services ... federally-subsidized.

It is doubly important that gov't funding for mental health is blind to patients' incomes. Maybe they even need to "push" mental health services to lower-income brackets, minorities, children-of-single-mothers, immigrants, etc. to ensure that it reaches those most in need the earliest.

Once federally-subsidized mental health care has gotten a-foot-in-the-door, perhaps the second round of funding can address physical health problems and chronic pain issues that drive some (un-treated) patients to self-medicate with street drugs. Gov't attitudes need to change to the notion that knee surgery this week can prevent a dozen other problems later in life.

If a person is physically healthy, they are more likely to be mentally healthy and they are more likely to seek gainful employment.