Deisel

Top Gun: Maverick

Just saw it. Mind. Blown. If you are an aviation enthusiast, and all of you on this site are, you have to see this movie. This might be the best action ever put on film. Holy shit. I don't want to give out any spoilers, but the flight scenes in this film have never been seen before. And the actors are actually flying the planes! I have so many questions about the physics of what I just saw. I watched it with a bunch of my USMC active duty pilot buddies, and they were just as blown away as I was. And if you're a fan of the original, there are a slew of very well done homages to the source materiel. Everything from Maverick's Kawasaki to the beach volleyball scene. Val Kilmer's Iceman is superb. Well done Tom Cruise. I think I just developed a man crush... GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!

D

• Like 1

Agreed! Some of the best flying footage every published by Hollywood. Most of the F-18 footage is real. Back when Top Gun 1 debuted, I was wrenching on CF-18s at CFB Baden-Sollingen, West Germany.

The only CGI seems to be the Sukhoi 57s and the F-14 Tomcat. Mind you, Sukhoi 57s are so new and so few that not even the Russian Air Force is flying them in Ukraine. ... and I doubt if the Iranian Air Force rents out their few flying F-14s for filming.

• Like 1

Watched it on Thursday here in the UK and although I'm not a pilot, so can't really relate to the flying scenes, I thought it was brilliant - even got a lump in my throat at times which is unusual for me. I watched the original a few days earlier just to get me up to speed. A few years ago while I was at Elsinore I drove down to Oceanside? and saw - what I was told was...- the house that was used for the romantic scenes in the original. The whole area had been cleared and just this house (painted blue at the time) was there. Maybe it still is there? Also drove to Miramar which by then was USMC - wow, writing this now I didn't think I was such a geek.... as an aside the DZ I jump at in the UK has a pop-up windtunnel on it which was used for the recent Mission Impossible movie/s and a couple of weeks ago stunt men were doing jumps from a helicopter at the DZ where they set a canopy on fire - don't ask me how - and then cut it away. I guess it will all come out in the wash and cgi will have it shown in Eastern Europe...   

the house from the original movie has been refurbished and is sitting in the courtyard of a "resort" hotel.

I think they sell ice cream and cookies out of it.

Yes, the movie is very good, I've seen it twice.

"And the actors are actually flying the planes!"

mmmmm cough cough, the actors are flying IN the planes (back seat), though the lead actor may have some actual flying scenes.