3 3
Phil1111

Mental Health, Guns, Mental Health

There is a quote function that’s very handy when you’re quoting someone, or responding to a specific point.

As far as statistics go, any individual gun is not that likely to be stolen, or used for evil. But the more guns there are, and the more people, the larger the number of targets of opportunity.

I’ve lived overseas (Brazil), traveled overseas alone, and worked in less desirable parts of town. I’ve never needed a gun for self defense. Maybe not having a gun made me be more careful, but being a woman, it’s always my fault if I’m attacked in the first place, so it’s better to avoid it.

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

There are lots of responsible gun owners in the US and Alex is likely one of them.

11 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

The administrators are well aware of this thread I have broken no rules or attacked anyone 

6 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

Unless following your instructions are some rules?? Is that the case Joe?? You want to give me instructions???

5 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

Is this a personal matter or you just don’t like what I have to say??

Or,... in retrospect,.... I've been wrong before.

3 hours ago, porpoishead said:

What stopped the massacre?? An armed person correct??

Nothing....
  The gunman was confronted by school police and exchanged fire before entering the school.  The gunman went inside and killed 21 people so far. The school police were shot and unable to stop the massacre.

6 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

Is this a personal matter or you just don’t like what I have to say??

I have no idea who you’re addressing this to. The quote function is not a requirement, just as good grammar and spelling aren’t (yours are just fine). But all of them are a huge help in comprehension, and show that you consider the people you’re speaking to to be worth making an effort for. Which is reflected in the amount of thought vs noise in the posts, usually

I get that this is difficult, and in very contradictory ways, what with your knowing Billy, thinking (as far as I can tell) any breathing person without a severe mental problem or felony conviction should be able to buy guns, and the incontrovertible evidence that it wasn’t a good decision for Billy.

Wendy P. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

I have no idea who you’re addressing this to. The quote function is not a requirement, just as good grammar and spelling aren’t (yours are just fine). But all of them are a huge help in comprehension, and show that you consider the people you’re speaking to to be worth making an effort for. Which is reflected in the amount of thought vs noise in the posts, usually

I get that this is difficult, and in very contradictory ways, what with your knowing Billy, thinking (as far as I can tell) any breathing person without a severe mental problem or felony conviction should be able to buy guns, and the incontrovertible evidence that it wasn’t a good decision for Billy.

Wendy P. 

Wendy, I was addressing joe Weber I believe he warned me that administrators had a solution for who knows what. Everyone here that knows me knows that I am a very respectful and loving person I will not attack anyone regardless if I agree or disagree with the comments.

in Billy’s case it did indeed turn out to be a monumental mistake to own firearms, however I do not believe that the firearm did anything more than facilitate what he intended to carry out.

3 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

I do not believe that the firearm did anything more than facilitate what he intended to carry out.

They never do. But sometimes making something easier makes it more likely to happen. I don’t keep candy or cookies in the cupboard at home. My husband has complete self-control, but I’d be too likely to eat them if it’s easy. If I have to work for it, it just doesn’t happen as much. Maybe that’s true of guns, at least for some people. Having one makes some things easier than not having them, and far less messy or personally dangerous than using a knife or baseball bat.

BTW, At the bottom of every post is the word “Quote;” clicking on that will quote and attribute the post. I know it’s available on the phone because it’s what I’m using right now, and I have it.

Wendy P. 

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

BTW, At the bottom of every post is the word “Quote;” clicking on that will quote and attribute the post. I know it’s available on the phone because it’s what I’m using right now, and I have it.

Wendy P. 

Yes I see it, thank you

(edited)
1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

BIGUN is the only pro-gun advocate that ever suggested compromises in ownership laws.

Phil,

I was apparently imprecise on the topic. To be clear, I am a strong advocate of gun ownership laws. I also am an advocate of home defense to where I've explained my choice of weapon and why on these pages. I think AR "platform" guns are useless for both hunting and self defense and should be controlled or banned. Same with high capacity magazines. Further, I think one of the dumbest things we have ever done in America, against stiff competition mind you, is outfitting our patrol police to look like special forces. I could go on but please do add me to the list of those who want gun ownership to be available but are ready to accept regulation.

Edited by JoeWeber
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, porpoishead said:

Phil I for one am open to the discussion. 

There’s  millions of people that are armed or travel with an armed detail for a bunch of different threats.

Somehow in the indiscriminate attack on some inanimate object with a bunch of bullshit statistics to go along I’m told I’m the problem, that it is my attitude that is the problem.

these guys don’t live in my world they don’t do what I do so it’s foolish to try and tell me if I should or should not be armed or what I should be armed with.

Hi Alex,

Re:  I for one am open to the discussion. 

Re:   it’s foolish to try and tell me if I should or should not be armed

Sorry, but I don't buy it.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Phil,

I was apparently imprecise on the topic. To be clear, I am a strong advocate of gun ownership laws. I also am an advocate of home defense to where I've explained my choice of weapon and why on these pages. I think AR "platform" guns are useless for both hunting and self defense and should be controlled or banned. Same with high capacity magazines. Further, I think one of the dumbest things we have ever done in America, against stiff competition mind you, is outfitting our patrol police to look like special forces. I could go on but please do add me to the list of those who want gun ownership to be available but are ready to accept regulation.

Joe I hunt with AR platform rifles and several other autos they are useful when engaging multiple targets and in low light conditions from having to manipulate ammo or manually cycle other types of rifles

14 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Phil,

Hi Joe,

I heard that you are back here in Oregon at this time.  Here is your opportunity to support this.

Lift Every Voice Oregon - Reduce Gun Violence

My two petitions went in the mail the other day.

Jerry Baumchen

2 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

Joe what capacity do you believe to be sufficient and for what scenario? 

to say high capacity magazines should be banned is a vague statement. What do you consider high capacity?

Hi Alex,

I cannot and will not speak for Joe Weber.  The petition effort I listed in my post to him has a 10-round limitation.  

Jerry Baumchen

10 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

Joe I hunt with AR platform rifles and several other autos they are useful when engaging multiple targets and in low light conditions from having to manipulate ammo or manually cycle other types of rifles

Gotta be able to get as many rounds as possible into a target that you can't see well eh?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

I heard that you are back here in Oregon at this time.  Here is your opportunity to support this.

Lift Every Voice Oregon - Reduce Gun Violence

My two petitions went in the mail the other day.

Jerry Baumchen

Will do. I was thinking today that maybe we accept that the gun nuts have won the battle over AR's, big magazines, etc... Instead let's focus only on taxes. Maybe $100 on every new gun sold. Maybe automatics more and single shots less. Something per round of ammo sold and a $25 buck per year per gun registration fee. All of that money to be used to put armed guards, metal detectors etc.. at every school in America. If that's not enough money, up the tariffs. I support that and would pay it gladly.

3 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Alex,

I cannot and will not speak for Joe Weber.  The petition effort I listed in my post to him has a 10-round limitation.  

Jerry Baumchen

I read the summary on that site Jerry, I’m not down with none of that sorry. If government and LEO’s can carry high capacity then I’m carrying high capacity too simple as that. Whatever you believe that they should be able to carry to protect and defend then that’s the same thing im carrying.

2 hours ago, porpoishead said:

You can “pretend” that there is no evil lurking around any corner, me I live in reality and I am prepared to defend myself and any other innocents from somebody having a bad day

Following your logic, the citizens of every other G20 nation are far less evil than Americans, because they all have a far lower rate of gun ownership AND a far lower rate of gun deaths.  The USA is the outlier in both areas.

6 minutes ago, lippy said:

Gotta be able to get as many rounds as possible into a target that you can't see well eh?

I have instruments to be able to see in the dark, have to have enough rounds to engage multiple targets and not have to manipulate a rifle to manually cycle it for safety reasons 

3 minutes ago, kallend said:

Following your logic, the citizens of every other G20 nation are far less evil than Americans, because they all have a far lower rate of gun ownership AND a far lower rate of gun deaths.  The USA is the outlier in both areas.

Unfortunately I don’t live in those countries when I travel abroad I usually have a security detail. I live in America and I defend myself accordingly to my surroundings

(edited)
12 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

Unfortunately I don’t live in those countries when I travel abroad I usually have a security detail. I live in America and I defend myself accordingly to my surroundings

Hi Alex,

So, tell me about the last time you had to defend yourself in this country.

Jerry Baumchen

Edited by JerryBaumchen