3 3
Phil1111

Mental Health, Guns, Mental Health

6 minutes ago, olofscience said:

No, but you need a license to jump. You need a license to drive. It's insane that you don't for owning a gun.

And most DZ's want you to have USPA or similar membership so you have insurance in place should that be needed when your skydiving activities cause damage or death to other people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skybytch said:

In suburbia, sure. But we don't live in suburbia.

You are MORE at risk in suburbia.  The most dangerous animal you will ever face is another human.   8 people in the US every year are killed by animal attacks and 47,000 are injured.  21,000 people are murdered in the US every year by other people, and 921,000 are victims of aggravated and sexual assaults.  It is worth noting that 80% of those murders are from gun violence.

Since you live in a more rural area without neighbors, you face even less risk of a threat you can stop with a gun.

Our cell phones don't work when we're in the upper clearing. 

And I grew up in a house in the woods where cell phones never worked at all (since no one had any.)  We even had a fair number of wild, feral and escaped farm animals wander around our house.  Two became pets.  A few were problems.  A gun would have helped with none of them.

One person's definition of need can be very different from another's.

Absolutely.  And in the example above, I gave an example of someone who felt they needed to skydive and carry their rig on airplanes to be safe.  IMO they are incorrect.  The underlying sentiment is that they WANTED to carry their rig on, which is fine. (Provided the pilot is OK with it of course.)

24,000 americans kill themselves every year with a gun. 500 of those are people who accidentally kill themselves.  Compare that number of deaths caused by owning a gun - 24,000 - to the number caused by wild animal attacks - 8 - that MIGHT have been prevented by a gun.

If you want guns for whatever reason - it makes you feel safer, you like guns, you think owning guns is an important political statement, you like shooting - then by all means do it.  Just don't fool yourself that they are making you safer, or that you need them.  They are a risk to your life, a risk you decided to take.

Should skydiving be banned because it's risky?

I just said it should not be.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jakee said:

Jerry my man, you don't have to read very far into that article to find this.

"Smith, notoriously unstable and prone to violent acts in fits of rage, slit Herb Clutter's throat and then shot him in the head. Capote writes that Smith recounted later, "I didn't want to harm the man. I thought he was a very nice gentleman. Soft-spoken. I thought so right up to the moment I cut his throat." Kenyon, Nancy, and then Mrs. Clutter were also murdered, each by a single shotgun blast to the head."

Hi jakee,

Having read the book twice, I think that the Wiki link in incorrect.

While I do not have a perfect memory, I think that in the book Capote writes that Smith killed the mother, daughter & son with a knife.

I could be wrong.

Jerry Baumchen

Just now, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi jakee,

Having read the book twice, I think that the Wiki link in incorrect.

While I do not have a perfect memory, I think that in the book Capote writes that Smith killed the mother, daughter & son with a knife.

I could be wrong.

Jerry Baumchen

Capote’s version of the story was not straight forward reporting. There was some dramatic license taken.

3 hours ago, kallend said:

Gun violence has killed more Americans in the past 50 years than were killed in all wars combined since the country was founded.

We do not have a bigger mental health problem than other G20 nations.  We have a bigger gun problem.

Hi John,

IMO if people cannot understand & accept this, then there is no way to discuss this with them.

Jerry Baumchen

48 minutes ago, olofscience said:

No, but you need a license to jump. You need a license to drive. It's insane that you don't for owning a gun.

I agree 100%. A federally issued license that requires background checks and training prior to issuance and renewal.

• Like 1

Hi folks,

IMO the only answer to prevent these mass shootings * is to have a Constitutional Convention and replace/remove the 2nd Amendment.

The majority population of this country will not, at this time, support such action.

Jerry Baumchen

* And, to give total authority to Roe v Wade.

36 minutes ago, billvon said:

A gun would have helped with none of them.

A gun helped tremendously with the rabid skunk in our driveway that I had to kill when I was 18. We didn't have cell phones back then either.

We have skunks and mountain lions cruising through our property all the time. We've seen them. The dog regularly gets skunked; we're pretty sure a mountain lion got two of the chickens. Never seen a bear, but a gun isn't going to do me much good against a bear anyway.

It's not always about the human's life. My son is a cattle rancher. Without a gun, it would be impossible for him to put a severely injured animal out of it's misery when he's way back on the ranch, or to kill the coyotes that are often the cause of those injuries.

I accept that you have no need for a gun and that many other people have no need for one. Can you accept that many people like me DO have a need for one? 

Is there a place in the whole gun debate for someone who owns and needs a gun yet also supports nationwide background checks, registration, training and licensing and even a ban on assault weapons?  Or is either ban guns or be a rabid gun nut? I wonder sometimes...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Their children live in gated communities. Psychologists expenses covered by expensive private health plans. They have guns but they are mostly used for hunting pheasants on private game preserves in Nebraska.

Any other ideas?

Actually, private health plans don't cover much at all.  Reimbursements are higher through medi-care/medi-caid plans. 

29 minutes ago, DFWAJG said:

You are blind to my avatar? 

You're wearing a fullface helmet and sunglasses. Is he supposed to be able to tell you have a feminine nose in a picture that's an inch wide?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DFWAJG said:

You are blind to my avatar? 

Do you mean your avatar that is a picture of you skydiving with a full face and sunglasses? I have seen pictures of people wearing a hijab that has more identifiable skin exposed. :p

It isn't as if you have an profile image of you wearing everyday clothes, or beach attire.

Good afternoon folks billy was my friend and I talked to billy everyday all day for the past 15yrs about anything and everything up to and including incidents similar to this.

There was zero indication that billy was capable of doing what he did with that said he could have done what he did with a pair of scissors a hammer a glass ash tray or any other stupid shit 

Billy was late to guns he always spoke of a garand or a mini 14 or some rifle he had as a youth other than that he wasn’t a gun guy by any definition. I have brought billy hunting to a property down river here in New Orleans that I was actively managing for feral hogs and armed billy with a .308w rifle with a 25rd magazine locked and loaded for the excursion if there was any doubt in my mind that billy was unstable mentally in any way if for nothing else than self preservation billy would not have been there and at times had my back to him. We ended up with a deer out of that hunt Billy was excited about the hunt and subsequently became interested in firearms.

I have no desire whatsoever to get into a gun debate on here I treat firearms as tools and you need the proper tools for the task at hand for best results. To say that an automatic firearm has no purpose I would respectfully disagree. I use automatics for different types of game management because they are appropriate for certain situations.

I carry for self defense and I carry an automatic pistol because of the high capacity if you are ever in a defensive situation where your life or somebody else’s life is on the line then the amount of rounds you need to stop the threat will vary depending on the threat. I lost my father to a gunfight that he would have won had he grabbed his pistol that morning and not a revolver he didn’t have enough capacity to stop the threat and he died as a result.

there is absolutely no chance of me ever hurting innocent people and girls no matter what it’ll never happen I use firearms for all legal purposes for shooting sports hunting and defense and there is no single firearm that fits the bill for all of the different things I use them for.

as far as mental health billy was a straight up comedy show to all that knew that deaf fucker he could stir the pot better than the best and could piss off the damn pope given the opportunity he had a lot of shit with him but he wasn’t a mental health issue until he he was because he used a firearm in the midst of that crisis doesn’t mean much considering he could have used anything to do what he did 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

there is absolutely no chance of me ever hurting innocent people and girls no matter what it’ll never happen I use firearms for all legal purposes for shooting sports hunting and defense and there is no single firearm that fits the bill for all of the different things I use them for.

Typical denier mentality.  Countless others have claimed the same thing and been proven wrong.  Over 300,000 "law abiding gun owners" have a gun stolen every year according to FBI data - in each case a criminal now has a gun that they shouldn't have, with which to harm others.

People with your attitude ARE the problem.

• Like 1