3 3
Phil1111

Mental Health, Guns, Mental Health

3 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Moreover, I stand by my point that believing you need to buy one or two AR-15's and a crate of ammo, and a dozen high capacity mags and walk out the door with your new arsenal, should be seen, as a default condition, as evidence of mental instability. If you can prove otherwise then come back in two weeks after your successful psychological exam and pick up your guns. Why? Well, because just like your pit bull that never bit anyone before some things simply can not be trusted based on biased assertion.

Hard to argue

36 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Well at least the US is not number one anymore. Latest estimates have 30,000 Russians killed in the war so far this year. While the NRA/GOP in their war against civilians is only about 18,200

Good thing the GOP hasn't allowed the sale of M777s yet.

Yep, couple of Oregon boy's exercised their second amendment rights, and their right to choose, by atomizing themselves in a WWII armored vehicle. All for the low, low price of $200 for a stamp. The system is working.

(edited)
On 5/29/2022 at 6:05 PM, JoeWeber said:

Somehow school dress codes and uniforms don't interfere with learning elsewhere. It's a guess but I'd guess where all kids are dressed the same at school there is less social bullying.

I very much doubt it. I was bullied relentessly as a kid. 

Anyway, I went on to do some volunteer's work with kids for 28 years.

In my experience bullies will always find a new stick to hit with.

The accent you speak with, your skin colour, hair colour, gadgets, whether or not you have hit puberty yet, which sports you (don't) play, which team you support, what your mum packed you for lunch, being the teacher's pet, not liking what your bully likes - or liking what your bully likes, not being as good at X as your bully - or being better at X as your bully .....just to name a few.

Edited by Baksteen

On 5/29/2022 at 12:05 PM, JoeWeber said:

Somehow school dress codes and uniforms don't interfere with learning elsewhere. It's a guess but I'd guess where all kids are dressed the same at school there is less social bullying.

Having attended schools both with and without, I preferred without.

Wendy P. 

Though I think there are better ways to deal with the misuse of firearms than to subject everyone to constraints befitting the lowest common denominator, I would very much like to know what medications were being taken by the people behind the most recent rash of wanton violence (to include BIlly).

The proliferation of SSRIs is such that the occasional tendency toward batshit crazy violence has become comparatively commonplace.  When there is reference to "mental health" issues and "financial" problems, it strikes me that someone being prescribed any one of a variety common meds, if faced with financial ruin from bad investments or what have you, might be a candidate for making some REALLY BAD DECISIONS.

Giving troubled young men (usually ~17 - 22 yo, Billy was an outlier) meds to suppress problematic behavior may make sense in the short term, but doing so long term does not turn out so well.  Something like 90% of mass murderers including and after Columbine were taking prescription mental health meds.  I know correlation does not imply causation, but taking a moment to stop perseverating on scary looking firearms and figure out quite what would possess someone to engage in simply evil behavior might be useful.

Beware of overly simplistic solutions.

BSBD,

Winsor

There’s meds, therapy, punishment, exile, and doing nothing. We’ve pretty much run out of room for true exile, punishment hasn’t been great (that whole recidivism thing), and meds are cheaper than therapy.

They exist. Are you proposing the “nothing” approach? Or just a study to see what drugs they have in common. I’d bet that alcohol is high on many lists of troubled people  

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, winsor said:

Though I think there are better ways to deal with the misuse of firearms than to subject everyone to constraints befitting the lowest common denominator, I would very much like to know what medications were being taken by the people behind the most recent rash of wanton violence (to include BIlly).

The proliferation of SSRIs is such that the occasional tendency toward batshit crazy violence has become comparatively commonplace.  When there is reference to "mental health" issues and "financial" problems, it strikes me that someone being prescribed any one of a variety common meds, if faced with financial ruin from bad investments or what have you, might be a candidate for making some REALLY BAD DECISIONS.

Giving troubled young men (usually ~17 - 22 yo, Billy was an outlier) meds to suppress problematic behavior may make sense in the short term, but doing so long term does not turn out so well.  Something like 90% of mass murderers including and after Columbine were taking prescription mental health meds.  I know correlation does not imply causation, but taking a moment to stop perseverating on scary looking firearms and figure out quite what would possess someone to engage in simply evil behavior might be useful.

Beware of overly simplistic solutions.

BSBD,

Winsor

Scientology and AmmoLand can't be viewed as reliable sources for scientific information.

I was not gonna come on and comment. I don’t skydive anymore and my life is pretty drama free now that I’m not a post whore, however, since I’m here about Brandys death heres my opinion on my FORMER friend Billy. 

1. In the end he became exactly like the people he was against. 

2. Previous good deeds are invalid. He is not the person we all thought he was. 

3. I held those babies be shot and murdered.  
the babies he supposedly love more then anything. 

4. I believe in a persons right to die once over 18, but murdering kids? Horrific. 

I’ve yet to cry for him. I’m still in the disbelief phase.  

Dear Baksteen,

Bullies eat their weakest man.

When they can no longer advance by their own merits, bullies shift to belittling people around them.

"Eat Your Weakest Man" is the title of a book by Rui Amera (sp?) about the last days of the Canadian Airborne Regiment. ... shows you how well that strategy worked in the long run ...

(edited)

Hi folks,

This survey is looking good for here:  Oregon voters appear poised to support new gun control regulations: The Oregonian/OregonLive poll - oregonlive.com

However, IMO it is merely the first step in a long journey.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  From the article:  Among voters with a college degree or higher, pollsters found 63% of respondents planned to vote yes compared with 40% of respondents with a high school diploma or less.

Trump did say something about this, I think.  ;P

Edited by JerryBaumchen
  • Like 2