3 3
Phil1111

Mental Health, Guns, Mental Health

1 minute ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Alex,

That is your opinion.  I'm OK with that.

Also, I thought you said that you were leaving.  Now, I'm not asking you to leave; just wondering why you are still here.

Jerry Baumchen

Apparently defending myself at this point jerry

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Yes I get it, and I'm pretty sure we all do. You are a gun rights absolutist and no number of innocent victims will change your mind. A real "from my dead cold hands"type.  A perfect example of the problem. What I don't get is why you feel the need to make dozens of short posts to let us all know. Most likely events like the ones occurring make you feel threatened. Billy's attitude was a lot like yours, and I'm certain he would have stood up and claimed that he would never misuse a weapon. And like you he probably believed it.

Hi Ken,

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

Jerry Baumchen 

2 hours ago, porpoishead said:

Billy was a murderer he’s dead now, what he did is inexcusable and unacceptable.

the rest of your accusations are equally unacceptable and reprehensible.

In my opinion, if you are going to tell someone that they are sickening and  an enabler of murdering children then you should call that person out by name that way there are no misunderstandings.

Spare us the whining.

Your attitude is exactly the same as BV's was 2 weeks ago.

That attitude is exactly what enables the USA to have a gun murder rate so much higher than every other wealthy nation.

That attitude is why southern states with lax gun laws have gun murder rates higher than states with strict gun laws.

You are the problem.

gdpct.jpg

2 minutes ago, kallend said:

Spare us the whining.

Your attitude is exactly the same as BV's was 2 weeks ago.

That attitude is exactly what enables the USA to have a gun murder rate so much higher than every other wealthy nation.

That attitude is why southern states with lax gun laws have gun murder rates higher than states with strict gun laws.

You are the problem.

gdpct.jpg

John it is my opinion that you and billy and others like the both of you are the problem.

Just now, porpoishead said:

You know damn well that I knew billy personally, and I’m positive that you read my very first post to this thread.

Actually no. I have been busy and there have been a lot of posts in this thread. I have skimmed many of them. It must be even harder for you to have known Billy and probably his family as well. It explains some of the anger you seem to have. If you think that you are immune to being overcome by bad emotions while you happen to have a weapon in your hand then you lack a basic understanding of human thinking. It is unlikely that you will one day harm someone or yourself, but far from impossible.

21 hours ago, porpoishead said:

"Surely rob you know I know the difference without me listing my qualifications with firearms. By automatic I surely meant SA and not FA and I own  NFA weapons.

thanks for clearing that up. ... "

You and I may understand the difference between (non-restricted) semi-automatic firearms and (prohibited) fully-automatic weapons, but the general public do not.

Instead, the public panics and runs around "like chickens with their heads cut off" screaming and fully-semi-automatic assault style weapons" or some other vague foolishness.

I prefer to keep terminology at a level that the public and "nerdy, narrow-minded, anal-retentive, control-freak" technicians can understand. I may be a "nerdy, narrow-minded, anal-retentive, control-freak technician" but I have also published a few technical manuals and graduated from journalism college, which makes me want to use the precise terminology. I am currently reading Professor John McWhorter's book "Words on the Move" to try an understand how word meanings change over time.

(edited)
4 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

John it is my opinion that you and billy and others like the both of you are the problem.

Hi Alex,

IMO it is OK if we agree to disagree.

However, when it comes to stopping this carnage, I think that people that think like you are the are the problem.

Jerry Baumchen

PS)  Sorry for the formatting.

Edited by JerryBaumchen

1 hour ago, porpoishead said:

billy and his entire family vote for democrats, I’ve not once not ever in my entire life have voted for a democrat and likely never will.

Wrong.

If I remember correctly, last time Billy was here he was banned for making very crude posts against members of the democratic party. I saw what he posted. He was very much GOP.

When he came back I was wary of engaging with him because of his past toxic posts. But he was strangely calm, making what he did even more unexpected.

2 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Alex,

And, IMO it is peo

Hi Alex,

IMO it is OK if we agree to disagree.

However, when it comes to stopping this carnage, I think that people that think like you are the are the problem.

Jerry Baumchen

Apparently not Jerry, billy thought exactly like you and murdered his family.

It's worth noting at this point that we see similar discussions on the incidents forum fairly often.  Someone will do a low turn and break or kill themselves, and discussion will ensue.  Fairly often (twice I can think of on the forum and twice in person) a conversation like this happens:

JoeNewbie:"Why are you trying to analyze this to death?  He was an idiot and he turned too low.  He shouldn't have been on that canopy."
JimOldTimer: "Well Joe you have a tiny canopy and you've had some issues.  Maybe you should get some coaching to prevent something like this."
JoeNewbie: "I am NOTHING like that guy!  That's ridiculous!  I am far more competent/skilled/experienced.  You're nuts."

Then a week/a month/a year later we read about how Joe broke himself (or killed himself) under that too-small canopy.

One guy (this was someone I knew at my DZ) was like this.  He kept downsizing until he could barely land his canopy, then he'd crow about how he was a good canopy pilot because he successfully jumped a dangerous canopy.  Someone else would break their leg; wouldn't faze him.  "Well he was an idiot."  Someone else would die.  "Well I'm not going to make such a stupid mistake."

He got grounded at his home DZ for one sketchy landing too many.  Then we made a trip to Eloy, and he showed up, telling us triumphantly "I'm not grounded HERE!"  He started jumping.  On one landing he landed too close to the mockup and took out Airspeed.  Bryan Burke yelled at him, but that wasn't enough.  On the last load of the day we were on jump run and we got a hold due to an injury on the field.  No one had to even ask who it was.

He ended up with an ambulance ride and a badly broken thumb.  That still wasn't enough.  I didn't see his final jump, but it put him in the hospital for months.  Last I heard of him, they think he will walk again with lots of rehab.  And now he becomes the example that the next jumper can point at and say "I am NOTHING like him!  I'm far more competent."

These forums are largely bullshit - people getting into stupid arguments over abortion, or how other rigs are deathtraps but THEIR rig is super, or what would happen if you towed the DZ with a tractor.  But occasionally (and mostly in the Incidents forum) there's something that happens that you can learn from.  Even if you are positive that you are nothing like that poor former skydiver.

If there's anything good that might come from Billy's death, it's that - a chance to reflect on how something like this can happen, even to someone who believes themselves to be a safe and competent gun owner, and regularly explains that.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Wrong.

If I remember correctly, last time Billy was here he was banned for making very crude posts against members of the democratic party. I saw what he posted. He was very much GOP.

When he came back I was wary of engaging with him because of his past toxic posts. But he was strangely calm, making what he did even more unexpected.

Olof if billy was in here talking that shit he was likely stirring the pot, classic billy behavior. I can assure you that billy and his entire family and flo’s family are all democrats 

On 5/25/2022 at 5:02 PM, porpoishead said:

Why are the police armed???

Police are armed because they represent the state. For the state to claim sovereingnty and absolute control, the state mush have a monopoly on border access, currency, violence, etc. If only police (soldiers, border guards, president's body guards, etc.) are armed, then they have a monopoly on violence. If only police (prison guards, etc.) can kill some one (via, bullets, hanging, electric chair, lethal injection, etc.) then citizens will resort to courts to settle their differences. Mind you, citizens need to be confident that only police are armed in their neighborhood and only police are likely to kill some one in their neighborhood.

4 minutes ago, riggerrob said:

You and I may understand the difference between (non-restricted) semi-automatic firearms and (prohibited) fully-automatic weapons, but the general public do not.

The distinction between the two in this context is largely irrelevant. In the 18 year old mass shooting scenario a semi-auto is probably more dangerous because a non-military 18 year old probably doesnt have anything like the training or control needed to keep something FA pointed in the right direction while he holds the trigger down. In fact, for a largely untrained user, something like a semi auto AR-15 is probably the most effective gun on the planet for killing a lot of people quickly, because thats exactly what it was designed to do.

(Just as an aside - its a while since I have been stateside but I'm sure some jumpers used to go down to a range near Eloy somewhere and shoot fully auto things on weather hold days - is that a thing or have I made it up in my head?)

(edited)

I can assure you that billy and his entire family and flo’s family are all democrats

Prove it? Your claims are becoming more and more incredulous. Nothing wrong with that but you need to start backing up with some proof.

Edited by olofscience

5 minutes ago, billvon said:

If there's anything good that might come from Billy's death, it's that - a chance to reflect on how something like this can happen, even to someone who believes themselves to be a safe and competent gun owner, and regularly explains that.

This, a thousand times this. Every piece of data is an opportunity to test your assumptions, thoughts, beliefs, and convictions. There's not always time, but it's a good exercise regularly. Incident reports had me putting my RSL back on, and things here have had me rethink positions as well. That doesn't make me weak, it makes me smart enough to understand situations can change, and that I can be wrong.

Wendy P.

• Like 2

Olof if billy was in here talking that shit he was likely stirring the pot, classic billy behavior. I can assure you that billy and his entire family and flo’s family are all democrats 

Political affiliation does not matter one Iota in this conversation. Attitude to guns, does. And in that you and he are identical.

Just now, Stumpy said:

The distinction between the two in this context is largely irrelevant. In the 18 year old mass shooting scenario a semi-auto is probably more dangerous because a non-military 18 year old probably doesnt have anything like the training or control needed to keep something FA pointed in the right direction while he holds the trigger down. In fact, for a largely untrained user, something like a semi auto AR-15 is probably the most effective gun on the planet for killing a lot of people quickly, because thats exactly what it was designed to do.

(Just as an aside - its a while since I have been stateside but I'm sure some jumpers used to go down to a range near Eloy somewhere and shoot fully auto things on weather hold days - is that a thing or have I made it up in my head?)

Agreed. Fully-automatic are great at converting ammo into noise when you spray-and-pray at full auto.

Back when I was a young soldier, I was trained to fire fully-automatic weapons in 3-round bursts, because that is the most that the average soldier can keep on target. The 4th, 5th and 6th bullets just fly off away from the target.

I did experiment with firing full-auto, but without a tripod or pintle mount, they were jsut a waste of ammo.

Mind you, the average gang-banger does not understand the difference and jsut wants the noisiest gun to intimidate potential rival drug-dealers.

Bottom line: there is nor reason for civilians to own fully-automatic machine guns and most are also hopelessly inaccurate with handguns.

2 minutes ago, olofscience said:

Prove it?

My man I don’t have to prove anything if you knew what I know you would know how completely ridiculous you are…

Billys old man watches MSNBC all day long used to drive billy nuts probably what drove him to do what he did watching all of those scumbags on MSNBC all day long

How can people who are on a forum, spread across the US and beyond, understand that a long-held set of postings and set of attitudes by someone (which is their only contact with him) is lying and only trying to stir the pot. Should, therefore, we assume that the opposite is true about everything Billy posted? I'm assuming if someone had asked him on the forum "are you actually a Democrat" he would have answered something along the lines of fucknofuckthatshit. I don't know, because everything he posted indicated the opposite.

So, if I can't trust his postings, can I trust yours? How about Kallend -- maybe he's actually a Whig, and we all know Billvon campaigned for a Libertarian once.

Maybe everyone is more complex than they seem on the outside -- even people you don't know.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

Just now, porpoishead said:

My man I don’t have to prove anything if you knew what I know you would know how completely ridiculous you are…

Billys old man watches MSNBC all day long used to drive billy nuts probably what drove him to do what he did watching all of those scumbags on MSNBC all day long . . .

If billy was in here talking that shit he was likely stirring the pot, classic billy behavior.

So since you're presenting as a republican, posting exactly the same sort of stuff about guns as he did, and stirring the pot, you're a democrat?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stumpy said:

Political affiliation does not matter one Iota in this conversation. Attitude to guns, does. And in that you and he are identical.

And again you are wrong in your assumption.

You’re going off of some bullshit billy posted who knows when, I knew billy personally and billy was a clown, loved fucking with people, and had absolutely no knowledge of firearms.

I am glad that you stated that political affiliation has nothing to do with the price of potatoes however, it goes to show how tolerant I am of others that share different views