3 3
Phil1111

Mental Health, Guns, Mental Health

5 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Absolutely. If you lived in a dodgy area he'd be like the ideal neighbor, as long as he didn't stop by to chat.

I have a good friend from skydiving and he is my shooting buddy. He is the only person that I personally know who owns more guns than me. He only watches FOX, he's a typical FOX viewer. A combination of Ron and Brent w/o the religion.

I have learnt to tune out the FOX, right wing narrative when we visit. That and I steer the discussion away from politics, economics and the right wing drivel. I've just know him for so long that I overlook the right wing b.s. Western Canada is a bit like Texas lite. Lots of rednecks and adjusting to new immigrants is problematic for many. Especially if they live in rural areas.

But to give an example of how FOX racism affects people. In the last decade or so he is oft to repeat anti-black memes and ideas. AFAIK and I've known him 45 years. He has never personally been acquainted with a black person. In the larger cities in Canada there are lots of new Black immigrants In addition new immigrants typically don't go to rural Canada. Because there are less jobs and cultural support groups for them.

9 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

But to give an example of how FOX racism affects people.

Some of the people I know down south are harder to talk to, much more confrontational, than was the case 7 years ago when I moved up. Only one overtly racist meme from someone who wasn’t already a known racist, but lots more line-drawing than used to happen. I still go to the skydiving reunions, though; I’m hoping in the long run they’ll remember life as it used to be when they took it a little easier. Either way, I’ve been friends with some of them 40+ years  

Wendy P. 

3 hours ago, DFWAJG said:

We have a different culture than Europe.  We are not European here.  (or down under or Canadian).  The purpose of the 2nd amendment is to protect ourselves from our government.  And for that, I whole heartedly support open carry and no "gun laws."    Familicide is often carried out by those who see their families as extensions of themselves, a very narcissistic concept.  I didn't know Billy well enough to be able to determine why he did what he did and none of us who were regularly in touch with him saw this coming.  We can only wait for the release of his letter. When I was in school, kids had gun racks hanging from the backs of their rear windows in their trucks. If what occurs today occurred then, there would have been a whole lot of kids taking that down. You take down an active shooter with a shot.  It is the "norm" now.  It has been done many times.  It's called "contagion."  Read up about it. 

Hi DF,

Re:  The purpose of the 2nd amendment is to protect ourselves from our government.

You cannot legally or illegally obtain enough weaponry to successfully take on a SWAT vehicle & it's occupants.

We live in a different world than 1776.

IMO you have to be fantasizing if you truly think you can out-gun the gov't.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

The purpose of the 2nd amendment is to protect ourselves from our government.

And the people who believe that also believe the government is secretly controlled by the evil Deep State, made up of Satan worshipping pedophiles, without seeing any irony.

12 minutes ago, NewGuy2005 said:

Have their been more firearm restrictions?  Serious question.  I don't know the answer.

In CA they started requiring background checks for ammunition. It was ruled unconstitutional when it turned out to just be a money grab due to an unusable database made the background check worthless. I posted on here about the problems with the law beforehand it was ruled unconstitutional. There are currently a couple of bills before the state congress similar to the "allowing open lawsuits" against any one involved with an abortion but for gun uses. Keep an eye on CA, they are usually the model for similar efforts in other states.

1 hour ago, airdvr said:

A few years back I was one who sided with the anti gun control folks.  I don't know the answer but this has to stop.

Welcome aboard. I, for one, am willing to register all of my guns, pay a fee for any new or used guns I buy, give up guns that I never use and will likely never use again and and submit to a psychological exam (provided it wasn't administered by woodpeckers or grey digger squirrels) if by joining in it kept just one parent from learning that their nine year old was murdered by a bullied, mentally tortured, maniac at school that day. Maybe it would be pointless, maybe it would be wrong. But it's time to do something, to give up something, even if it's wrong.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Welcome aboard. I, for one, am willing to register all of my guns, pay a fee for any new or used guns I buy, give up guns that I never use and will likely never use again and and submit to a psychological exam (provided it wasn't administered by woodpeckers or grey digger squirrels) if by joining in it kept just one parent from learning that their nine year old was murdered by a bullied, mentally tortured, maniac at school that day. Maybe it would be pointless, maybe it would be wrong. But it's time to do something, to give up something, even if it's wrong.

Sometimes doing the wrong thing, or the imperfect thing, gives a point of view that makes the right thing easier to find. Kind of like going up to high ground when you've lost your way, so you can see a new way out.

Wendy P.

• Like 1

(edited)
39 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Sometimes doing the wrong thing, or the imperfect thing, gives a point of view that makes the right thing easier to find. Kind of like going up to high ground when you've lost your way, so you can see a new way out.

Wendy P.

In that vein, imagine how history would view Manchin and Sinema if they had the courage to say enough and change the filibuster to enact sensible gun control and protect a woman's right to choose. It's a once in a million lifetimes opportunity to be great they are giving up in exchange for what amounts to nothing.

Edited by JoeWeber

1 hour ago, JoeWeber said:

Hi Joe,

This is what the gun folks cannot & will not accept. 

I am complete agreement with you.

Jerry Baumchen

1 minute ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

This is what the gun folks cannot & will not accept. 

I am complete agreement with you.

Jerry Baumchen

Jerry,

The Ulvade massacre has me very disturbed and disoriented, much like a hit to the head. All of these shootings have left me somewhat unhorsed but this one, where the cops were standing by armed to the teeth and yet paralyzed by fear when parents were fighting them to get into the school to save their kids is simply too much. I read that one dad was put to the ground and cuffed to keep him away. A mother was cuffed after pleading for the cops to act, then released, and then scaled a fence to get in to save her kids. How can anyone in authority believe this is how we should live? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, porpoishead said:

Neither is more firearm restrictions apparently at some point we have to admit that’s not working either.

Well - except mass shootings did go down during the assault weapon ban.  Even that poorly written piece of legislature had an effect.  And in countries that have better laws (Australia, the UK) mass shootings virtually stopped.

So they do work.  People just don't want them.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, billvon said:

Well - except mass shootings did go down during the assault weapon ban.  Even that poorly written piece of legislature had an effect.  And in countries that have better laws (Australia, the UK) mass shootings virtually stopped.

So they do work.  People just don't want them.

No. Most people do want them; the minority don't want them and we live under their yoke. That's the problem.

2 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

No. Most people do want them; the minority don't want them and we live under their yoke. That's the problem.

Nothing will happen beyond thoughts, prayers and hand wringing, because a minority party is in control of the Senate simply on account of a historic sop to slaveowners over 200 years ago, and that minority party is beholden to the gun lobby.

8 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

And the people who believe that also believe the government is secretly controlled by the evil Deep State, made up of Satan worshipping pedophiles, without seeing any irony.

Justin you ain’t American, which country exactly did you mean they think this way in Canada? You guys need to calm down with that brother

7 minutes ago, kallend said:

Nothing will happen beyond thoughts, prayers and hand wringing, because a minority party is in control of the Senate simply on account of a historic sop to slaveowners over 200 years ago, and that minority party is beholden to the gun lobby.

The sadness of now is that like it or not, by the force of law as laid down by the Supreme Court of the United States and the self serving intransigence of a minority of our legislatures, the writ of the religious now applies to, and will infest, our daily lives. Like citizens of an occupied country we must now get used to the new normal.

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

The sadness of now is that like it or not, by the force of law as laid down by the Supreme Court of the United States and the self serving intransigence of a minority of our legislatures, the writ of the religious now applies to, and will infest, our daily lives. Like citizens of an occupied country we must now get used to the new normal.

You voted democrat you got it brother, congratulations 

(edited)

I remember when the moderators on these forums came around these hot topics and encouraged users to stay “on topic” it’s amazing how polarized we have become and apologetic and sorry as a country that even people from other countries are off topic and in here trashing my country.

And some of the moderators are the ones encouraging it.

Edited by porpoishead