3 3
Phil1111

Mental Health, Guns, Mental Health

22 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

100 Million more guns in America since Sandy Hook, I heard. Idiots like Abbot are again arguing that arming teachers and active school shooting drills are the solution. We are truly screwed. 

Because "Gun Free Schoolzones" has worked thus far! 

1 hour ago, porpoishead said:

Same could be said here in the states Justin as far as majority being criminal on criminal what’s going on in Chicago and a lot of metropolitan areas with the gang kids is obscene and so senseless they really just kill each other over nothing. I contribute that mostly to a fundamental lack of education.

Nice try but Chicago isn't even in the top 10 for homicides per capita (It's #28).  The worst cities are in the gun friendly south, like NoLa, Memphis, St. Louis, Birmingham, Baton Rouge. . .

1 minute ago, kallend said:

Nice try but Chicago isn't even in the top 10 for homicides per capita (It's #28).  The worst cities are in the gun friendly south, like NoLa, Memphis, St. Louis, Birmingham, Baton Rouge. . .

I did list Chicago by name without any reference per capita. “The worst” I think is a relative term when it comes to the whole “drill rap opp shopping get them before they get me” phenomenon. New Orleans East has been a no man’s land since after Katrina that’s a rough part of the world, they just want to be known as killers they will shoot women and children indiscriminately. BR was also a product of Katrina as well as Houston.  

I wasn’t “trying” anything John, just so you know.

27 minutes ago, kallend said:

Works in every other developed country.  The only difference is GUN AVAILABILITY - something that Alex won't discuss.

May be an image of text that says 'Gun ownership and homicide rates in developed countries 4 gun homicides per 100,000 people 3 United States France 1 Belgium Spain Canada Portugal Germany 25 Australia 50 75 100 125 Guns per 100 people'

We have a different culture than Europe.  We are not European here.  (or down under or Canadian).  The purpose of the 2nd amendment is to protect ourselves from our government.  And for that, I whole heartedly support open carry and no "gun laws."    Familicide is often carried out by those who see their families as extensions of themselves, a very narcissistic concept.  I didn't know Billy well enough to be able to determine why he did what he did and none of us who were regularly in touch with him saw this coming.  We can only wait for the release of his letter. When I was in school, kids had gun racks hanging from the backs of their rear windows in their trucks. If what occurs today occurred then, there would have been a whole lot of kids taking that down. You take down an active shooter with a shot.  It is the "norm" now.  It has been done many times.  It's called "contagion."  Read up about it. 

4 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

I did list Chicago by name without any reference per capita. “The worst” I think is a relative term when it comes to the whole “drill rap opp shopping get them before they get me” phenomenon. New Orleans East has been a no man’s land since after Katrina that’s a rough part of the world, they just want to be known as killers they will shoot women and children indiscriminately. BR was also a product of Katrina as well as Houston.  

I wasn’t “trying” anything John, just so you know.

Interesting. I lived in Houston before, during, and for 10 years after Katrina. There was an uptick in homicides (which started in 2004, I guess in anticipation or something?), and it immediately started back down again. By 2011 it was lower than the trend for the 5 years before Katrina. Here's a link

That accords with my memory of living there. There might have been neighborhoods I considered dodgy in the night, but none by day.

Wendy P.

4 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

Also John, more than twice as many murders to date in Chicago than New Orleans. I guess my mind defaulted to quantity in that instance. I could have easily said Mew Orleans as well as any other metropolitan area really.

New Orleans has less than 1/2 million people. Chicago has 3 million people. That's over six times the size. It's not surprising it has twice as many. It also has more murders than my current hometown in Massachusetts. That's why per capita is useful.

Wendy P.

1 minute ago, wmw999 said:

Interesting. I lived in Houston before, during, and for 10 years after Katrina. There was an uptick in homicides (which started in 2004, I guess in anticipation or something?), and it immediately started back down again. By 2011 it was lower than the trend for the 5 years before Katrina. Here's a link

That accords with my memory of living there. There might have been neighborhoods I considered dodgy in the night, but none by day.

Wendy P.

Without looking into the link Wendy Houston did have a significant murder rate before Katrina I think the Katrina boost was just a temporary thing as you suggest.

9 minutes ago, DFWAJG said:

We have a different culture than Europe.  We are not European here.  (or down under or Canadian). 

Yep, that is very true.  It is worthwhile, IMO, to change our culture so we do not have the highest number of school shootings in the world.

When I was in school, kids had gun racks hanging from the backs of their rear windows in their trucks. If what occurs today occurred then, there would have been a whole lot of kids taking that down. You take down an active shooter with a shot.  It is the "norm" now.  It has been done many times. 

Y'know, I hear this over and over.  There was an armed guard patrolling this school.  He didn't stop the shooter.  Two armed police officers didn't stop the shooter.  In fact they regrouped or retreated or planned or something for 40 minutes before taking action, and another poster here explained why that was a good decision on their part.

Adding a bunch of less trained armed people to that mix would not have made things better.  And if you add more trained people, and their good decisions mean they don't engage the shooter, that means that doesn't work either.

The "just add more guns" doesn't work.  We keep adding more guns and the death toll keeps going up.  At some point you have to admit that it's not working.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

Without looking into the link Wendy Houston did have a significant murder rate before Katrina I think the Katrina boost was just a temporary thing as you suggest.

Well, the way you said "BR was a product of Katrina as well as Houston" doesn't sound like it goes with a statement that the murder rate went down after the single spike. Houston is the fourth largest city in America, right after Chicago. It's not surprising there would be a significant number of murders. The chart you didn't look at was about the rate, not the number. As population grows, the number of murders (and crazy people, and rich people, and poor people, etc) is necessarily going to grow.

Wendy P.

1 minute ago, billvon said:

Yep, that is very true.  It is worthwhile, IMO, to change our culture so we do not have the highest number of school shootings in the world.

Y'know, I hear this over and over.  There was an armed guard patrolling this school.  He didn't stop the shooter.  Two armed police officers didn't stop the shooter.  In fact they regrouped or retreated or planned or something for 40 minutes before taking action, and another poster here explained why that was a good decision on their part.

Adding a bunch of less trained armed people to that mix would not have made things better.  And if you add more trained people, and their good decisions mean they don't engage the shooter, that means that doesn't work either.

The "just add more guns" doesn't work.  We keep adding more guns and the death toll keeps going up.  At some point you have to admit that it's not working.

Neither is more firearm restrictions apparently at some point we have to admit that’s not working either.

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Well, the way you said "BR was a product of Katrina as well as Houston" doesn't sound like it goes with a statement that the murder rate went down after the single spike. Houston is the fourth largest city in America, right after Chicago. It's not surprising there would be a significant number of murders. The chart you didn't look at was about the rate, not the number. As population grows, the number of murders (and crazy people, and rich people, and poor people, etc) is necessarily going to grow.

Wendy P.

That is what I meant as a product of Katrina Wendy, because such a large number of people were displaced in such a short amount of time to neighboring cities here in the south. 

43 minutes ago, DFWAJG said:

When I was in school, kids had gun racks hanging from the backs of their rear windows in their trucks.

When you were in elementary school kids had gun racks in their trucks? lol the lies people will tell to justify their own idiocy.

1 minute ago, porpoishead said:

Come on Justin you already know she didn’t mean elementary kids that young don’t drive. 

48 minutes ago, DFWAJG said:

If what occurs today occurred then, there would have been a whole lot of kids taking that down.

Well the two recent shootings we have been discussing are Billy killing his family and a teenager shooting up an elementary school...not sure how high school kids with a gun rack in their truck were going to stop that...today.

Anyway folks, I respectfully bow out of this debate. Billy tried for years to get me in here in when he was alive and never could. Took him perpetrating a despicable act of horror on his family for him to get me in here. I’m sorry I couldn’t provide any further answers. 

Billy used to reference a scene from a movie all the time about someone getting a pineapple shoved up their ass. Was an Adam Sandler movie. I was just corrected a few minutes ago I thought it was Monty python, I’ve never watched either. He used to quote that scene anytime someone did something despicable. Well I hope Billy got his pineapple.

the classic and very infamous “fuck you billy” greeting has certainly taken on a new meeting.

It was great to hear from y’all, y’all be good and spread the love.

(edited)

One of the parents was put in cuffs and detained for urging law enforcement to do something. When she convinced the cops to let her free, she jumped the fence and got into the school and got her kids out.

She was able to do that cause cops were too busy pepper spraying parents.

Uvalde spends 40% of their city budget on policing AND the school board has an extensive safety plan. The shooter spent 12 minutes outside shooting before getting into the school. 12 Minutes in a state with some of the laxest gun laws and highest gun ownership. Then it took 1 hour to get enough competent people together to neutralize 1 inexperienced teenager.

Then the Republican and Libertarian brainpower tells us that the only answer to all of this is to stop the democrats' gay agenda and build schools with one door which can only be attended by kids with gun racks in their trucks.

Edited by SkyDekker
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, SkyDekker said:

Uvalde spends 40% of their city budget on policing AND the school board has an extensive safety plan.

A good chunk of that money was used for a SWAT team in nice tacticool gear with camouflage outfits to train at schools for exactly this scenario....

Neither is more firearm restrictions apparently at some point we have to admit that’s not working either.

Oh puleeze.  The firearm restrictions we have are deliberately toothless,  We haven't remotely tried anything likely to be effective, thanks to the gun lobby's money funding the GOP.

Also John, more than twice as many murders to date in Chicago than New Orleans. I guess my mind defaulted to quantity in that instance. I could have easily said Mew Orleans as well as any other metropolitan area really.

And Chicago has 6x the population.  Nice try, but FAIL.

1 hour ago, DFWAJG said:

We have a different culture than Europe.  

Europeans watch the same TV shows as us, as do Canadians and Australians.  They see the same cop shows with the same movie violence.  They eat the same food (pretty much), drink the same booze and for the most part drive the same cars and shop in similar stores.   The biggest DIFFERENCE is that Europeans, Canadians etc. don't have absurdly easy access to firearms. 

• Like 3