3 3
Phil1111

Mental Health, Guns, Mental Health

1 hour ago, porpoishead said:

Phil, I engage in all types of hunts sometimes at night in attempt to take a sounder of feral hogs. Bolt gun or a lever gun are not suited when firing a string of shots out on multiple moving targets it’s far safer from an automatic platform not having to make any unnecessary motions to cycle the action especially when multiple shooters are involved 

You might want to think about getting a mini-gun. you know, just to be safe. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, yoink said:

I'll be honest dude, my son is starting school this August and I'm scared. 

Scared enough to consider that arming teachers might be a solution, even though intellectually I know it's not. Even though I know it's a fucking TERRIBLE solution. But what other options do I have apart from either having schools monitored like prisons, or arming my kid? This isn't going to change. Guns aren't going away and the depression rate among teenagers is only going up.

Right now I'd love to hear some realistic ideas that don't rely on big-sky theory.

I wish I wasn't lost to the point of despondency, but I am. I'm often in other countries, mostly actually, where Americas silly gun dramas aren't an issue, where people like porpoishead don't exist and life just continues on without concern or fear of not having enough guns. I love my country. I am a proud American on everything we do except this second amendment nonsense. But that may not be enough to keep me here.

1 minute ago, JoeWeber said:

I wish I wasn't lost to the point of despondency, but I am. I'm often in other countries, mostly actually, where Americas silly gun dramas aren't an issue, where people like porpoishead don't exist and life just continues on without concern or fear of not having enough guns. I love my country. I am a proud American on everything we do except this second amendment nonsense. But that may not be enough to keep me here.

I’m the last person you need to worry about brother, I would never hurt you. I’m not sure what I have ever done to you or this country that you would not want me to exist.

5 hours ago, porpoishead said:

I’m the last person you need to worry about brother, I would never hurt you. I’m not sure what I have ever done to you or this country that you would not want me to exist.

Só what is your answer to the undeniable fact that easy access to guns by people who weren’t obviously mentally I’ll has resulted in the deaths of at least 25 people in “unexplainable” mass shootings, including someone you knew personally, just in the last week? What do you propose to prevent it, or are you all about waiting for the problems and addressing them as they happen?

Waiting and fixing is just about always worse and way more expensive than preventing. Consider people’s health — eating healthy food, not smoking, and getting generally enough exercise means, for most people, a whole lot less medical care in the long run. Waiting until drunk drivers have an accident or kill someone is worse than having police looking for signs of erratic driving, and anyway driving drunk doesn’t mean you’ll definitely get in an accident or kill someone — I know lots of people who have done it. Consider a house — repairing that roof right, even if it’s more expensive, is just about always better than replacing it, or replacing the stuff that got ruined when it really lets go. It’s easy to say “that’s why I have insurance,” but isn’t that why insurance is so expensive?

So back to my original question - do you have any ideas in a direction that’s acceptable to you that might have helped with either the Uvalde or Alabama shootings? They don’t happen in other countries with equal population densities and variety of population, so it’s not that  

Wendy P. 

2 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

What do you propose to prevent it, or are you all about waiting for the problems and addressing them as they happen?

Given the complete lack of self awareness in his posts, I am very sure that he won't even get past the first few sentences of your well thought-out question.

Guns are legal in the UK. But you need an extensive background check, annual psychiatric evaluations and regular inspections of firearms and their storage locations.

But if to someone that's as good as banning them, it's probably because they probably won't pass one or more of those checks. But they won't admit that, will they?

(edited)
1 hour ago, olofscience said:

Given the complete lack of self awareness in his posts, I am very sure that he won't even get past the first few sentences of your well thought-out question.

Guns are legal in the UK. But you need an extensive background check, annual psychiatric evaluations and regular inspections of firearms and their storage locations.

But if to someone that's as good as banning them, it's probably because they probably won't pass one or more of those checks. But they won't admit that, will they?

42 minutes ago, kallend said:

Self explanatory.  A sick society, and the symptoms are right here in this thread.

I have no doubt that Brent would pass background checks. I have no reservations about him playing with Ar-15s. Alex comes across as impulsive. But background checks involve demonstrated mental instability or uncontrolled aggression.

Outside America for a hunter to show up at a hunting camp to start a discussion and debate. That a .22 caliber semi auto like a Ar-15 is a good hunting weapon. Would label themself as either a novice or ignorant. They would most likely be shunned. A core component for a hunter is respect and consideration for what your hunting. To dispatch a game animal quickly so it doesn't suffer. The .223 caliber bullet which weighs 50-60 grains( 3.2 to 3.9 grams). Is almost insignificant to the average hunting bullet. Which is about .30 cal and 180 grains.

A conviction for road rage and assault on a police offer. Would preclude a firearms license in almost every country. America excepted.

"The U.S. is experiencing a huge number of road rage incidents.... In 2021, 45 people were wounded and 11 were killed in road rage shootings — in Dallas alone. Across the country, last year was one of the worst years on record for these kinds of deadly outbursts.This psychology intensifies when an individual is already prone to anger. There’s plenty of research that shows that people with a high, long-standing disposition toward anger have an inclination to view others’ bad driving behaviors as intentionally aggressive, viewing the other driver as a malicious perpetrator. These expressions of road rage are usually not the first time these individuals have committed an aggressive act. Antagonists may view the roads as their territory and lack the ability to control their temper. They also tend to be male. Obviously, driving under the influence of alcohol or cannabis increases the odds of aggressive driving."

Edited by Phil1111

Just to note, I remember porpoisehead from when he used to post regularly on dz.com. It's a positive memory -- he was generally thoughtful. This is a hard time for him, with a huge conflict between what he knows, and what he now knows. That's hard to navigate. How many skydivers still prefer not to jump with an AAD or an RSL?

Wendy P.

18 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

Outside America for a hunter to show up at a hunting camp to start a discussion and debate. That a .22 caliber semi auto like a Ar-15 is a good hunting weapon. Would label themself as either a novice or ignorant. They would most likely be shunned. A core component for a hunter is respect and consideration for what your hunting. To dispatch a game animal quickly so it doesn't suffer. The .223 caliber bullet which weighs 50-60 grains( 3.2 to 3.9 grams). Is almost insignificant to the average hunting bullet. Which is about .30 cal and 180 grains.

You sure do make a lot of assumptions and speculations Phil. Personally I don’t own any .223 amo despite having over 30 AR rifles. Only thing I short with 5.56 is paper and that’s because I use the cases to load 30cal 

but go right ahead and keep making assumptions thinking you know something you don’t know nothing about 

1 hour ago, olofscience said:

More assumptions and speculation… yeah this will certainly lead to some answers 

44 minutes ago, wmw999 said:

Just to note, I remember porpoisehead from when he used to post regularly on dz.com. It's a positive memory -- he was generally thoughtful. This is a hard time for him, with a huge conflict between what he knows, and what he now knows. That's hard to navigate. How many skydivers still prefer not to jump with an AAD or an RSL?

Wendy P.

People who are thoughtful when they're calm, that can easily go out the window when they're emotional. I know I am, and I'm still trying to improve on that.

But I saw a quote recently - when people don't use reason to arrive at a conclusion, you can't use reason to get them out of it.

2 hours ago, wmw999 said:

So back to my original question - do you have any ideas in a direction that’s acceptable to you that might have helped with either the Uvalde or Alabama shootings? They don’t happen in other countries with equal population densities and variety of population, so it’s not that  

Wendy P. 

Wendy, I do not have an ideas currently what could have prevented either incident. In reference to the Texas incident it’s easy to say that I personally would never have sold a firearm to some kid with that many issues. Guy walks into the shop looks presentable 4473 clears and you proceed with the sale. I’m not sure that a battery of questions right then may bring up anything else that could stop the sale.

This is from the lift every voice Oregon website.

“All firearm purchasers will need a permit to buy a firearm. Before issuance, the permit applicant must successfully complete a background check (regardless of how long it takes), as well as pass both a firearm safety training class and a live-fire training session, as those terms are defined in IP 17. 

The permit is valid for 5 years. Whether the seller is a licensed dealer or unlicensed seller at a gun show, at the time of purchase, a current, valid, permit must be presented and a background check must be successfully completed before any firearm is turned over to or received by the purchaser.

Restrictions are also imposed upon purchase of the certain ammunition. No magazines over 10 rounds can be purchased or sold after the effective date of the Act and those already owned on that date are restricted to the owner’s sole use on personal property, at shooting ranges, competition and lawful recreational activities such as hunting, provided they are transported to such locations in a locked container separate from any firearm. Sale or transfer of large-capacity magazines to others is prohibited, except, within 180 days of the effective date of the Act they may be sold or transferred to a licensed dealer or permanently altered to only hold 10 rounds or, at any time, turned in to law enforcement for destruction.

Manufacturing of large-capacity magazines or sale by a dealer is also prohibited, except for military and law enforcement purposes.

The penalty for violation of this law is a Class A misdemeanor or, in some instances, if the violator has one or more prior convictions at the time of the charge, the penalty is a Class C felony.”

how would any of this done absolutely anything in Billy’s situation?

33 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

You sure do make a lot of assumptions and speculations Phil. Personally I don’t own any .223 amo despite having over 30 AR rifles. Only thing I short with 5.56 is paper and that’s because I use the cases to load 30cal 

but go right ahead and keep making assumptions thinking you know something you don’t know nothing about 

So do you shoot 300 Blackout or what are they chambered in? I've owned several Ar-15s, Hk-91s. My Diebold Nixdorf walk in gun safe is 7' x 6' x 5' inside dimension, and weighs 6 tons.I bought my first handgun likely before you were born(1974). I know what I'm talking about.

Perhaps you should proof your posts before you put them up. Because incomplete sentences and undeveloped paragraphs. Come across as though attention issues are at play. Your continual claims about the ignorance and assumptions of others here.  Also comes across as having  to continually defend some sort of personal identity issues.

Do you own a shooting facility that uses NV and thermal scopes to hunt pigs at night for paying customers?

9 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

Right… isn’t it awesome? We really figured this thing out now didn’t we?

Let's check:

11 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

I do not have an ideas currently what could have prevented either incident.

Nope, you haven't figured this thing out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

So do you shoot 300 Blackout or what are they chambered in? I've owned several Ar-15s, Hk-91s. My Diebold Nixdorf walk in gun safe is 7' x 6' x 5' inside dimension, and weighs 6 tons.I bought my first handgun likely before you were born(1974). I know what I'm talking about.

Perhaps you should proof your posts before you put them up. Because incomplete sentences and undeveloped paragraphs. Come across as though attention issues are at play. Your continual claims about the ignorance and assumptions of others here.  Also comes across as having  to continually defend some sort of personal identity issues.

Do you own a shooting facility that uses NV and thermal scopes to hunt pigs at night for paying customers?

Phil you’re the one going on and on about a .223 as if that’s the only caliber an AR is capable of firing. 

Is that a complete enough sentence for you to comprehend? 

1 hour ago, porpoishead said:

“You sure do make a lot of assumptions Phil.” This checks out for complete sentence

“I don’t personally own .223 ammo despite multiple rifles in that platform” yeah this checks out as complete sentence as well

“only thing I shoot with 5.56 is paper to use the cases” another complete sentence