3 3
Phil1111

Mental Health, Guns, Mental Health

(edited)

A hunter with practice can use a bolt rifle with a 3-4 round capacity magazine. In most hunting situations. To take as much game as is allowed by law. Hunting wild pigs excepted where there are no limits.

I like Ar-15s and they are fun to shoot. The problem with them is high capacity mags. Which allow pretty much anyone to engage many, many targets The .223 is low recoil so its easy for beginners to shoot. Thats two reasons why these 18 year old deranged gunmen often choose them. Why they are so successful in their deranged missions of homicide.

For those that like to go to the range and engage in shooting games with other shooters. You can absolutely have as much fun with bolt, pump, o/u, lever action guns as you can with a AR type semi-auto. Sometimes more. Most shooting competitions, courses of fire,are designed for reloads/mag changes

As far as a self defense handgun goes many compact semi-autos come standard with 10 round mags. As they are more compact and easier to carry. Those who argue that 15-17 round or higher capacity mags are necessary for self defense need to practice more.

48 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

...in low light conditions from having to manipulate ammo or manually cycle other types of rifles

Perhaps you're not phrasing your thoughts carefully. But low light conditions should have no effect on your ability to cycle or manipulate your firearm to chamber more rounds.

29 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

... not have to manipulate a rifle to manually cycle it for safety reasons 

Please explain the reasons why physically cycling rounds into the chamber of your rifle individually is unsafe? Semi-auto weapons are statistically more dangerous than any weapon where the round is individually chambered by a separate physical action.

In other news "Just days before the recent mass shootings in Texas and New York, both committed by 18-year-olds, a federal appeals court struck down a California law that banned the sale of some semiautomatic weapons to people under 21."

Edited by Phil1111

3 minutes ago, Phil1111 said:

A hunter with practice can use a bolt rifle with a 3-4 round capacity magazine. In most hunting situations. To take as much game as is allowed by law. Hunting wild pigs excepted where there are no limits.

I like Ar-15s and they are fun to shoot. The problem with them is high capacity mags. Which allow pretty much anyone to engage many, many targets The .223 is low recoil so its easy for beginners to shoot. Thats two reasons why these 18 year old deranged gunmen often choose them. Why they are so successful in their deranged missions of homicide.

For those that like to go to the range and engage in shooting games with other shooters. You can absolutely have as much fun with bolt, pump, o/u, lever action guns as you can with a AR type semi-auto. Sometimes more. Most shooting competitions, courses of fire,are designed for reloads/mag changes

As far as a self defense handgun goes many compact semi-autos come standard with 10 round mags. As they are more compact and easier to carry. Those who argue that 15-17 round or higher capacity mags are necessary for self defense need to practice more.

Perhaps you're not phrasing your thoughts carefully. But low light conditions should have no effect on your ability to cycle or manipulate your firearm to chamber more rounds.

Please explain the reasons why physically cycling rounds into the chamber of your rifle individually is unsafe? Semi-auto weapons are statistically more dangerous than any weapon where the round is individually chambered by a separate physical action.

Phil, I engage in all types of hunts sometimes at night in attempt to take a sounder of feral hogs. Bolt gun or a lever gun are not suited when firing a string of shots out on multiple moving targets it’s far safer from an automatic platform not having to make any unnecessary motions to cycle the action especially when multiple shooters are involved 

On the same note I’m not carrying an automatic on a deer hunt wether it’s a still hunt, running dogs, or stalking. May be a bolt gun may be a lever gun may be a shotgun all depends on the hunt the distance and if dogs are turned out or not or if I’m driving the dogs 

19 minutes ago, porpoishead said:

Phil, I engage in all types of hunts sometimes at night in attempt to take a sounder of feral hogs. Bolt gun or a lever gun are not suited when firing a string of shots out on multiple moving targets it’s far safer from an automatic platform not having to make any unnecessary motions to cycle the action especially when multiple shooters are involved 

The motion to cycle a bolt, pump, or lever action should not distract anyone. Either from having to remove your eyes from the target/scope. Or from the target. Other shooters should not distract a shooter from cambering rounds in their own weapon..Certainly no shooters cycle the actions of others.

In any event IMO you're making fallacious arguments predisposed to the AR.. Where other rifle styles and actions would work  just as well. In countries where semi-autos are discouraged. This is how its done.

1 minute ago, Phil1111 said:

The motion to cycle a bolt, pump, or lever action should not distract anyone. Either from having to remove your eyes from the target/scope. Or from the target. Other shooters should not distract a shooter from cambering rounds in their own weapon..Certainly no shooters cycle the actions of others.

In any event IMO you're making fallacious arguments predisposed to the AR.. Where other rifle styles and actions would work  just as well. In countries where semi-autos are discouraged. This is how its done.

Phil I’m not making any fallacious anything. I know what works and what doesn’t I do it. You have to remove a hand from your rifle to cycle the action, when you’re wearing gear that limits your peripheral vision and you’re engaging multiple moving targets in a fast pace hunt with other shooters in proximity a bolt gun ain’t going to get it sorry. Whatever you’re pretending you know ain’t it 

If I’m in a gunfight and I think it’s prudent for safety and success to stop a threat then I want as many rounds as possible to stop that threat. May be multiple shooters, may be shooters behind cover, may be shooters wearing armor, may be any combination of things. I love me, I want to win the gunfight. 15-17 rounds may not be enough. Carry big and carry high capacity I say and a few magazines too the life you save may be your own

11 hours ago, olofscience said:

No, but you need a license to jump. You need a license to drive. It's insane that you don't for owning a gun.

Most places in the US you need to be at least 21 to rent a car.... 25 isn't unusual. You know. Because of the damage and liability you can incur.

But owning a gun? Fuck yeah! 18 and up for a rifle. 21 for a handgun.

But of course that's not insane.

I could hunt with a bow and I do sometimes works just fine too… if I’m going to smoke some hogs then I’m bringing an automatic with a can and sending some airmail because that’s how I do it. Could be there 58 different ways to skin a cat… don’t mean nothing I’m going to do it how I do it.

3 minutes ago, yoink said:

Most places in the US you need to be at least 21 to rent a car.... 25 isn't unusual. You know. Because of the damage and liability you can incur.

But owning a gun? Fuck yeah! 18 and up for a rifle. 21 for a handgun.

But of course that's not insane.

Not insane at all in my opinion I had guns well before I was 18

Just now, porpoishead said:

Not insane at all in my opinion I had guns well before I was 18

umm. Congrats?

But then, Billy probably did too, I'd guess. And he murdered his entire family. And I'm certain he probably would have said EXACTLY the same things you have done. 100% I'll NEVER do that! It's for protection only.

You might want to step away from the keyboard for the night. I'm still catching up with the 40 other posts you've made.

7 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

100 Million more guns in America since Sandy Hook, I heard. Idiots like Abbot are again arguing that arming teachers and active school shooting drills are the solution. We are truly screwed. 

I'll be honest dude, my son is starting school this August and I'm scared. 

Scared enough to consider that arming teachers might be a solution, even though intellectually I know it's not. Even though I know it's a fucking TERRIBLE solution. But what other options do I have apart from either having schools monitored like prisons, or arming my kid? This isn't going to change. Guns aren't going away and the depression rate among teenagers is only going up.

Right now I'd love to hear some realistic ideas that don't rely on big-sky theory.

Billy had a rifle when he was around 21-22 or some shit some garland knock off a mini 30 or something he used to target shoot with.

billy was also extremely famous for parroting anything just to get a rise out of people I don’t think he knew what the hell he was even saying half the time 

(edited)
3 hours ago, porpoishead said:

Phil I for one am open to the discussion. 

There’s  millions of people that are armed or travel with an armed detail for a bunch of different threats.

Somehow in the indiscriminate attack on some inanimate object with a bunch of bullshit statistics to go along I’m told I’m the problem, that it is my attitude that is the problem.

these guys don’t live in my world they don’t do what I do so it’s foolish to try and tell me if I should or should not be armed or what I should be armed with.

Being armed as a professional requirement is different to being armed at all times.

I'm fortunate enough that my neighbor is on the security detail of a senior politician and we've had this discussion a number of times over beers. His comments reflect the same conversation I've had with special forces soldiers from several nations during my skydiving career. 1 - Leave it to the professionals. They train for it every day, and even they make mistakes. The idea that a civilian will hit their targets in a stressful situation is only a little short of fantasy. 2 - When it's not work time, they put their guns away. Because they're not afraid every moment of every day. 

(for the most part) Carrying a gun at home is an indication of insecurity, nor strength.

To me, that says that civilians should not be allowed to buy guns barring a) exceptional lifestyle circumstances, or b) specific training and currency requirements, including mental health checks.

Edited by yoink

1 minute ago, yoink said:

Being armed for a professional requirement is different to being armed at all times.

I'm fortunate enough that my neighbor is on the security detail of a senior politician and we've had this discussion a number of times. His comments reflect the same conversation I've had with special forces soldiers from several nations during my skydiving career. 1 - Leave it to the professionals. They train for it every day, and even they make mistakes. The idea that a civilian will hit their targets in a stressful situation is only a little short of fantasy. 2 - When it's not work time, they put their guns away. Because they're not afraid every moment of every day. 

(for the most part) Carrying a gun at home is an indication of insecurity, nor strength.

I sleep with one under my pillow even makes me feel good