brenthutch

Affirmative action candidate fails as press secretary

6 hours ago, jakee said:

Why are you lying to me when your first post and thread title are both still sitting there in black and white? Do you think I would somehow forget to go back and check what you wrote yesterday?

Please.  That was almost 48 hours ago!  It is unfair to hold him to something he said almost two DAYS ago.

14 hours ago, jakee said:

You starting this thread is identity politics. You assuming Bill loves her because of her identity is identity politics. You never having a problem with incompetent straight white people being hired en masse but losing your shit over one black lesbian is identity politics. 

It’s not me, Jean-Pierre, upon being appointed press secretary lead off with her credentials.

‘I am a Black, gay, immigrant woman’

In much the way VP Harris’s gender and race are not redounding to actual accomplishments, Jean-Pierre is facing the same challenges. In progressive circles the answer to any problem is climate change bad, cooperations bad, rich folks bad.  While that gets nods of approval in San Francisco, it doesn’t cut it when one faces an adversarial press member.

(edited)
1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

It’s not me, Jean-Pierre, upon being appointed press secretary lead off with her credentials.

‘I am a Black, gay, immigrant woman’

In much the way VP Harris’s gender and race are not redounding to actual accomplishments, Jean-Pierre is facing the same challenges. In progressive circles the answer to any problem is climate change bad, cooperations bad, rich folks bad.  While that gets nods of approval in San Francisco, it doesn’t cut it when one faces an adversarial press member.

Please post where she specifically stated her credentials for being press secretary are "I am a Black, gay, immigrant woman". Because as far as I know she specifically said: 

"I am obviously acutely aware that my presence at this podium represents a few firsts. I am a Black, gay, immigrant woman — the first of all three of those to hold this position," she said. "If it were not for generations of barrier-breaking people before me, I would not be here. But I benefit from their sacrifices. I have learned from their excellence. And I am forever grateful to them."

"Representation does matter," she added. "You hear us say this often in this administration, and no one understands this better than President Biden."

To make hard things easier to understand I often read them backwards so I can better focus. Now, while it's never worked for me with what you post, it just might help you read that all she was doing was stating an interesting reality that is also a first for the position, not her credentials.

Edited by JoeWeber

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It’s not me,

It’s all you. FFS, aren’t you right wingers always bleating on about personal responsibility? Take some, and address what YOU said.

6 hours ago, brenthutch said:

Jean-Pierre, upon being appointed press secretary lead off with her credentials.

Those aren’t her credentials. She’s allowed to be proud of breaking through the conservative hiring prejudices that previous only let incompetent straight white people in. The prejudices you have no problem with at all.

The thing is that no one needs to state they’re a white male in a position of power. It’s the default. People don’t talk about the default. Moving the needle to “human” being the default would be nice. But it’s clear that isn’t the case as long as the clothes and hair of females are analyzed and mentioned, and not that of males.

And yes, sometimes women do want their clothes to be noticed, but that’s partly because that’s how womanly worth is defined for many, and partly for the same reason that men hold their paunch in when posing for a picture  

Wendy P. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jakee said:

It’s all you. FFS, aren’t you right wingers always bleating on about personal responsibility? Take some, and address what YOU said.

Those aren’t her credentials. She’s allowed to be proud of breaking through the conservative hiring prejudices that previous only let incompetent straight white people in. The prejudices you have no problem with at all.

You guys don’t get it.  When an affirmative action pick fails it hurts the very people it was supposed to ‘represent’.  If Harris was a successful VP, she may very well have been our next President. Now the only path for her is for Joe to go down.  It doesn’t look good when the first black/immigrant/gay/women has a cringe worthy performance on the podium and then has to be backed up by a white/straight/ex-military/male.  
I agree there have been other terrible press secretaries in the past but forgive me for not including a critical analysis of George Cortelyou because he is no longer the WH press secretary.

You guys don’t get it.  When an affirmative action pick fails it hurts the very people it was supposed to ‘represent’. 

Bigoted action picks never hurt white people. So what do you suggest - if you’re picking between a bunch of people who you’re not sure will succeed, you’d best pick the white guy because otherwise you’re hurting black people?

Come on man, you know how transparent that is.

I agree there have been other terrible press secretaries in the past but forgive me for not including a critical analysis of George Cortelyou because he is no longer the WH press secretary.

Lol, your discomfort is obvious. You do t need to go back to George whoever. You’ve been posting here way longer than there has been this one press secretary. You never had a problem with how any of the previous incompetent ones were hired, because they were all white.

2 hours ago, brenthutch said:

It doesn’t look good when the first black/immigrant/gay/women has a cringe worthy performance on the podium and then has to be backed up by a white/straight/ex-military/male.  

So, she went low on her first big way and she's in the Black/Gay/Immigrant sector. Not good, but it happens to the best of us. By thinking it proves something, you show us more about yourself than her.

• Like 4