gowlerk

PC Party of Canada leadership race

He has high name recognition. "Poilievre has no subtleties. He may win the leadership but his odds of being elected PM are very long because he comes across as dangerous.

Charest begins by saying there is something different about Canada right now, as well as the world around us....Charest want us to believe that we’re not safe anymore. Is he running a fear campaign...Poilievre has no subtleties. He may win the leadership but his odds of being elected PM are very long because he comes across as dangerous."

I would start going to church again if a moderate, level headed conservative could challenge Trudeau and have a decent environmental policy. But genetically engineered flying pigs will take flight first.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

I joined this party just so I could vote in the upcoming leadership contest. I'm leaning toward Charest at the moment. Any opinions out there?

I feel the same. He is really the only candidate able to win a national election. Especially Poilievre would guarantee another Liberal win, likely a majority this time.

The problem the federal conservatives have is that the leader appears to have to take a pretty "extreme" stance in the leadership race, which they then have to change during the federal elections. This opens them up to accusations of flip/flopping, not being honest and hiding their true intentions. Just makes them too easy to attack.

I will most likely vote for Charest in the leadership race.

2 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Speaking of which, Jason Kenney is suddenly available. But alas, the entry deadline has passed.

IMO he fell on his sword. He made many pandemic mistakes. The popularity of his party is way down. It might recover enough now to hold power. With current oil prices cash is pouring into Alberta.

"The provincial deficit, estimated as recently as November to be around $5.8 billion, is now eliminated.

The province is now reporting a $500 million surplus for the upcoming fiscal year, and surpluses of $900 million and $700 million projected for the two years to come." Naturally because its Alberta. Energy conservation, saving the energy windfall, are ideas laughed out the door. Each Albertan gets $50 a month back for 3 months(electricity) $444 for a carbon tax rebate and on and on. Imagine Texas mild and you have an Albertan.

Interesting contrast to US conservatives who revel in sex scandals, felonies, etc. Yet still believe they should carry on.

(edited)

Jean Charest is from my home riding of Sherbrooke, Quebec. I distrusted Charest the first time he ran for office and I still distrust him.

He started as a lawyer = 1 point against him.

Then he became a career politician = 2nd point against him.

Then he switched parties = 3rd point against him.

Then he suggested a return to Quebec's fascist attitude towards gun control = 4th point against him.

By "Quebec fascist" gun control, I mean that Quebec was the only province against cancelling the federal long-gun registry. Then Quebec asked for all the data on Quebec gun-owners. Ottawa refused to hand over that data. Quebec's attitude towards gun-control is the exact opposite of American libertarian conservatives. While I may not agree with the NRA, I still see Charest's attitudes as un-conservative.

Quebec gun-control attitudes are tied to the Quebec Provincial Police not wanting to be out-gunned by criminals. I left Quebec after I learned how professional the Quebec Provincial Police are ... circa age 20. 

Bottom line: I instinctively distrust career politicians like Charest.

Edited by riggerrob
add a sentence

9 hours ago, riggerrob said:

Jean Charest is from my home riding of Sherbrooke, Quebec. I distrusted Charest the first time he ran for office and I still distrust him.

He started as a lawyer = 1 point against him.

Then he became a career politician = 2nd point against him.

Then he switched parties = 3rd point against him.

Then he suggested a return to Quebec's fascist attitude towards gun control = 4th point against him.

By "Quebec fascist" gun control, I mean that Quebec was the only province against cancelling the federal long-gun registry. Then Quebec asked for all the data on Quebec gun-owners. Ottawa refused to hand over that data. Quebec's attitude towards gun-control is the exact opposite of American libertarian conservatives. While I may not agree with the NRA, I still see Charest's attitudes as un-conservative.

Quebec gun-control attitudes are tied to the Quebec Provincial Police not wanting to be out-gunned by criminals. I left Quebec after I learned how professional the Quebec Provincial Police are ... circa age 20. 

Bottom line: I instinctively distrust career politicians like Charest.

Thanks. Very helpful.