BillyVance

Skyride affiliated DZ at Waverly, TN is history

Well, it took a couple weeks to make sure it was accurate, but there you have it.

Yes. The people who ran the DZ at Waverly, and previously at Clarksville, TN, and before that, at Prattville, AL and before that, at Pell City, AL, have been cut loose and shut down.

Attached is a screen shot from facebook that was sent to me. It pretty much explains how it went down, but what led up to it was non-payment of bills for the last few months.

When you're a crook, it's hard to find good people to work for you and stick with you. Because eventually, they become you and get greedy. It's happened before.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Not exactly sure who to give credit to in that arena, but for what it's worth to the ones who have tirelessly fought them and their scam, regardless if you guys had any bearing on this particular outcome or not, it's a win! Now the customers can go to dropzones who they should be going to and not as apt to be scooped up by those lairs down there in Waverly!

Well, from what I heard, it was a decision made by Cary and his business partners to pull the plug on that DZ... By business partners, I mean Hans formerly of The Farm (which just merged with Cary's Skydive Georgia DZ and relocated to Rome) and Skydive Alabama in Cullman.

Yeah, you heard me right. Shocked I was when I was told this, but I should have seen it coming. :|

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Remember when I warned years ago that Cary had big dreams of taking over DZ's?

Yeah, look what's going on now. He took the majority of tandem business away from nearby DZ's making profitability tough on them. He bought Alabama Skydiving Inc in Pell City. Now Skydive Alabama in Cullman is a partner DZ. Cary's own DZ in Cedartown was a tandem mill with no fun jumpers and a small LZ. The Farm was having trouble getting tandems. Even though they had all the fun jumpers. Pluss, the business relationship between the The Farm's property owner and the DZ manager soured for some reason, and they decided to merge with Cary's DZ and relocate to Rome. The Farm property's owner wants his own DZ in place as far as I know. All this is what I've been told from credible sources.

So the new relocated Skydive The Farm is a Skyride DZ now? :o

Atlanta, where the DZ history is like middle school girls. :S

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Bolas

That is what I hear too. I got the info from a Tennessee DZO that we work with for Charity Skydive.

Edited to add..... [:/]
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Bolas

Not sure what the new name is yet... but yeah... :|

We all know Hans is a great person. He deserves a DZ and runs a great one at that. He had to relocate and wants to make the best place he can in Rome.

We all have heard about Cary and his operations. He has great business ideas but too bad he is in the wrong industry.

Hans needs the backing of someone to have the DZ he wants and Cary is a great benefactor. Hans does not want to leave skydiving ownership it is in his blood. He will open a new DZ in Rome and it will be great. Maybe he will convince Cary to stop the money sucking and contribute to a good DZ.

People will disagree with his decisions and that is understood. But Hans has skydiving in his blood and I believe this whole thing will turnout for for good.

:)

Ashtanga

We all know Hans is a great person. He deserves a DZ and runs a great one at that. He had to relocate and wants to make the best place he can in Rome.

We all have heard about Cary and his operations. He has great business ideas but too bad he is in the wrong industry.

Hans needs the backing of someone to have the DZ he wants and Cary is a great benefactor. Hans does not want to leave skydiving ownership it is in his blood. He will open a new DZ in Rome and it will be great. Maybe he will convince Cary to stop the money sucking and contribute to a good DZ.

People will disagree with his decisions and that is understood. But Hans has skydiving in his blood and I believe this whole thing will turnout for for good.

Unfortunately.... all it takes is one drop of poison to kill you in a glass of pure good for you water. I hope it works out for the good but I worry that is not how it goes down. I do not see how any good can come from this. [:/]

Even worse it gives some sort of legitimacy to Cary.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.

I cannot disagree with you more on this. What is it that Cary has done that made you make this statement "great business ideas"?

Rstanley0312

I cannot disagree with you more on this. What is it that Cary has done that made you make this statement "great business ideas"?

His great business ideas really has no place in skydiving, as small as this great community is. What Cary has done is pull tandems away from competitors and make it difficult for them to make ends meet, to the point that they close down or sell the DZ to him.

A drop zone should serve a specific region in an ideal world. Sure there are going to be other DZ's in the same region, but why should a tandem customer be fooled into driving 6 hours to a skyride DZ when there's a perfectly safe DZ an hour away? If you have a problem getting your website enough hits to be visible ahead of skyride sites in search engines, talk to jumpdude on here. Or get on his website www.1800skyrideripoff.com and contact him there. He hasn't updated the DZ list in a while, having been busy lately. He'll tell you how it works.

I know Hans has to make things work, but he is doing exactly what Cary wanted.

Fuck Cary. I'm not spending one dollar on that shit-stain, nor on his business partners.

If making money is the only goal, yes he has great business ideas. Unfortunately there are a great many "business people" that believe if you cant go to jail doing it that makes is ok.

I'm not one of those.

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

BillyVance

His great business ideas really has no place in skydiving, as small as this great community is.

Deceptive business practices, fraud, and coersion have no place in any industry or community.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Iago

***We all know Hans is a great person. He deserves a DZ and runs a great one at that. He had to relocate and wants to make the best place he can in Rome.

Is ASC at Cedartown closing down as well?

Yes. Just relocating to the Rome, GA airport. It's a big wide open airport with 3 runways intersecting each other. I remember jumping there back in the 90's when Air Ventures with the Griffins was open then.

Iago

Yes. Just relocating to the Rome, GA airport. It's a big wide open airport with 3 runways intersecting each other. I remember jumping there back in the 90's when Air Ventures with the Griffins was open then.

That's a great spot for a dropzone. They have that whole big section in the corner all to themselves.

Unfortunately it's a pretty long drive out there from ATL.

It's been tried several times over the years.

But knowing Cary he'll be having people driving down from Kentucky because they think it's the only spot in the country.

That's the problem I have with that needle-dick shitbag. >:(

Lethal1ty17

I jumped at AST for a good 4 months while I was living in Southern Kentucky. I enjoyed every trip out there and it seemed like a pretty legit operation to me. All of the people were friendly, too. I've never heard the term "Skyride" until just now.

Well, you've been jumping with a bunch of CRIMINALS!
How many tandem customers have you seen them offer the upgrade for so called "Extra Altitude"?
How many tandem customers have you met there who came from far away places like Indiana or Illinois, or even Michigan?
I HIGHLY suggest that you read the info in the following links and see who you've been jumping with! and do a forum search for the word "Skyride" and see what you find!

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=3732210;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1311069;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3016001;search_string=what%20can%20we%20do%20about%20skyride;#3016001
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Now that you mention it, I do remember repeatedly hearing something like $10 for extra altitude for tandems that "doubled freefall time" but I'd never seen any tandems get out lower than the 14-14.5 that we were jumping at, nor did I ever witness anyone turning it down, and they had a ton of tandems. I also remember several people coming from a decent distance to jump there when there were probably other DZ's closer but I didn't think much of it due to the volume of customers.

Lethal1ty17

Now that you mention it, I do remember repeatedly hearing something like $10 for extra altitude for tandems that "doubled freefall time" but I'd never seen any tandems get out lower than the 14-14.5 that we were jumping at, nor did I ever witness anyone turning it down, and they had a ton of tandems. I also remember several people coming from a decent distance to jump there when there were probably other DZ's closer but I didn't think much of it due to the volume of customers.

Now would be a good time to open your eyes and educate yourself. There have been past threads with extensive discussion on Skyride. These threads would be a good place to start:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view_flat;post=1311069;page=1;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;mh=25;

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3016001

Edited to clean out the search strings in the URLs

ETA: I see Jumpdude has already posted the same links.

So in reading this entire thread I am still confused. Is it that Skyride pulled out of Waverly with all Skyride's equipment, computers and plane or did AST separate itself from Skyride and take all their equipment? Basically, who owned the equipment Skyride or AST?

There appears to be a "new dropzone" opening up in Waverly called Music City Skydiving and they are building up their inventory of equipment etc. I think (again I dont know for sure) that some of the up jumpers there have taken upon themselves to keep an active dropzone open at that location and are working hard to get equipment in order to open their doors. So I tend to lean against the conspiracy theory of "skyride" just changed names. It appears that one DZO left and new and hopefully more reputable reputation is gained at this "new DZ". Well that's what I hope anyways because I just recently jumped there and really thought the people were super and appeared to me to be in it for the joy of the sport.
THRIVING IN MY DASH!!