1 1
boozy

Leave this ancient website and join Skydiving on Discord

(edited)

We obviously like our ancient website. I personally think facebook groups and other online formats  suck compared to a forum.

Other obviously disagree, but that doesn't surprise me.

They lend themselves to the type of interaction that fits well with most peoples gnat like attention spans. They are designed to push up the frequency and volume of communication for their advertisement revenue, so you get the same post and discussion 1000x without any of the depth.

Edited by DougH
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, DougH said:

We obviously like our ancient website. I personally think facebook groups and other online formats  suck compared to a forum.

They lend themselves to the type of interaction that fits well with most peoples gnat like attention spans. They are designed to push up the frequency and volume of communication for their advertisement revenue, so you get the same post and discussion 1000x without any of the depth.

Hi Doug,

I could not have said it better.  :thumbup:

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

On 5/18/2022 at 3:19 AM, piisfish said:

You’re free to go. I believe that inciting people to leave is bad form. 

Yeah, the mods didn't like it too much when I announced a blackberry BBM group over a decade ago. It has become a groupme group to accommodate different phones. The number of people in it has remained pretty much constant, 8-9 members, zero filters. We're all old friends shooting the shit on there. 

Bonfire used to be hopping a decade or so ago. Literally at least a hundred posts a day from a bunch of people. Now? Less than 5-10 posts, if that. I don't know what happened. Even then, I don't think the mods mind that much. Whatever. (shrugs) 

22 hours ago, DougH said:

kind of like any discussion on speakers corner here. 

1 hour ago, BillyVance said:

Yeah, the mods didn't like it too much when I announced a blackberry BBM group over a decade ago.

I’m not sure I understand why. But then 10 years ago this was the place. Personally, I completely agree with the earlier analysis of a forum format being better for actual discussion. And I’ll admit I don’t see the benefits of completely unmoderated discussion, but then I’m on the polite side, and don’t find a venue where being the biggest asshole means you win (or get heard the most) to be attractive  

Wendy P. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

It doesn't work all that well on mobile with small screens.

By format I mean the core mechanics of the platform, not the styling. There's no reason a forum couldn't be designed to work as well on mobile as any other platform.

5 hours ago, wmw999 said:

I’m not sure I understand why. But then 10 years ago this was the place. Personally, I completely agree with the earlier analysis of a forum format being better for actual discussion. And I’ll admit I don’t see the benefits of completely unmoderated discussion, but then I’m on the polite side, and don’t find a venue where being the biggest asshole means you win (or get heard the most) to be attractive  

Wendy P. 

Absolutely. The sad, simple, fact of the matter is that some kids will always need to be held by an ear lobe when speaking in public.

• Like 1