1 1
billvon

Coming power shortages

5 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Re:  With Vogtle starting up we have a much better idea of the actual cost.

The start-up costs are nowhere near the total costs of a nuke plant.

Dealing with the waste nearly forever makes nukes not worth the money to build/operate them.

Jerry Baumchen

Energy Northwest - Wikipedia

Who gives a hoot? As long as we can con the no regulation Southern Red States into building them we have a winner. Of course, if they start voting blue as has Georgia we need to subsidize them causin' then they be kin. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, billvon said:

France is currently running on 10% MOX (mixed-oxide fuel - basically recycled nuclear waste) and is going to 30% within 10 years.  All US reactors could use 50% MOX right now.  Some US reactors and all Canadian reactors can use 100% MOX.

Hi Bill,

Re:  is going tocould use + can use /=/ are using.

Back in the '50's we were being told that nuclear power would be so cheap that we would no longer have power meters on our houses.  Oops, that did not work out so great.

The de-commissioning costs are enormous; and, those are the real costs that seem to go on forever.

Just up the road from you is:  San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station - Wikipedia

Controversy continues over Edison's plans for on-site dry cask storage of the considerable amount of nuclear waste created during the facility's decades of operation.

I am sure you know more about the problems/costs with this plant than I do.

The problems/costs with on-site storage is a major problem here in the northwest with Hanford:  Hanford Site - Wikipedia

While I am a ret'd engineer, I will always be an engineer.  I can only hope that, in the future, we will be able to make nukes such that they are financially possible; but, that must IMO include all costs.

Today, you and I will have to agree to disagree on using nukes as being a good thing.

Jerry Baumchen

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

They are, right now, using MOX.  They can expand their usage of it.

Keep in mind that that's what we are also assuming happens with solar.

8 hours ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Bill,

Back in the '50's we were being told that nuclear power would be so cheap that we would no longer have power meters on our houses.  Oops, that did not work out so great.

Jerry Baumchen

Back in the '50s we were told fusion power** was the power source of the future.

It still is and still will be during my lifetime.

** excluding the big fusion reactor some 93 million miles away.

• Like 1