5 5
JerryBaumchen

Abortion Commentary

Someone was saying in another thread that the 10 year old Ohio girl pregnant from being abused and raped should have had a "D&C" at home provided by a local doc who he assumes would have ignored the law and pretended it was something other than an abortion. The story linked makes it clear that an Indiana doctor provided a medical abortion. Inducted by a pill instead of a difficult medical procedure that involves having the girl spread her legs and be further invaded and traumatized. Then that doctor was and is still being harassed and threatened by the local official. Who are working hard to ensure that pregnant 10 year olds no longer are able to avoid being forced by the government to give birth.

Can you say Taliban?

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2022/07/26/npr-indiana-doctor-abortion-ohio-10-year-old?fbclid=IwAR1RM_k4AyFqxGDW0uPwblqiA-Zn9s2JedyRwyiJqQIB0jh76t7UiNxvVY0

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

Someone was saying in another thread that the 10 year old Ohio girl pregnant from being abused and raped should have had a "D&C" at home provided by a local doc who he assumes would have ignored the law and pretended it was something other than an abortion. The story linked makes it clear that an Indiana doctor provided a medical abortion. Inducted by a pill instead of a difficult medical procedure that involves having the girl spread her legs and be further invaded and traumatized. Then that doctor was and is still being harassed and threatened by the local official. Who are working hard to ensure that pregnant 10 year olds no longer are able to avoid being forced by the government to give birth.

Can you say Taliban?

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2022/07/26/npr-indiana-doctor-abortion-ohio-10-year-old?fbclid=IwAR1RM_k4AyFqxGDW0uPwblqiA-Zn9s2JedyRwyiJqQIB0jh76t7UiNxvVY0

If it were a prisoner it would be "cruel and unusual" punishment to force anyone to give birth against their will.  But OK if it's a 10y/o rape victime  in GOP-land, it seems.

42 minutes ago, kallend said:

If it were a prisoner it would be "cruel and unusual" punishment to force anyone to give birth against their will.  But OK if it's a 10y/o rape victime  in GOP-land, it seems.

The important thing to remember is that while the breeze you feel on your face may be assisted by butterflies far away, 10 year olds being forced to give birth to their rapists child happens in isolation from any vote made in distant red states.

4 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

The important thing to remember is that while the breeze you feel on your face may be assisted by butterflies far away, 10 year olds being forced to give birth to their rapists child happens in isolation from any vote made in distant red states.

The problem I think a lot of us have when thinking/talking about this is that we simply don’t understand that Republican policy makers view this as a feature, not a bug.

On 7/26/2022 at 1:18 PM, jakee said:
On 7/26/2022 at 10:39 AM, brenthutch said:

The “pro-choice” side has already done it.  Abortion is now called “reproductive health care”. Orwell would be proud.

Abortion is a part of reproductive health care. Any attempt to redefine it as something else would be Political Correctness gone mad.

And now they're talking about limiting other types of reproductive health care, such as contraception. Not all contraception is prescribed for preventing pregnancy.  Some is used to treat other reproductive health issues, and some to prevent transmission of infections. 

1 hour ago, TriGirl said:

And now they're talking about limiting other types of reproductive health care, such as contraception. Not all contraception is prescribed for preventing pregnancy.  Some is used to treat other reproductive health issues, and some to prevent transmission of infections. 

But - and here's the key for most republican men - they are used on women.  So banning/restricting them means no loss of freedom as far as they can tell.

On 7/26/2022 at 8:39 AM, brenthutch said:

The “pro-choice” side has already done it.  Abortion is now called “reproductive health care”. Orwell would be proud.

So republicans reference Orwell when they wish to implement a dystopian government with theology as its base? Got it.

22 hours ago, gowlerk said:

... Then that doctor was and is still being harassed and threatened by the local official...

...Can you say Taliban?

To be clear, the official who's threatening and defaming her is the INDIANA STATE ATTORNEY GENERAL.

That's not what I'd call a 'local' official.

The AG is also facing a defamation suit and a complaint to the Bar Association.

2 minutes ago, wolfriverjoe said:

That's not what I'd call a 'local' official.

I get your meaning here. Since this is essentially an interstate matter I was considering the AG to be a local. But yes he would likely be a statewide elected official under the US system of mixing politics with law.

14 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

I get your meaning here. Since this is essentially an interstate matter I was considering the AG to be a local. But yes he would likely be a statewide elected official under the US system of mixing politics with law.

Good point. After plain old racism and xenophobia, AGs always having one eye on their re-election campaigns or the well worn pathway to higher office has to be responsible for more miscarriages of justice than any other single factor. 

(edited)
1 hour ago, Phil1111 said:

So republicans reference Orwell when they wish to implement a dystopian government with theology as its base? Got it.

I am ambivalent on the topic of abortion. The libertarian part of me is solidly pro-choice. Having witnessed the birth of my two children, the father half of me says it’s not so simple. That said, the doublespeak to which I was referring, was the replacement of the word ‘abortion’ with the phrase ‘reproductive health care’, as in “she had to cross state lines to get her reproductive health care”.

Or as the lefties would say “the birthing person had to cross state lines to get zer reproductive health care”:/

Edited by brenthutch

25 minutes ago, brenthutch said:

That said, the doublespeak to which I was referring, was the replacement of the word ‘abortion’ with the phrase ‘reproductive health care’, as in “she had to cross state lines to get her reproductive health care”.

Abortion is part of reproductive healthcare. It is quite obviously PC doublespeak to claim otherwise.

1 hour ago, brenthutch said:

Part of. The only part that ends a life.

Nope.  IUD's cause non-implantation of embryos, which I am sure you would consider to be ending a life. 

But good on you for admitting that reproductive care includes abortion (and IUD's, and Pap smears, and exams etc etc.)  Keep this up and you may even start questioning some of the propaganda that FOX has been ordering you to spread.

Considering that 10-20% of known pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion (= miscarriage), and the true rate including the first month or so when most women do not know they are pregnant may be over 50% (link), I would really like to see these Republican attorneys general haul God into court and charge her with murder.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Considering that 10-20% of known pregnancies end in spontaneous abortion (= miscarriage), and the true rate including the first month or so when most women do not know they are pregnant may be over 50% (link), I would really like to see these Republican attorneys general haul God into court and charge her with murder.

And that's only the known pregnancies -- ones that end in time for the period to be only a little late are completely unknown.

Wendy P.

20 minutes ago, GeorgiaDon said:

Don't give those zealous fuckwits any ideas. 

If any state legislatures succeed in passing bills that specifically define fetuses as whole people it's only a matter of time before a woman who miscarries is prosecuted for manslaughter after doing something 'dangerous' that lead to it happening. Like going on a bike ride or driving over a speed bump. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GeorgiaDon said:

That over 50% includes nonimplantations of embryos (or "living human babies" by right wing terminology.)  So there's a better than 50% chance that nature will "abort" any given pregnancy.

1 hour ago, jakee said:

Don't give those zealous fuckwits any ideas. 

If any state legislatures succeed in passing bills that specifically define fetuses as whole people it's only a matter of time before a woman who miscarries is prosecuted for manslaughter after doing something 'dangerous' that lead to it happening. Like going on a bike ride or driving over a speed bump. 

If I were a Texas DZO I certainly wouldn't let any pregnant females skydive. And since those women themselves may not yet even know they are pregnant, might just be better to not let them skydive at all....

5 hours ago, SkyDekker said:

If I were a Texas DZO I certainly wouldn't let any pregnant females skydive. And since those women themselves may not yet even know they are pregnant, might just be better to not let them skydive at all....

Well, you can only imagine the stress caused by being cut from a 20-way or failing AFF 4. Someone caused it so someone needs to pay, that's sure. You suppose the recoil of an AR-15 could be the cause of a spontaneous abortion? Maybe the gun makers need to be sued.  What about dimwits with loud rap music playing in their cars? 

53 minutes ago, JoeWeber said:

Well, you can only imagine the stress caused by being cut from a 20-way or failing AFF 4. Someone caused it so someone needs to pay, that's sure. You suppose the recoil of an AR-15 could be the cause of a spontaneous abortion? Maybe the gun makers need to be sued.  What about dimwits with loud rap music playing in their cars? 

Hi Joe & other commenters,

What you post is what makes attorneys rich.  

Keep up with it, my son could use the work.

Jerry Baumchen

9 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe & other commenters,

What you post is what makes attorneys rich.  

Keep up with it, my son could use the work.

Jerry Baumchen

Happy to help. With any bit of luck maybe one or another or our so called conservative posters will recognize the root cause of our dystopian present where anyone can sue or shoot anyone on any thin pretext and have an epiphany: holy selfish votes Batman it’s us who did it.

11 hours ago, JoeWeber said:

Happy to help. With any bit of luck maybe one or another or our so called conservative posters will recognize the root cause of our dystopian present where anyone can sue or shoot anyone on any thin pretext and have an epiphany: holy selfish votes Batman it’s us who did it.

Seated in the leather clad sofas of book lined law offices. Conservative lawyers toast each other with the finest 40 year old bourbon. They had four years of trump. The biggest stimulus program since the invention of the Model T.

Now with the new court tilted in their favor. With liberals properly riled up and rich with government subsidies. They plan new actions because republicans will take midterms. Lady Justice is blindfolded so her purse and the public purse is open for pillaging.