5 5
JerryBaumchen

Abortion Commentary

5 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Just stop. Montana has been voting Republican since 1952 (I think only a couple of times has a Democrat won). Trump ran unopposed in Montana and won all 27 delegates. I have several moderate Republican veteran friends living there and visit them often - they/we are like-minded. You can thank the moderate Republicans who think this is more right than not. 

Not every Republican is "Reich, Facist, Racist, Cuckservative, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. etc. Enough already. Man that gets old.  

He didn't claim otherwise.  The defeat was of the "reich wing", which excludes moderate (traditional) Republicans.

High time the moderate wing of the GOP got some balls and stood up to the  MAGA loonies.

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Just stop. Montana has been voting Republican since 1952 (I think only a couple of times has a Democrat won). Trump ran unopposed in Montana and won all 27 delegates. I have several moderate Republican veteran friends living there and visit them often - they/we are like-minded. You can thank the moderate Republicans who think this is more right than not. 

Not every Republican is "Reich, Facist, Racist, Cuckservative, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. etc. Enough already. Man that gets old.  

I wonder why it’s getting old? Hey, I have an idea, quit being a facet of the problem by being any kind of so called Republican. Help wither the numbers and show real leadership and stand up to not be counted. Instead, register Democrat and identify online and with your buddies as a conservative Democrat. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Then he’s not referring to them, is he? He’s referring to the fringe MAGA crowd who the moderates have allowed to dominate the state legislature and pass these dystopian laws.

43 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Not every Republican is "Reich, Facist, Racist, Cuckservative, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc. etc. 

‘Cuckservative’ is actually a term that the fascists and racists (yes really) use to denigrate your moderate friends for not being MAGA enough. 

• Like 1

An example of politicians ruling, instead of representing:

56% of Montana people say abortion should be legal in all/most cases:

Pew Research Center: Views about abortion among adults in Montana

Last year an anti-abortion referendum in MT failed by 53% / 47% vote:

How Montana’s LR-131 ‘Born-Alive’ referendum failed

So if the politicians of MT actually listened to the citizens, this would not even be an issue.

• Like 1

(edited)
19 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Justin "Beau" King was talking about that this morning. Apparently, it will take EVERY GOP vote to override. So if even a single GOP rep votes against the override, it will fail.

Edited by ryoder

31 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Justin "Beau" King was talking about that this morning. Apparently, it will take EVERY GOP vote to override. So if even a single GOP rep votes against the override, it will fail.

Well then.

We shall see if there are any 'moderate' Rs in NC who are willing to go against the party line.

Or are they all "reich wing"?

27 minutes ago, BIGUN said:

Isn't that what just happened in Montana. 

No.

The R legislature passed laws that the R governor signed.

The state Supreme Court struck them down.

From the article Ryoder linked:

The Montana Supreme Court unanimously extended abortion protections in the state on Friday – amid an ongoing effort by the GOP governor and legislators to erode women’s medical rights.

Earlier this month, the Montana legislature passed – and Gov. Greg Gianforte signed – a series of laws to roll back women’s abortion rights  – including an effort to further strengthen the law just found unconstitutional by limiting abortions to physicians alone. That law would likely be considered a dead letter.

Republicans also passed a bill that aims to undo the precedent, the 1999 Armstrong case,  on which the state’s highest court relied in deciding the latest case, stylized as Weems v. Montana.

I don't know the makeup of the Montana state SC. 

But it's pretty clear they see the 'right to privacy' as important.

It's actually clearly stated in the Montana state constitution. 
(this is covered pretty well in the linked article)

1 hour ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well then.

We shall see if there are any 'moderate' Rs in NC who are willing to go against the party line.

Hi Joe,

Re:  any 'moderate' Rs in NC

Well, here is one from SC:  Nikki Haley: Federal abortion ban is unrealistic - POLITICO

Jerry Baumchen

1 minute ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Joe,

Re:  any 'moderate' Rs in NC

Well, here is one from SC:  Nikki Haley: Federal abortion ban is unrealistic - POLITICO

Jerry Baumchen

I wouldn't call her 'moderate'. 

She's just saying that it should be up to the states to decide. 
And that getting anything done at the federal level isn't likely to happen (and I agree with that).

She's pretty strongly anti-abortion, but refuses to clearly state her position because she knows what that would do to her chances of getting elected.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

Well then.

King was saying that about 4 of those R's campaigned on a promise to preserve reproductive rights, but didn't name them.

12 hours ago, wolfriverjoe said:

I wouldn't call her 'moderate'. 

She's just saying that it should be up to the states to decide. 

Err, is she? In that article at least she’s simply saying that they don’t have the votes to institute a national ban, not that they shouldn’t.

So a Republican lawmaker has come right out and admitted it - the state has more rights over a woman's body than the woman does,

“At some point in time, the right of the state to see the unborn child born does take precedent over the woman’s right to her body.”; South Carolina state Sen. Tom Davis (R):

(edited)
45 minutes ago, kallend said:

So a Republican lawmaker has come right out and admitted it - the state has more rights over a woman's body than the woman does,

“At some point in time, the right of the state to see the unborn child born does take precedent over the woman’s right to her body.”; South Carolina state Sen. Tom Davis (R):

Well yes, this has always been the issue. The right of a woman versus the right of society to enforce the edict "go forth and multiply". It all comes down to who controls the rules of society. Up with freedom, down with repression! Women are not breeding stock.

Edited by gowlerk

4 hours ago, gowlerk said:

Well yes, this has always been the issue. The right of a woman versus the right of society to enforce the edict "go forth and multiply". It all comes down to who controls the rules of society. Up with freedom, down with repression! Women are not breeding stock.

Hi Ken,

Re:  Well yes, this has always been the issue.

When I joined the GOP in the late '60's, this was not an issue.  Back then, the GOP took no stance on a woman getting an abortion.

Jerry Baumchen

28 minutes ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

Re:  Well yes, this has always been the issue.

When I joined the GOP in the late '60's, this was not an issue.  Back then, the GOP took no stance on a woman getting an abortion.

Jerry Baumchen

Maybe someone could 'identify as a man,' at least long enough for the procedure.  "I'm a man, and I'm having a growth removed." 

Hey, suspension of disbelief might be the ticket.

5 hours ago, winsor said:

Maybe someone could 'identify as a man,' at least long enough for the procedure.  "I'm a man, and I'm having a growth removed." 

Hey, suspension of disbelief might be the ticket.

Good on ya' Winsor, that was close to being a joke.

Three girls walk into a Texas emergency room. First girl say's: I'd like an abortion. "Sorry, lady, and watch your tounge, next!". Second girl says: I need help, I tried to give myself an abortion. "Say what? On your knees and put your hands on your head! You in a heap of trouble Sissy!". Third girl says: Am I in the right place? I had sex with my boy friend and when he was, well you know, he said he voted for Obama!. "Oh, you poor thing!. Now you just follow me and we'll fix you right up."

See, it's easy.

6 minutes ago, kallend said:

"Republicans should recognize that every time they open their mouths to talk about banning abortion, an independent voter joins the Democrats."; Gov. Chris Sununu (R), Governor of New Hampshire, writing in the WaPo 6/6/23

I saw a clip from an interview with him yesterday. It is a shame he is not running for 2024. He sounds like the most rational candidate the GOP could have.

19 hours ago, ryoder said:

I saw a clip from an interview with him yesterday. It is a shame he is not running for 2024. He sounds like the most rational candidate the GOP could have.

Why do you think he’s not running? 

What chance does rationality have in the GOP primary system these days?

Rolling Stone: Mike Pence May Have Inadvertently Protected Abortion Rights in Indiana

Last week, a superior court judge granted class action status to a suit seeking to strike down the state’s near-total ban on abortion on the grounds that it violates Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), which then-Governor Pence signed into law in 2015.

Suit filed by ACLU.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Rolling Stone: Mike Pence May Have Inadvertently Protected Abortion Rights in Indiana

Last week, a superior court judge granted class action status to a suit seeking to strike down the state’s near-total ban on abortion on the grounds that it violates Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA), which then-Governor Pence signed into law in 2015.

Suit filed by ACLU.

Well, that's not what he meant.

He just wanted people who worship the SAME GOD as he does to be able to discriminate against the 'heathens' and 'sinners'.

Almost exactly the same as those bigots who want to see the Ten Commandments displayed in schools and courthouses get all butt-hurt when the Satanists want an equivalent display.

• Like 1