5 5
JerryBaumchen

Abortion Commentary

2 hours ago, ryoder said:

Indeed.

After banging the drum of anti-abortion for decades, just to gain the support of the American Taliban, they suddenly find themselves in the awkward position of the dog that caught the car.

Hi Robert,

I was just thinking that the other day.  I wonder what they will come up with now.

And, the Dobbs decision just might be a Pandora's Box that they will wish that they had never opened.

Jerry Baumchen

Indeed.

After banging the drum of anti-abortion for decades, just to gain the support of the American Taliban, they suddenly find themselves in the awkward position of the dog that caught the car.

Lots of folks have been using that metaphor for this.

Every time I read it, I'm reminded of the old Cheech & Chong 'Ralph & Herbie' routine with 2 dogs having a conversation on the sidewalk.

"Lets chase cars and get off on the exhaust."

"Oh no sir boy, that stuff can give you brain damage."

"Brain damage from car exhaust?"

No man, brain damage from getting your head run over by the car's rear wheels."

27 minutes ago, gowlerk said:

In the other half the people will just have to elect politicians who they can agree with I guess.

I'm OK with electing politicians who I sometimes agree with, and whose intellectual honesty I can respect.

Wendy P.

4 hours ago, headoverheels said:

This route to statutes and amendments is only available in about half of the states.

https://ballotpedia.org/States_with_initiative_or_referendum

Interesting thing here in CO;  Recreational marijuana was legalized as a result of Amendment 64 in November 2012. The governor at the time (Hickenlooper) actually opposed it, but when it passed he took the pragmatic attitude: "The people have spoken". Then he set about implementing it.

Had it gone through the usual path of a bill initiated in the legislature, I don't thnk he would have signed it.

1 hour ago, gowlerk said:

In the other half the people will just have to elect politicians who they can agree with I guess.

Hi Ken,

They can only do this if the GOP meddling with the election process allows them to do so.

One thing we know for damn sure, the GOP does not want to let people vote in free & honest elections.

Jerry Baumchen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JerryBaumchen said:

Hi Ken,

They can only do this if the GOP meddling with the election process allows them to do so.

One thing we know for damn sure, the GOP does not want to let people vote in free & honest elections.

Jerry Baumchen

They know full well they can't win a free & fair election.

They've admitted it more than once.

One report (lots more can be found with a search):
https://www.wgbh.org/news/national-news/2021/03/04/republicans-cant-get-elected-unless-they-suppress-votes-says-former-suffolk-county-sheriff

28 minutes ago, ryoder said:

Lindsey Graham and GOP set to try to push through national abortion ban

So much for that old excuse that this was about state's rights, eh Lindsey?

Yeppers, it's called the “Protecting pain-capable unborn children from late-term abortions act”,  because science?

And BIGUN has the big brass balls to say democrats are fuck-ups (by any measure we are, obviously, but also obviously we don't have a corner on the market). WTF do those asshats think, that women love being trod on and nothing will ever motivate them to vote in sufficient numbers?  

Anyone else think that maybe Lindsey Graham is the wrong person to be putting legislation forward that will never affect him nor his partner?

Not me! I'm thinking he is perfect for the job. He thinks he's brilliant but is actually dumb as rocks. I just hope his master doesn't jerk his chain before he alienates and motivates previously unmotivated female voters.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gowlerk said:

The America Taliban branch of the GOP is coming out and showing it's true colours now that it feels all powerful and emboldened. A new meaning to the chant "lock her up, lock her up, lock her up". 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/politics/abortion-bans-murder-charges-invs/index.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/09/abortion-laws-pre-roe/671409/

Up until now they only wanted to go after the doctors. I shouldn’t be surprised they stepped it up. Apparently when many of the trigger laws that recently went into effect were passed, both pregnant women and doctors were trusted more than they are today.

NYT: Judge Temporarily Suspends Indiana Abortion Ban

In her ruling on Thursday, Judge Hanlon wrote that the Indiana Constitution includes a right to liberty and bodily autonomy, which reasonably includes decisions about family planning and “whether to carry a pregnancy to term.”

The ban just took effect a week ago.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2022 at 12:00 PM, gowlerk said:

The America Taliban branch of the GOP is coming out and showing it's true colours now that it feels all powerful and emboldened. A new meaning to the chant "lock her up, lock her up, lock her up". 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/09/20/politics/abortion-bans-murder-charges-invs/index.html

I will take male anti-abortionists seriously when they post a $300.000 every time they prevent an abortion.

Recent surveys show that it costs roughly $300,000 to raise a North American child until they are old enough to support themselves (18 ish years old).

"Call Jane" is a Hollywood film that debuted at a film festival during January 2022, but it only hit local cinemas this week (last week of October 2022). It is a fictionalized version (names were changed to protect the law-breakers) of the story about how a group of Chicago women who organized illegal abortions during the late 1960s, before Roe versus Wade legalized abortions in the USA.

I first heard about the film when the two leading ladies: Sigourney Weaver and Elizabeth Banks were interviewed on a TV talk show. The two actors really seemed to have the courage of their convictions. They strongly seemed to believe that their characters did the right thing.

On a personal note, this reminds me of all the times that Dr. Henry Morgantaler got dragged into Canadian courts during the 1960s and 1970s. Dr. Morgentaler started the first birth-control clinic in 1969, in Montreal where he prescribed birth control pills, vasectomies and performed abortions, long before they were legal in Canada.

Funny how a film about abortions only debuted two weeks before an American mid-term election. ?????

Next question: will the film "Call Jane" affect the mid-term elections in the USA?

On 9/20/2022 at 12:00 PM, gowlerk said:

Yep. They are now saying it out loud: no one has a right to say no to Christianity. Who could have seen that coming?

Eventually everything American gets exported to the UK, and because Sunak was appointed by Tory MPs instead of the whole country he's had to do a series of dirty deals with the far right of his party in exchange for their support.

So now we have an MP who voted to keep abortion illegal in NI, wants protestors to be able to march up to the doors of abortion clinics, wants the time limit on abortions in the UK to be drastically cut and doesn't want women to get any post abortion care... being appointed Minister for Women.

3 hours ago, jakee said:

Eventually everything American gets exported to the UK, and because Sunak was appointed by Tory MPs instead of the whole country he's had to do a series of dirty deals with the far right of his party in exchange for their support.

So now we have an MP who voted to keep abortion illegal in NI, wants protestors to be able to march up to the doors of abortion clinics, wants the time limit on abortions in the UK to be drastically cut and doesn't want women to get any post abortion care... being appointed Minister for Women.

Oh good. I was starting to worry that the UK would stop providing black humor for its former colonies. For some in the colonies a sense of superiority is enabled by such pandering to the MUKGA (Make UK Great Again) crowd.

2 hours ago, Phil1111 said:

Oh good. I was starting to worry that the UK would stop providing black humor for its former colonies. For some in the colonies a sense of superiority is enabled by such pandering to the MUKGA (Make UK Great Again) crowd.

MEGA seems better.  Screw the Scots, Welsh, NIrish.

• Like 1